Who will inherit your knives?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DangerZone98, May 19, 2020.

1. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I caught my father taking notes whenever I bought a gun or knife. When I asked him why? He said if you die I want to know how much your stuff is worth when I sell it.

I guess I got the last laugh.

2. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Ha....I got this figured out. I am going to have them make my coffin from my collection of knives. They can weld it together like the infamous throne.

Yeah, that's the ticket. :)

n2s

3. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    My experience is grossly unfair distribution, even in the case of a will. Usually personal property is stolen by family members with easy access (TV, car, AC, jewelry, art) and one heir moves in and sits on the house for years. Executor is another word for thief. Only recourse is a lawyer, but what Godfearing soul wants to sue family?

Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” He answered "Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you? Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

A friend likes to say "you never really know a person until you split an inheritance with them" :) Personally I hope my knives get sold here to people who will apperciate them the most or given to people who will use them. My friends and family know it.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  4. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    The M390/3V/M4/S110V... etc. Throne. Nice. That’s some hot shit. :D

5. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    This thought makes me uneasy as well. Less than honest relatives is a reality that most of us have to deal with.

When I’m gone, I probably wouldn’t care less where my tools end up on account of being dead and all. Still, it would be a great thing if our knives find responsible owners as you said.

6. NMpops

NMpops

Aug 9, 2010
    I 134 knives at last count. But only about 10-12 have sentimental value. They are knives I carried and used in the Army, and as a cop. In my will they are divided up between my 2 daughters and son and my adult grandson. The remainder the executor of my will (wife then oldest daughter) can do whatever they want with. They can sell 'em or give them to the grand kids or whatever. I'll be gone.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  7. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    The wife and boy will keep what they want, the friends will pick what they want...and the rest will get sold to you guys I'm sure.

DangerZone98 and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  8. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    I’ve got a few knives on the list for my nephews when I kick the bucket. Couple for my brother if he outlives me, and the rest will go to my wife. She can keep what she wants and sell the rest. Got a spreadsheet all done up for her. :) Gonna gift a couple to good friends as well.
    All this will happen if I dont decide to sell said knives to check out a different one before I go. Haha. Never know whats gonna happen with a knife enthusiast.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  9. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    I hope to sell or give away most of the good stuff before the fateful day.

Since my wife has no interest, she'll probably give the rest away to our friends and family after that. I don't see her bothering with trying to sell them herself, though a trusted friend could be called upon in a case like that.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  10. BillZee

BillZee

Apr 30, 2020
    I'm a single guy with little family. Who ever wants them.....told a few friends take what you want and give others away.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  11. Glenn Goodlett

Glenn Goodlett Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 6, 2016
    My gf has specific instructions to box my collection and send to one of the major knife consignment sellers, but, in reality she is so sentimental she will probably keep them all.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  12. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton

Feb 17, 2013
    Everything goes to Nephew "C", as he is the only one who has ever voiced an interest in my collection (3000+) is scheduled to get them, although he has instructions that all military blades - swords, sabers, bayonets, machetes, knives (500 or so) will go to one or two local museums. Nephews A,B and D, Nieces A, B, and C, and Great-Nephews A, B and C could care less about my knives. The jury is still out on great-niece A as she is only 19 months old.

The big fight will be over my 1929 Model A. Maybe I should have my American Legion Post sell tickets.

13. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    I'm getting to the age where you just never know. I took a cue from a friend and I've started giving things to people now rather than make them wait until I turn in my ticket.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  14. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Probably the land fill.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  15. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    I would like to be adopted please. :rolleyes:

Mr.Wizard and DangerZone98 like this.
  16. Ruukuu

Ruukuu

May 21, 2020
    My nephew decided many years ago that i was to leave him my knives. I hope he has plenty of storage, i have hundreds of the flipping things.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  17. JDRanger

JDRanger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2017
    My 18 year old gets to keep any knives he wants. Then the remainder will be sold with the proceeds (350+ knives) going into saving accounts for my son and daughter until they are 27 years old.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  18. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    Have the Model A sold to a collector, not by lottery, then you know it will be taken care of.

19. Basp2005

Basp2005

Dec 6, 2015
    My two boys.
    They will split the collection between them.
    I have bought two examples from different companies so they both can get one.
    [​IMG]

jfk1110 and DangerZone98 like this.
  20. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm 58 and AFAIK in good health, but I would like to divest most of my massive knife hoard before I croak, so Mrs. Powernoodle won't have to deal with it. And lose the gun hoard, SAK and MT hoard, 5x plastic bins of Maxpedition bags, enough ammo to supply the Bolivian army for 3 years, . . . .

I do have two young adult lads, but they would not want 70 knives each.

[​IMG]

Padron26 likes this.