Why are the chisel ground Emersons ground on the "wrong" side?

Uh, I was going through and deleting old bookmarks on my computer and found this one. I wouldn't have brought it up again, but I feel the need to defend myself when I'm told that I am wrong.

Wow, this thread was brought back from the dead to continue an argument?? Really??:confused: I'm pretty sure everybody that read that thread many months ago had long forgotten the insult to your intelligence... until now.

"Slice better." Final answer. :thumbup:

Only slices better if you're left handed. I've owned an Emerson several years ago, and the main reason I sold it was because I found the chisel grind virtually useless for my normal cutting tasks, which is how I judge a knife since I cut more inanimate objects than people. Like was mentioned in this or the other thread, sharpening a pencil, removing insulation from wires, slicing food are all difficult for right handed users. These knives are very nice for lefties though.

im assuming yall who have an issue cutting things with an emerson cut towards yourselves because i have no issues at all with my 15. i would think that an entire forum of knife users and enthusiasts would know to cut away when you can because its safer...ive never found any difference in chisel or v grind effectiveness as long as the blade was sharp...chisel grind are easier to sharpen, but either (for me) cut just as well.

im assuming yall who have an issue cutting things with an emerson cut towards yourselves because i have no issues at all with my 15

You know what happens when you assume things right?? If I was cutting toward myself, that would put the chisel grind on the proper side in relation to the item being cut. Problem is, when you're doing something like sharpening a pencil, you lay the knife down low to take small amounts of shavings off in a controlled manner. With an Emerson, if you hold your knife the same way as a non-chisel grind, the edge won't bite. You have to angle the knife steeper to get to the cutting edge. It's a simple thing to see for yourself. Take two pencils. Sharpen one with a 'regular' knife like a Benchmade, Spyderco or whatever. Then take the other pencil and sharpen it with your Emerson. If you can't tell a difference then I'll have to 'assume' you're either denying it to avoid admitting you were wrong, or you're not very sensitive to cutting angles... ;)

You know what happens when you assume things right?? If I was cutting toward myself, that would put the chisel grind on the proper side in relation to the item being cut. Problem is, when you're doing something like sharpening a pencil, you lay the knife down low to take small amounts of shavings off in a controlled manner. With an Emerson, if you hold your knife the same way as a non-chisel grind, the edge won't bite. You have to angle the knife steeper to get to the cutting edge. It's a simple thing to see for yourself. Take two pencils. Sharpen one with a 'regular' knife like a Benchmade, Spyderco or whatever. Then take the other pencil and sharpen it with your Emerson. If you can't tell a difference then I'll have to 'assume' you're either denying it to avoid admitting you were wrong, or you're not very sensitive to cutting angles... ;)

Whats it matter? The pencil can be sharped just as well with either style grind. I sharpen pencils often with my A100 with no issue, heck the La Griffe is a darn good pencil sharpener better than most of my other knives.

These things are NOT difficult for me as a right hand user, and they have not proven difficult when I have loaned an Emerson to other people to use either. Different does not equal a problem.

Wow, this thread was brought back from the dead to continue an argument?? Really??:confused: I'm pretty sure everybody that read that thread many months ago had long forgotten the insult to your intelligence... until now.

What can I say! Maybe it's a little OCD that I have!:D

Also, for the record, I've never had problems using my chisel ground Raven.

if im sharpening a pencil with my knife (least of my worries im usually opening boxes or o-ring wrappers) im gunna hold it in my left hand my knife in my right tip of pencil up place my left thumb on the top of the blade and push away from myself...the knife will and does bite fine...its this simple if you dont like how emerson makes his knives buy someone else's, or if you dont know how to use a knife learn.

its this simple if you dont like how emerson makes his knives buy someone else's

Already have. Sold my mini commander several years ago and haven't looked back.

or if you dont know how to use a knife learn.

I'll have to work on that one. Do you have any tips for me? Seems every time I grab the blade to make a cut, my fingers start to bleed, so I'm kinda at a loss about the whole knife thing.:confused:

As what Mr Emerson himself has said, the chisel grind isn't for anyone. If you don't like it, don't get it.
IMHO, u need to pay more attention when cutting with a chisel grind. It can't do as well as normal grind on delicate/precision job. However this grind is easier to sharpen, and can be sharpened to a very very sharp edge.

As for which side the grind is on, it obviously makes a difference, or so many folks wouldn't have questioned it, and Mr. Emerson wouldn't have to explain his rationale by saying they don't slice too many tomatoes in his shop. I've never heard any knife maker have to explain why they put a traditional grind on a knife or a chisel grind on the other side. Wonder why that is? Probably because it really does make a difference. One only has to look at an actual wood chisel to understand what side the grind is supposed to be in relation to the object being cut. When working with one of those, you don't turn it so the chisel grind is facing down at the wood, you turn it up so the flat side is against the wood. At any rate, it doesn't affect me anymore, and I wouldn't even be in this thread had it not been zombiefied to defend someones honor. Peace.

Last edited:
Medic- Your solution is a Rossi Reblade. :thumbup:

I have no clue what a Rossi Reblade is. I'm sure out of curiosity, I'll google it to see what pops up. At any rate, I found my solution 8 or 9 years ago, and that was sell the Emerson, and go with Benchmade, and just recently, Sebenza. To each their own.

ETA: Googled it, and it only returned a Rossi Blade golf putter, so you're gonna have to clue me in on what a Rossi Reblade is.

Edited to add again: Did a search of the forums and found my answer. No thanks. I don't like Emerson knives enough to buy one and then pay for a new blade with a V grind. I'll stick with my BM. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813589
this is what is being referred to...wait if you dont own enough emersons or even like them then why the hell to you even go on this forum if its just to bash those of us who like them piss off and go find something else to occupy your pathetic life

First off, they're called punctuation marks. You should give 'em a try sometime. Secondly, I already said I found what was being referenced. Obviously you were so busy trying to come up with a witty comment and insult about my life (which I can assure you is far from pathetic) you failed to even notice. And since your comprehension skills are about as good as your grammatical skills, I'd like to point out I have not bashed anybody that likes Emersons. Also, in kid terms so you can understand, you see the little button up top that says "New Posts"? When you press that button, all the new posts pop up from all the different forums. So, you see, it's not like I actively seek out the Emerson forum. I just look at thread titles, and click on the ones that interest me. Also, just for the record, this is not a "Member's Only" forum, so I don't need to own or even like Emerson knives to post here. Now stop being a tool.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back