Worst YT reviewer/knife channel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't stand knife reviewers who don't use a tripod. Some are so bad that I have to shut them off before I get seasick. It didn't work for the Blair Witch Project and it is even worse on a review where I'm actually trying to observe the jimping/choil/whatever that is being described.

Also, if you drop an f-bomb in the first sentence of the review I usually stop the video right there. The reviewer clearly lacks the detailed articulation I was looking for.

And why do people even show unboxing? Unless it is particularly interesting then skip it; I've received mail before and I know how to open a box. The "first impression" videos where I get to hear someone say "wow, this feels lighter than I expected" are worthless, and I would much rather hear experienced opinions observed through extensive use. Nutnfancy is long-winded, but at least he holds back on his opinions until he's had time to evaluate a product.

-StaTiK-

Everything StaTik said plus anyone who uploads a non-HD video with a post date past 2010 (particularly if they're addressing fit and finish).

And yeah, I think everyone probably dislikes Neptune the most. Nutnfancy also doesn't get it when it comes to knives.

Youtube is nothing but a festering cesspool of pseudo-intelligence, pomposity, ignorance, and shame.

To be concise: All of them are awful.

Last edited:
I think the worst reviews are the ones from places like "Knivestown" that are just trying to sell to you and just list the length and how the manufacture describes it. I want to know how the knife ranks in use compared to other options. The best reviews are when it's a knife that they have been personally using for a long time and have a great perspective of how it works.

I would rather watch nutnfancy do a 30 min knife review than watch dancing with the stars, but my favorite knife reviewers are stsmchmalhaus and FTWCM.

All reviewers who:

- Like to keep their personal diary in every video, loving to hear their own voice
- Do reviews with obligatory metal music intro.. or any intro that is
- Say "umm" several time on each sentence
- Smoke, drink, do whatever they think is looking "cool" instead of talking about the knife

some good reviewers like jdavis and xiuxiu1313 don't know of many more lol

I wouldn't consider jdavis or xiuxiu1313 "good reviewers".

I find davis to be unbearable, pompous and annoying. The self proclaimed art of sharp thanks to mechanisms like the EP and WE.

The guy is a YT panhandler for cryin' out loud ;)

xiuxiu1313 is at least entertaining (but not informative). I just like watching him torture his knives almost as if he hates them haha.

I find davis to be unbearable, pompous and annoying. The self proclaimed art of sharp thanks to mechanisms like the EP and WE.

xiuxiu1313 is at least entertaining (but not informative). I just like watching him torture his knives almost as if he hates them haha.

Well I guess I would have to disagree on both of your points and I am pretty sure jdavis does do some freehanding that is beside the point he talks about his knives and his steel tests are helpful. xiuxiu1313 has not done many torture tests and he does he doesn't do it to break the blade but to test the boundaries and in the case of his para 2 it did not break. jdavis and xiuxiu1313 know more about knives than me, when i started collecting knives I watched lots of nutnfancy but soon realised he did not know much that may be the case with jdavis and xiuxiu1313 as I futher my interest but I highly doubt it.

I guess opinions vary, I really enjoy the videos by jdavis AND it was his recommendation of Strider's CPM-154 that led me to pull the trigger on a new SMF w/CPM-154 and I couldn't agree more with his assessment of this steel with Strider's HT. jdavis seems like a real nice, down to Earth guy to me so I'm not sure what you find "unbearable, pompous and annoying" about him but we're all entitled to our opinions.

In fact one day soon I'd like to hire the guy to put a mirror edge on my SMF...I have a Sharpmaker and I'm fairly good with it but I lack the proper tools and skills required to achieve the type of edge sharpness he is.

Take care guys.

The only thing to learn from neptune is exactly what NOT to do with your knives. Gotta love that intro though haha.

I might add tuffthumbz onto this list.

Perhaps some people like to hear his sob stories but im not one of them.

He might be tolerable if he could go 2-3 sentences without dropping 15 F bombs for no reason. The guy just generally bums me out.

"I'm gonna have a knife sale guys but i can't give these f*ckin' things away, i'm broke as sh*t and my girfriend f*ckin hates me guys"..

:( boohoo :(

I'd have to agree on Tuffthumbz with the sob stories. He does some cool work but I don't want to listen to all his woes before I see the object I clicked on the video to see. He also seems to have an awful lot of excuses for when he can't get something done. I have nothing against him, that's just things I've noticed watching his vids.
Neptune was i think the worst reviewer I have seen when it comes to high-dollar knives. He put water on a sebenza lock interface then spine whacked it and when it finally "failed" he pointed it out as aflaw in the knife. :rolleyes:
I'm sure there are plenty more- and don't even get me started on nutnfancy DUDES! ;)

Well I guess I would have to disagree on both of your points and I am pretty sure jdavis does do some freehanding that is beside the point he talks about his knives and his steel tests are helpful. xiuxiu1313 has not done many torture tests and he does he doesn't do it to break the blade but to test the boundaries and in the case of his para 2 it did not break. jdavis and xiuxiu1313 know more about knives than me, when i started collecting knives I watched lots of nutnfancy but soon realised he did not know much that may be the case with jdavis and xiuxiu1313 as I futher my interest but I highly doubt it.

opinions will vary.

i know they have many fans. hell, i enjoy xiuxiu's videos i just dont think of him as a knowledgeable source.

then again, i dont really expect much from knife channels on YT.

i've always really liked solo (randy) the most to be honest.

Dude this threads horrible lol

Most people are just making vids for hobbyism, its all innocent and kind gesture.

The reviews that start with "OK guys..", "Hi guys...", or "just wanted to show you guys this..."

...guys...

Most people are just making vids for hobbyism, its all innocent and kind gesture.

i completely understand but there are many people that consider these "reviewers" a reliable source of information.

i'm certain that most of them are not members here. it is obvious that people really take these guys serious.

:)

All reviewers pale in comparison to bluntruth4u. Too bad he hasn't posted a video in over a year.

I kinda agree, this thread is ... sorta horrible. ;)

but... no, plenty of reviewers are making money from their channels. Is that the only reason their channel exists? I don't know.

i completely understand but there are many people that consider these "reviewers" a reliable source of information.

i'm certain that most of them are not members here. it is obvious that people really take these guys serious.

:)

Yes, I was once one of them. :(

The guys that hold their camera phone vertically while filming. Oh boy I love shakey cam AND a small vertical strip of video.

Wow this thread is absolute garbage and is completely devoid of class. But seeing how it was started by infamous threadcrapper "four_shore" I'm really not surprised.

Dan, I'd love to see YOU try to do a video review. It's real easy to be an armchair commando and talk a bunch of trash, but I've yet to see your efforts materialize into anything besides hot air.

I understand there are a good deal of poor quality knife videos on youtube, and it's a running joke for people on knife forums to stereotype and berate people on youtube (trust me, it's a two way street, and you are a shining example of the sterotypical asshat forum member), but calling people out by name does nothing but breed negative energy and invite contempt. And of course it's all done behind faceless avatars in typical gestappo forum style. No one here would have the balls to really attach their names to any of this nonsense, let alone say it to anyone's face.

I'm surprised such a patently negative and utterly worthless thread would even be allowed on a discussion forum intended to promote the intelligent discussion of knives. Grow up.

I'm surprised such a patently negative and utterly worthless thread would even be allowed on a discussion forum intended to promote the intelligent discussion of knives. Grow up.

Yeah, let's take this conversation to the YouTube comments section. :p

I called him out on this once and got a nasty reply... Whats people to think when he asks for donations in the same video showing a new Sebenza or Strider???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back