Wooden Wednesday - Traditionals only please

Don't ya just love the wood that's been shown here the past few Wednesdays? Thanks to all the contributors! One aspect of wood that I find interesting is the way it changes over time. Here's an ebony 77 new and the same 77 about two years later.
NEW

TWO YEARS OLD

I think it's getting better with age. Darker and grainier resulting in even more character than when new.

r8shell, I'm looking forward to seeing your Osage Orange 18 after the UV spa treatment.

EDIT: I don't open more that one blade at a time any more... to risky.

Last edited:
Just got this today, in time for Wooden Wednesday! Thanks to forum member, Pjake!

The Zebra wood on this Queen is outrageous, and the little Boker is going to get a ton of watch pocket time.

Qyztznt.jpg

x3gDIKj.jpg

redsparrow, that 77 has aged well! Not just darker, but it has a depth to the wood that's just lovely.

sunbathing:

Will, that is some intense ebony!

That's a nice little Boker pen, Wurrwolf. I'm carrying a very similar Jack:

I think it's cocobolo, and I think the wood got a little dried out before I found it in a thrift shop. I'm giving it some hand oil, and it's starting to get its healthy glow back.

Sanded the Desert Ironwood Burl on my Ohta Whittler and gave it a light buff with white compound on a clean wheel :)

temporary_70.jpg

temporary_71.jpg

~Chip

redsparrow, that 77 has aged well! Not just darker, but it has a depth to the wood that's just lovely.
Thanks r8shell! I am very pleased the way it's turning out. Are you rotating that sweet lookin 18 for an all over even tan? :)

WValtakis, desert ironwood may be my absolute favorite wood. Looks like you really helped the grain to POP.

Peter Parker, great photo of a fabulous Buck icon.

Will Power, Very Classy Blackwood Coyote.

Wurrwulf, "The Zebra wood on this Queen is outrageous,..." I gotta agree with you.

Gary, those Case beauties are almost unreal. :thumbup::thumbup: Can you tell us about them?

Thanks for showin all these, I have enjoyed seeing them immensely. -James-

r8shell that Boker has aged beautifully!

Chip that Ironwood Burl is gorgeous. It reminds me of photos from the Hubble showing distant galaxies.

Shawn....So glad you are happy with both the Curley Zebra Queen & Böker. Enjoy and use the heck out them!

Peter

Shawn....So glad you are happy with both the Curley Zebra Queen & Böker. Enjoy and use the heck out them!

Peter

Thanks again, Peter. The Queen is in my pocket right now, and the Boker has already kicked my Peanut out of rotation for work duty tomorrow. :D

I do too Ron. That 73 Osage looks great, real athletic, like it's run around the track a few times and gotten tan. -James-

Gary, those Case beauties are almost unreal. :thumbup::thumbup: Can you tell us about them?

Thanks for showin all these, I have enjoyed seeing them immensely. -James-

James, They are both Case-Bose yearly collaborations. The top one is the Lock back Wharncliffe Whittler from 2014, the other is the Norfolk from 2009. I think there were 200 each made in Ebony.

James, They are both Case-Bose yearly collaborations. The top one is the Lock back Wharncliffe Whittler from 2014, the other is the Norfolk from 2009. I think there were 200 each made in Ebony.

Thanks for the info Gary. Case does those Bose collaborations well. Yours look absolutely seamless at the material junctions and around the pins and shields. They really are splendid!

Back