Wilderness Photography

wow all these beautiful photos make me want to go fill up my backpack and just go somewhere.

Not exactly wilderness, but this is the beautiful town of Lambertville, NJ (well, it's the Delware river and the bridge that connects Lambertville to New Hope, PA). Shot from the top of Goat Hill Overlook, which is only about 5 min drive from our home and only 10 minutes walk up from the parking lot.

Thanks for sharing.......it brings back fond memories of when we used to live in Washington Crossing, PA. Many fond memories of visiting New Hope & Lambertville. :thumbup:

my pleasure prom! we've only been living in town for about a year and felt blessed to live in a such a neat area. unfortunately, we're moving again soon, but definitely enjoyed our time here.

Last edited:
Scotcha, Tekton and Catalyst - some great photos guys! Makes me want to get outside!

This is one of my better ones. Great Rift Valley in Arba Minch, Ethiopia.

DSC_0351.JPG-X2.jpg

Although this one is the best. Unfortunately, it was in the "animal park" so it's far from wilderness, but it was wild.

DSC_0420-X3.jpg

DSC_0409-X2.jpg

If course in the African tradition the only thing between me and the lion was well, a flimsy set of bars that I was putting the camera through.

I headed to Missouri to spend 4 days with some buddies, camping and bushcrafting and BSing around the fire.

It's amazing to me how green everything there is. Home:

By the time I had my tent setup, my clothes were covered in ticks. Had to load up on the deet, and even that didn't keep them all at bay. Had quite a few extractions to do. Yay.

We harvested dead Black Locust for firewood. That is some hard wood. Burns super hot and long. We would have gone through at least 10x as much wood and not been nearly as warm here in Colorado where everything is pine.

On one of the days we hiked a couple miles down into a creek to setup a spike camp for the day. Yes, multicam pants were a requirement.

Here's were we setup camp for the day. It was nice and cool down in the bottoms. During the day it was a breezy 70 or so. Nighttime got down to a surprisingly cold 35 or so.

OK, Plant ID time. Who can tell me what this is?

Along the way, one of our buddies gives us bushcrafting challenges that we have to try and complete. Here's a pretty tough one: start a fire using green wood and a fire steel.

Here I am in the foreground doing some prep with green hickory. My buddy in the background is trying it with green dogwood.

Tools used: folding saw (to cut a 3" thick branch to about 18" length), knife for processing the wood, fire steel to light it up, baton for beating on the knife.

The key is lots of really fine and airy scrapings and shavings. The scrapings were made with the spine of the knife and is the fluffy pile on top of the wood platform in the above pic. You can see my shavings piled up on my shemagh ready to be added once the scrapings light up. Process the shavings and scrapings first so they have some time to air out and dry a bit. I'm working on splitting up some more wood, mostly little stuff that'll catch from the shavings.

Got her lit up and she burned on her own for about 10 minutes before I finally had to throw it in the creek to put it out.

A lake nearby camp:

Back at camp, playing with the Camp Nessie:

It's always a great time hanging out with buddies in the woods. Learned lots, and BS'ed even more. My wife warned me before going out that I had better not get hurt or lost since our daughter's HS graduation was the day after I got back. Other than quite a few ticks that had to be dealt with, I escaped unharmed. A couple guys ended up with some poison ivy. No one got lost or bloody. Success!

Thanks for looking.

Nathan,
Ticks do not play fair, they crawl all over and get in places you would not think they could - I felt something on my high ankle, pulled my sock band down and one was trying to crawl down my leg inside my sock.
One question - Do y'all get bulk pricing on the pants? Just messin with ya.

Congrats to your daughter!!

Great pics, thanks for sharing the trip with us.
Preston

Great pics Nathan! Looks like an awesome time. I have never tried a green wood fire like that but now I will give it a shot. Is that jewelweed? I could not be sure without the flower. We don't have it around here but I have seen it back East. Good for poison ivy I have heard.

Thanks for sharing!

Great post, Nathan. Thanks for sharing. Looks like home camp was tick central.

Great to see you enjoying nature and friends Nathan!

Looks like it was a great time! Thanks for posting Thurin.

Thanks guys!

Nathan,
Ticks do not play fair, they crawl all over and get in places you would not think they could - I felt something on my high ankle, pulled my sock band down and one was trying to crawl down my leg inside my sock.
One question - Do y'all get bulk pricing on the pants? Just messin with ya.

Congrats to your daughter!!

Great pics, thanks for sharing the trip with us.
Preston

Thanks Preston. They do get everywhere. And I mean everywhere.

Great pics Nathan! Looks like an awesome time. I have never tried a green wood fire like that but now I will give it a shot. Is that jewelweed? I could not be sure without the flower. We don't have it around here but I have seen it back East. Good for poison ivy I have heard.

Thanks for sharing!

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. It's also good for stinging nettles (which was being picked for tea).

Oh boy. Stinging Nettle. This was the bane of my existence as a child. I used to live in the woods during spring and summer breaks and would come home every other day with an itchy, fiery rash that kept me up for hours. Seemed like I had a worse reaction than most.

According to my old man stinging nettle is good for blood circulation. Where i grew up this stuff is growing everywhere. My dad would just grab a bush and run it up and down his legs every now and then... dang, I miss this guy

Thanks Thurin for the great pics!

Back