1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Why no thumb studs?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by readyme, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    The Hole.
    That is all.

2. dialex

dialex

Oct 8, 2002
    There is a Spyderco with both opening systems, thumbhole and thumbstuds, the Valloton Subhilt folder.

3. blade4sell

blade4sell

Dec 11, 2012
  4. DecoyOctopus10

DecoyOctopus10

Mar 14, 2013
    I'm sure everyone goes right for the hole though.

5. TotalDbag

TotalDbag

Nov 3, 2012
    I just got my Persistence, and may I say, I SUCK at opening it. The only way I can successfully open in, it with a middle finger flip.

It also has vertical play, but I'm going to let it break it in, before I judge it.

6. TotalDbag

TotalDbag

Nov 3, 2012
    Double post.

7. PURPLEDC

PURPLEDC

Apr 4, 2007
    short answer? because then it wouldnt be a spyderco.

8. KrisOK

KrisOK

Oct 17, 2012
    Like mentioned earlier, I think that the spydie hole is MUCH easier to use with gloves on than any stud or disk.

9. goodeyesniper

goodeyesniper

Aug 31, 2009
    my invention. extend the tang like in a friction folder, but it has a chamber which directs a small explosion and flips the blade open. not a switchblade, because there is no spring mechanism. The button might seem too far back at first, but that's to keep your hand father back so the explosive tang doesn't pinch it on opening...

[​IMG]

:p

edit: patent pending

10. e1sbaer

e1sbaer

May 19, 2010
    All my knives have thumb holes but one. I got me 1 thumb stud knife just to experience it. The thumbstud works fine but it deploys less comfortable than the hole. My favorite combination is a thumb hole with axis lock, therefore new arrivals are all benchmades.

11. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Readyme,

When I was going through the process of inventing our opening hole, I went through a variety of "additions" to the blade and eventually evolved to "removing" something from the blade which I felt had advantages over the earlier methods I'd tried. (1980).

Our invention was actually ledge created on the blade that could be engaged by the flesh of the thumb. We selected a hole as a manifestation of that ledge. The round hole eveltually became known as a Spyderco and we were able to trademark the shape of the hole. As a trademark, it should be on every model and function cannot be part of a trademark.

Hi E1sbaer,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal

12. BigBill5953

BigBill5953

Mar 5, 2012
    My Delica, Centofante, Caly Jr, and Calypso can all be flicked easily.

13. Dabakr

Dabakr

Mar 7, 2013
    If it makes you feel any better-I got an Ambitious the other week and it had some friction and centering issues and then I got my blue persistence the other day and it is 98% perfect. It deploys quickly, Centered perfectly. All I did was switch the clip to blade up and scrape a few very minor edges of the g-10 to absolute flush with the frame and I'm good to go. I handsight-I should have sent the ambitious back but I am already 'invested' in its fine tuning and adj. So I'll keep both. (also-I now know that I am not interested in any spyderco thats bigger then the persistence. The ambitious is a perfect size for my edc needs. Hope the Y2 isn't too much longer then either.)good luck

14. Dabakr

Dabakr

Mar 7, 2013
    *dupe*