Who here brings their knife out for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post #15 is what I use at home and LOVE it :thumbsup: (wouldn't insult my chef in a fine restaurant-only place to go since I can do VERY well at home and dating ended 36 years ago ;)). However, marcinek has pointed out his use of an XXXXL stabmaster (or some such) which keeps him out of some of the more exclusive places (at least that's what he blames it on :p) Really, if you need to bring your own knife to cut your steak, I suggest you are either having fun :) or need to find a better place. :(

I have never carried a special knife for eating out but many times I have used my knife, more on my kids food when they were little.
No one has ever questioned it.

For the ultimate experience - order coffee with your meal. After dulling your pocket knife on the ceramic plate, turn your empty coffee mug upside down and re-sharpen your knife, then strop it on the menu.

I use whatever I'm carrying when I cook steak as my steak knife. Simply because I k ow what's in my pocket is sharper than the crap the boss keeps in the drawers

I have a folder in my pocket...of course, but I don't use it for my food. The knives provided are usually good enough. I have thought about using my pocket sharpener on some of them, but never have, yet.

Don't think I have used one at a restaurant but I would. Pulled my EDC at my SIL's a while back to cut up some meat and everyone loved it as my late FIL was a big knife guy always had a blade or two on him. Unfortunately I wasn't a "knife Guy" at the time but it sure brought back memories of one of the best men I have ever known. RIP JIM, I love you and miss you and will see you again!!

The whole thing about "tender " bothers me .How about flavor? The most tender cuts usually have the least amount of flavor ! They often add a chemical , some become active when heated , to tenderize the meat. Yuk ! My father could always taste those chemicals though I could never taste them.
Cuts of steak with bone always taste better.
Yes when necessary I will use my knife . A simple one hand opening , all stainless steel is the best . It can be opened and closed and used with hardly anyone noticing.
If a snowflake sees it and comments I stare at him and say " it's a knife and it has many good uses ,you do understand ? " :(

When i do sushi in legit japanese restaurants, i bust out my neck knife to cut the monster sized pieces of ginger into properly sized strips so it doesnt over power the sushi. Several times ive gotten nods of approval from my waiter.

Bust out a knife-knut knife in a traditional American restaurant? I dont think so. I got enough problems than to deal with a disgruntled undercover LEO misinterpreting my cutting tool as a weapon.

Serious?
it's a matter of manners. I don't bring distilled water to friends houses. Nor do I bring cutlery to restaurants.
This is a joke right?

Interesting that others replied in support of the idea.:confused:

When i do sushi in legit japanese restaurants, i bust out my neck knife to cut the monster sized pieces of ginger into properly sized strips so it doesnt over power the sushi. Several times ive gotten nods of approval from my waiter.

Bust out a knife-knut knife in a traditional American restaurant? I dont think so. I got enough problems than to deal with a disgruntled undercover LEO misinterpreting my cutting tool as a weapon.
So in essence you're telling telling the sushi chef he doesn't know how to cut or present the food. Risky move I'd think.

I find that the nicer type restaurants I go to provide appropriate and (at the very least) adequate silverware for whatever I happen to be eating. Not to mention that by using your own knife at these nicer type restaurants you're effectively saying "your silverware is so cheap and crappy that I'm forced into using my pocket knife", which I'm sure any nicer type restaurant would disagree with and be offended by.

Go tell the chef at your nearest Morton's you just assumed his (or her) silverware was going to be inadequate so you decided to use your pocket knife instead and see what the reaction is.

Of course if by 'nicer type restaurant' you mean Outback Steakhouse, go head, maybe it'll keep the screaming kid in the booth behind you enthralled long enough that you might be able to get through a drink without covering your ears.

Umm honstly 99% of resaurants I go to do have totally inadequate steak knives. Well they're adequate enough that I still use 'em. I'd rather push their edge back amd forward on a ceramic plate than the edge of my own knife.

I think most restaurants know they give dull steak knives and want it that way so their patrons don't cut themselves. The steak knives at my local Mortons are not sharp. I doubt they have been resharpened once.

Last edited:
So in essence you're telling telling the sushi chef he doesn't know how to cut or present the food. Risky move I'd think.

Ginger is not meant to be eaten with the sushi, but rather it is to cleanse your pallet between different types of sushi.

Edit: that of course doesn't mean you can't eat sushi how you want. Just that the sushi chef isn't doing it wrong by not cutting the ginger to be bite size with the sushi.

Last edited:
This is a joke right?
Nope, not a joke. I nearly always have a pocket knife on me. When I need to cut something, I use it. Sometimes what I need to cut is food. If wherever I am eating provides what I need, I use theirs. If not, I use mine. Simple as that. It is not something I need to do often, but I have done it and will continue to do so when the situation arises.

It is somewhat dependent on what I happen to have on me. If I have a medium sized slipjoint with a thin blade in my pocket, and it is clean, then I'm good. I am not going to pull out an assisted opening flipper to cut a sandwich in half, though.

That is what the ginger is intended for. If you want to eat it on your sushi, you are welcome to. I had a friend who spread wasabi on each piece and topped it with a piece of ginger. He liked it that way. But that is now how it is intended. Not that you ever need a pocket knife with sushi.

Never tried that. Doesn't sound bad to me, though. I do combine both on sushi so they certainly mix when I eat it.

Though if you put ketchup and relish on hot dogs you are dead to me.

The whole thing about "tender " bothers me .How about flavor? The most tender cuts usually have the least amount of flavor ! They often add a chemical , some become active when heated , to tenderize the meat. Yuk ! My father could always taste those chemicals though I could never taste them.
Cuts of steak with bone always taste better.
Yes when necessary I will use my knife . A simple one hand opening , all stainless steel is the best . It can be opened and closed and used with hardly anyone noticing.
If a snowflake sees it and comments I stare at him and say " it's a knife and it has many good uses ,you do understand ? " :(
Tender can be achieved a number of ways, even on cuts of meat that folks traditionally think of as tough. It's not too difficult to prepare a fork tender flank steak.

That said, I prefer a bit of chew to my steaks. But unless a steak is out-and-out tough I've never had an issue with even the most marginal of steak knives.

I suspect most of the folks here that are using their personal cutlery at dinner are doing so because we all prefer significantly more than adequate when it comes to knives, but not out of a real need. I've never bothered, but more power to those that do. :)

Steak is the last thing I'd order at most restaurants. I'm tired of being disappointed by something so easily cooked at home. I stick to some obscure chef's house dish that I'd never make at home. If I am at a dedicated steak house (like my favorite, Lolo Creek Steak House), I expect adequate cutlery.

Now at a BBQ or camping...I'll break out whatever knife I have on me to get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back