Would anyone else be upset with jimping like this?(resolved)

Can you fill us in mate, for us recalcitrant types without instagram

I was going to say the same, no Facebook, Instagram or snapchat here.

No worries, I'll try and be brief: they have an ongoing balisong project that is basically vaporware but they took a ton of people's money, the son Ian is constantly quitting/getting fired and then rejoining the company, and it's highly likely almost all of the machining for the Dominators and their trinkets is done in China. They block people and delete posts any time someone brings anything up, and refused to let anyone but those with preorders for the balisong handle the one prototype at Blade.

edit: this should be viewable from the web even without an IG account: https://www.instagram.com/ddrknivesofchina/

Wow. The IG page also claims that they're selling Chinese parts to other makers as domestic production, and that they substitute steel types and mark the blade incorrectly if they don't have the correct steel in stock.

One of the first Ti flippers I bought was a Dominator 35, brand new from BHQ. The Dominator's action felt absolutely fantastic, but the blade had extremely uneven grinds, and the tip was *far* off from the blade's centerline. It had other less serious F&F issues as well, and there was a very deep scratch in the backspacer that happened post-anodization. I returned it immediately, and eventually used the money to buy my first Bradford and my first Spyderco. Finding out the Dominator could be made in China makes me even more relieved that I returned it.

Reactions: Mo2
Sorry about not updating guys work is crazy in the summer for me. I have been attempting to contact DDR weekly the first time I got a hold of anyone was on the phone last week. The manager I was working with no longer works there, big surprise. I asked what was going on with my knife? I was told that they were planning on looking at it today... what I coincidence I thought. You planned on looking at my knife the exact day I get a hold of someone after two and a half months of zero communication. I was told by Darrels wife they would give me a call in a couple days. Still waiting lol . I will keep you guys updated anytime I have news but so far ddr has been very effective at keeping me in the dark.

serious train wreck - thanks for the update

I'm so glad I don't/haven't got into spending huge sums for knives
(I don't mind that others do, I love the art, but I'm not an art collector)

That Instagram is the perfect reason as to why you do NOT want to screw over customers in this age of the Internet. You might get 100 guys who take it on the chin but then Boom! One guy has the time, effort and resources to wage a very successful (and in this case highly entertaining) PR war against you. As to DDR, there's some production stuff he no longer makes I wouldn't mind owning but after reading this horror show no way would i plunk down any cash for a custom. Best of Luck to the OP and any other poor unfortunates in this same situation. $4k for a pocketknife, you expect "Rolls Royce Service", not Ted calling from Billy Bob's Hyundai, maybe, if he feels like it, possibly.

I finally got to speak to Darrel for the first time last week and they said they will give me a full refund for the purchase and have been very apologetic and despite what happened previously I do feel it's sincere. I will update when I receive my refund. Thanks so much for everyone support.

Wow what a shame to come that close to perfection and fall short. The knife is beautiful to look at but the blade has obvious issues and for that kind of hard earned money you should not feel bad at all wanting your money back. I am a licensed electrician and I back all my work as a professional should even if it means blowing your profit margin because as they say in the trades, a man is only good as his last job. That being said if it were me in that situation I would plunk down money on some cheap airfare and pay the man a visit at his place of work.

I finally got to speak to Darrel for the first time last week and they said they will give me a full refund for the purchase and have been very apologetic and despite what happened previously I do feel it's sincere. I will update when I receive my refund. Thanks so much for everyone support.

Good news.
I hope they come through and you are made whole.

Ya me

It's okay, as long as I get a refund soon I will be fine with it.

What a tragic conclusion to a tragic tale.

A FOUR THOUSAND dollar knife, butchered, the owner disregarded and ignored, and all you have to show for this headache is a refund?

What a fantastic reason to NEVER buy a DDR knife, EVER.

A good business man would have offered you a refund, or, the alternative of making you the proper knife with a steeeeep discount. Frankly, if I were DDR, I would've given you your knife on the house. It's a company's duty to bite the proverbial bullet. Not yours. Had they done this, the tables would have turned in their favor and this could've been a positive situation for their business. Could have created customers.

One happy customer = They tell a few people, maybe give you a positive write up.

One unhappy customer = This 6 page monstrosity of a thread and an entire forum of enthusiasts that now know better. We are, after all, his NICHE market.

What a shame, sorry for you OP.

all i've known about his knives is that they use a bunch of materials i have no interest in taking care of. would have gone on assuming the craftsmanship was on point at least. so this was a nice read. just going to lump his work in with boker magnum type crap. that detent path/maze/mole tunnel looking thing made me a little sick

Ur6yDN4.jpg

Nope...I think it just adds character! Just use and enjoy your knife!

Back