1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Why no thumb studs?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by readyme, Mar 9, 2013.

1. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    The "sharp edge" of the hole is designed to give your thumb some positive traction, otherwise it slips. If your thumb hurts, then you need to build up some calluses. ;)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. TotalDbag

TotalDbag

Nov 3, 2012
    I got a callus all right, I just ordered my first non lockback Spyderco to test it out.

Blue persistence if anyone's wondering

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  3. freewheeling

freewheeling

Dec 30, 2012
    My legal deployment preferences are: Emerson wave, flipper, spydie hole (or elliptical hole on some knives), thumb stud, in that order. The Emerson wave has the fastest deployment, by far.

4. Wolverine666

Wolverine666 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2009
    The only (minor) issue I have with the Spydie hole is the fact that a good portion of the back part of the blade has to be exposed when the knife is in the closed position in order to have access to the hole. It makes for a very wide knife to carry. Each knife is different and some (like the Native5) aren't bad at all. But some (like the Manix2) are a little wider than I would like.

I guess I prefer thumb studs on most knives. But I don't hate the hole by any means. Just wish the hole could be a little smaller to allow the knife to be a little narrower when closed.

Or they could make the Spydie "oval". Haha.

And although I love my ZT's. I wish they didn't have flippers. Not a fan at all.

5. bh49

bh49

Dec 27, 2005
    After using Spyderhole for years I absolutely hate thumbstuds as an opening system. i found Spyderhole is much easier to operate.

6. tatteredmidnight

tatteredmidnight

Mar 19, 2010
    I have the same issue. I keep looking at Sebenzas and I can't get past the thumb stud. I will have to look into the other makers you mentioned who have licensed the feature

7. wolf-man-12

wolf-man-12

Dec 24, 2007
    The only thing faster than my Spydies are my German Switchblades. Studs only get in my way and always have so I only have 2 left and they will be donated in the future.* The "HOLE" all the way.!!

8. FCM415

FCM415 Banned BANNED

Jul 9, 2012
    I am ok with both, it doesn't take a special person to be adept at both opening systems. A preference maybe, but both methods executed well will get your blade deployed as needed.

9. N. Brian Huegel

N. Brian Huegel

May 30, 1999
  10. blade4sell

blade4sell

Dec 11, 2012
    Benchmade can never CNC a thumb Hole like how Spydie does there higher end blades....the grind flows thru the hole with only a thin fillet on the spine...then heat treatment....it's not easy as drilling a pilot hole and install a thumb stud. The cost of producing a thumb stud may increase production cost...but drilling a thumb hole like how spydie does theirs, the hidden cost that we don't see....I only like BM for their Axis lock, and an axis lock should go with a thumb stud...it's two different feel.

But the appearance is crucial...most spy is shape like a leaf, flat, oval...insect like...hole looks better especially the blade shape...imagine a thumb stud on a manix 2 XL...hahhahah! That'll be funny

11. yoko

yoko

Sep 4, 2011
    I like the spydie hole works great , and kind of has a natural follow through feel when you slow open instead of flick

12. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    A Spyderco with a thumbstud? Might as well drink Coke out of a different bottle, or drive a bright orange John Deere tractor.

13. blade4sell

blade4sell

Dec 11, 2012
    Can someone photo shop a Spy with a thumb stud ....

14. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    I prefer the spyder hole as well. I hate having something sticking out perpendicular to the blade. I also don't like how thumb studs can fall off. :D

15. nccole

nccole

Jun 2, 2011
    I started to sharpen a knife with thumb studs the other day, and just quit messing with. The studs kept getting in the way, and I remembered that I would never carry the knife anyway, so put it away dull. I guess some knives are designed better than others and don't interfere with cutting, sharpening, and my pocket, but I dislike most that I have tried.

16. tbow

tbow

Nov 29, 2012
    ^^^^ x2 ;)

17. marthinus

marthinus

Dec 10, 2006
    You guys just dont know where to look :)

18. Evil D

Evil D

Nov 17, 2012
    Didn't read all these posts but the Vallotton has thumb studs, though their main purpose is as a blade stop. I don't see what's so hard about flicking open with a thumb hole? Also I've never had the hole get in the way of sharpening at low angles like a thumb stud has, nor have I ever snagged my thumb hole on something while making a deep slice like I have with a thumb stud.

19. pj551016

pj551016

Apr 13, 2008
    i guess others pretty much answered it all, but i just might pile on...

1. The spydie hole is a Spyderco trademark.
    2. The hole is a more reliable deployment method than the stud
    3. It doesn't get in the way during cutting like a stud might (cutting cheese for example)
    4. It doesn't affect sharpening like a stud might

I have to say though, the hole sometimes limits the aesthetic design of spyderco knives......

20. Dabakr

Dabakr

Mar 7, 2013
    I agree with both of these points. But that said I decided I will not buy a BM that has a hole because I believe it to 'belong' to Spyderco even if it is legally and morally free for all blade designers to use. afaik-Spyderco pioneered the thunmb-holes use and since blade collecting (for me) is a hobby and not a necessity I want to stick to each brands aesthetics when possible. E.g.: kershaw:speedsafe-assist/Leek-style design, Spyderco-hole/handle-design, and other then that-I'm not really sure what individual aesthetics BM has but like the supreme court justice said-"I'll know it when I see it"