Wife hates my Tilley Hat... Are there any full brimmed hats that actually look good?

My Real Deal came yesterday, how's that for fast shipping? I was a bit concerned when it came in a large, flat envelope, but it actually came out fine. It is much thinner and lighter than I expected, but fits good and looks fine- pretty much exactly as advertised.

HikingMano, did you end up getting one?

Exactly as they said. They ask you to measure above your eyebrows (where you like your hat to sit) with a flexible/cloth tape measure. I just followed their directions and it fits perfectly.

It may have helped that when I measured, it came out right on the inch. I was kind of worried because I have trouble getting a hat that fits- a lot of times I come out between a medium and a large. In the Army, I took a 7-1/4, for the Real Deal, I measured 23". Hope that helps.

Also, it is lighter than I expected, probably my lightest full brim hat. Very comfortable, but might come off easy in the wind.

Good to know they run true :thumbup: The lightness is surprising, I'd have thought they'd be on the heavier end of the spectrum. I'll measure with their method and see how well it agrees with what I'd get converting from my Tilley size.

If you want a hat, you should go with the proven and time tested stetson. That's my pick when I need a wide brim and I own about half a dozen.

I have to admit, my Tarp Hat is my favorite hands down! However, mine is not very waterproof. When caught in a downpour, it did decent to a point, then started absorbing a lot of water. I ended up spraying some 'waterproofing' on it and it is much better. Ymmv

On Real Deal Brazil's page they say they're not waterproof, but that you treat them with any of the typical treatments to make them so.

Scott, thanks for the link, interesting site!

I think all of you are handsome in your full brim hats. I find them suffocating, except for in winter . I have to wear one for sun protection and picked up this generic [Dockers] hat at Kohls. It has real good ventilation and its comfortable for a day under the sun.
06-26-2012003_zpsc505fb7c.jpg

Last edited:
Sunbody Gus for those sunny days fishing

mefishin.jpg

thebronxhat.jpg

Waxed cotton Filson is nice, but not as warm in the winter as I thought it'd be.
FilsonPacker.jpg

Unless you are shoveling snow in a blizzard.
-1.jpg

Stetson fur felt
hatBand.jpg

My first Stetson.
stetdamas.gif

Bought the year before Urban Cowboy came out. Talk about ruining a good thing.

Can't have too many hats.
Not shown are the Dobbs and hand made Panama's.
Another Stetson straw.
Resistol wool felt crusher.
My Dad's Fedora.
Stingy brim fedora that I bought for my daughter's graduation.

I look at it this way... New hats look, well, new.
I like them worn but not shabby. Like jeans.
So, once you get your hat to that broken in stage, it's time for another.
Gradually wear the new off the latest, enjoy the broken in model. When that one gets shabby, the latest will be broken in and you'll be ready for a new hat.

Summer straws and winter felts.
Keeps a fellow busy :)

Pop's Fedora.
I'm 56 and it was old when I was a kid :)
DelawareMemBridge.jpg

And you thought knives were addicting :D

I go SUPER goofy and wear a French pattern genuine cork pith helmet. Took the dopy chin strap off it and it doesn't look too bad. Soak that puppy in water and it absorbs it like a sponge and the evaporative effect combined with the ventilation and helmet suspension makes it like an AC for your head. Or if you just want to keep the sun off but it's not too hot out just wear it dry. It's something that has to be experienced to believe. I'll never go back to a standard sun hat in warm weather.

sounds great, where did you get it!

I have a REI full brim hat, made out of cotton that I like. It wasn't very expensive, and it's comfortable as all get out. Not the most water-proof thing, but not a sponge either. It's nice and soft, yet the brim holds its shape well, even after being packed, or folded up.

For what I like, it's perfect. Some of your guys' filsons are making me jealous. Super jealous.

I don't wear my full brims nearly as often as i should! here are my 2 favorites.

BC swagman oily
file-1.jpg

Basic Boonie hat (took this pic while kayak fishing in 100 degree heat. that hat kept my brain from boiling)
file.jpg

Ebbtide, you are a man after my own heart! I love hats but I keep buying hats and never wearing them out in public.

The problem is I live in East Texas and you either wear a cowboy hat or a cap in this part of the country. I have come close to buying a Tilley so many times but never went through with it. I keep looking for a really good (but not that expensive) panama or something that is cool in the 9 warm weather months we have around here. I have a straw hat I wear sometimes, but even in mild weather(80s) my head will still sweat.

I have several different hats I wear out to fish or camp or work on the farm, but nothing that is really suitable for wearing daily in town.

I will just keep looking. After all, that is the fun part.

I wear a Men's Wool Crusher hat from Duluth Trading.

Same as mine. Cannot beat that hat out of shape. I put two enameled dinosaur pins on the side, a t-rex and triceratops facing off. Nobody makes remarks about your hat when you got a t-rex to argue with them.

Back