WiP! Trail Cutlass

2BVOD5L.jpg

Ol' Cliff was a piece of work. I had a few battles with him, mostly one sided since he refused to engage. R.I.P. One of a kind.

Or he would engage and couldn't let go.

Some years after he was banned here it occurred to me that Cliff might well have been Asperger's. Whether true or not, the knife world certainly benefited from his relentless pursuits and no BS approach.

I think I'm happy with where everything's at. The length feels about right, but I have to infer a lot in order to imagine how it will handle once the blade is ground and fullered. There might be a swedge if it needs one. I'm thinking it will.

Tonight, the handle will get some reliefs, lanyard dock and fastener holes and then I'll have an idea of what kind of tuning the blade will need in order to bring everything into balance.

I'll need to make some temporary modifications to my oven in order to harden the blade but it's a matter of finding a few items, nothing crazy.

It currently weighs .77kg, and the blade is around 18", although that could change.

I think I'm happy with where everything's at. The length feels about right, but I have to infer a lot in order to imagine how it will handle once the blade is ground and fullered. There might be a swedge if it needs one. I'm thinking it will.

Tonight, the handle will get some reliefs, lanyard dock and fastener holes and then I'll have an idea of what kind of tuning the blade will need in order to bring everything into balance.

I'll need to make some temporary modifications to my oven in order to harden the blade but it's a matter of finding a few items, nothing crazy.

It currently weighs .77kg, and the blade is around 18", although that could change.
Good length for a machete.

We were asking for a machete to Nathan for a while. This might the closest thing we might have to a machete at some point from CPK. I think anything up to 3mm could used in a fashion similar to machete. It might be tiring after a while or not as effective to cut small and green branches but it would have potential as a chopper, making it more versatile in woodland (where actually machete would not be your primary choice of tool :) :) :) ).

How thick this would be?

We were asking for a machete to Nathan for a while. This might the closest thing we might have to a machete at some point from CPK. I think anything up to 3mm could used in a fashion similar to machete. It might be tiring after a while or not as effective to cut small and green branches but it would have potential as a chopper, making it more versatile in woodland (where actually machete would not be your primary choice of tool :) :) :) ).

How thick this would be?

.156"

in general, my understanding of a cutlass is that it's a short sword which was often put to agricultural use when left by pirates and marauders in agrarian societies.
A sword of that length would generally be stiffer for parrying in close quarters combat, and for general durability in an environment where thick canvas and hemp ropes are everywhere.
the machete is designed to deflect when it hits and cuts through things, that's a big reason why they work so well. This cutlass will be somewhat springy, too, but only when hitting denser and harder targets.
I think of the cutlass as similar to the khukuri, in that its intent is martial, by design. But its staying power has a lot to do with its versatility as a tool.
It's interesting to create a weapon whose primary function is to be a tool, because that's kind of the reverse of the way things went.

This is by far the longest fuller I've ever ground into anything. It's looking super badass, though, and it won't be long before it's ready for hardening.

in general, my understanding of a cutlass is that it's a short sword which was often put to agricultural use when left by pirates and marauders in agrarian societies.
A sword of that length would generally be stiffer for parrying in close quarters combat, and for general durability in an environment where thick canvas and hemp ropes are everywhere.
the machete is designed to deflect when it hits and cuts through things, that's a big reason why they work so well. This cutlass will be somewhat springy, too, but only when hitting denser and harder targets.
I think of the cutlass as similar to the khukuri, in that its intent is martial, by design. But its staying power has a lot to do with its versatility as a tool.
It's interesting to create a weapon whose primary function is to be a tool, because that's kind of the reverse of the way things went.

This is by far the longest fuller I've ever ground into anything. It's looking super badass, though, and it won't be long before it's ready for hardening.
One of the reasons I like the leaf bladed designs. Similar concept to some of the Filipino barongs. Double as both a tool and a weapon.

looks great!

Back