1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Why no thumb studs?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by readyme, Mar 9, 2013.

1. readyme

readyme

Oct 4, 2004
    I love my Spydercos, but the only thing I like better about my Benchmades is the quick deployment using the thumb stud.
    I vastly prefer the blades and handle thickness (thinner) of Spyderco, but I just can't stop flipping my Griptilian and Mini Griptilian.

Why doesn't Spyderco use thumb studs?
    I know they have to have the Spyder hole on all of their knives...they even have them on the fixed blades, but couldn't they use a functional stud and a hole for aesthetics?

2. catchthecarp

catchthecarp

Nov 25, 2012
    Spyderco's signature/branding is the Spydie hole. Personally I prefer the Spydie hole over thumb studs and flippers over both. Personal preference, the good thing is there are plenty of great knife companies that offer whatcha like.....

3. 9blades

9blades

Dec 29, 2012
    Well I think the main reason is because its functional, what I mean by that is its a more a reliable opening mechanism Than a thumb stud.....I doesn't matter if you're hands are wet, sore, blistered whatever.....

don't get me wrong i like thumb studs, but any one that really plays with there knives knows that your thumb starts to get SORE after a while.

Also I'd like to know which spyderco is hard to flick open? Are you using the middle finger flick?

-niner

P.S
    this is going to be a good thread!

4. jstloui2

jstloui2

Oct 11, 2011
    Its just their thing, they like the hole. But they have also made spydies with "cobra hoods" which is kinda a thumb stud

5. Needle Mouse

Needle Mouse

Nov 17, 2012
    Its mostly just the signature I guess Its just part of spydercos brand, even their fixed blades have the hole in it. I like the spydie hole with a little practice you can do it just like any thumb stud on the market. Its just mostly about whats comfortable for you.

6. Needle Mouse

Needle Mouse

Nov 17, 2012
    oh ya I remember the cobra hoods those were good but you never see them anymore it was on some discontinued ones like the "salsa's"

7. Scurvy092

Scurvy092

Jan 31, 2012
    Middle finger flick is awesome but some models have the lock side of the hole obscured which can make it hard.

Also, Spyderco uses a TON of backlocks which can't be flicked so it doesn't matter.

8. gomipile

gomipile

Apr 17, 2010
    They can't? My Native, Endura, and Cara Cara 2 flick just fine.

9. MattyLav

MattyLav

Jun 28, 2012
    I love the Spyderco hole, it's the uniqueness in a company that I find interesting :)

10. 9blades

9blades

Dec 29, 2012
    Got to say I've never had a problem flicking there back locks......

11. Shotgunjimmy309

Shotgunjimmy309

Feb 28, 2013
    For the record my delica and endura are hard to flick open like a thumb stud.

12. Zidfeldts

Zidfeldts

Dec 28, 2010
    If thumb studs are better why does everyone steal the rounhole opening design.

13. Dabakr

Dabakr

Mar 7, 2013
    how about a thumbstud right in the middle of the spyder hole:D

14. messer454

messer454

Oct 2, 2006
    I am the oposite. I like some of the designs of the Benchmades but could never warm up to the thumb studs.

15. nccole

nccole

Jun 2, 2011
    Thumbstuds hanging up on my pocket when trying to retrieve my blade is what I hate. I pretty much only buy knives with a hole in them anymore. I can flick my larger back locks. My Stretch can be flicked, while my Caly 3 and Meerkat not so much.

16. tatteredmidnight

tatteredmidnight

Mar 19, 2010
    I'm with this! I have an ever growing Spyderco collection because i find the Spyder Hole much easier and more comfortable than a thumb stud. I can flick any of my Spydies open with my fat thumbs except for the Brad Southard, and for obvious reasons, that's not a problem.

I have a mini-grip in m390 that sits in its box because I can't warm up to its thumb stud. I loved my mini-grip with a "Spyder hole," but that disappeared some time ago unfortunately. Perhaps I'll try trading away the mini-grip.

17. Scurvy092

Scurvy092

Jan 31, 2012
    I have a Native 5 and a Chaparral 2 and I can't flick either of them like I can my PM2.

18. tatteredmidnight

tatteredmidnight

Mar 19, 2010
    My Superblue Caly3 flips fine, so does my Delica 4. I think it has a lot to do with individual hand mechanics and our preferences.

A lock back will never flip as easily as some other lock types because the back of the lock bar is pressed against the rounded tang of the blade, which acts like a cam. This adds resistance to opening the blade, and is the reason why the blade will snap closed after a certain point in its action.

19. TMCGLASSON36

TMCGLASSON36

Jul 23, 2006
    After a lot of years of knife collecting and carrying a knife most of my life I can honestly say, If it doesn't have a hole in the blade I don't want it. LOL

Thumb studs are good but for me the Spydie Hole is the way to go.

20. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    You just really don't need them. I don't flick my knives open, it always just draws attention that isn't needed. Many people don't really sit around and flick their knives dozens of times, but to each their own.