Would anyone else be upset with jimping like this?(resolved)

Everything else wasn't steller. The handles are amazing but the blade has issues. That being said this blade is the second attempt so I know the maker(s) is getting fed up with me.

Good grief, man, you got it backwards...YOU should be fed up with the MAKER...
Send it back... it's obvious that YOU don't want it. You're already sick and tired of the trouble that this knife has put you thru, and you'll ALWAYS dislike this knife.
I know that the maker has NOT done any kind of a job that I would accept. Here are two examples of proper and exact jimping...
BTW, the outstanding custom horiz cross-draw leather sheath is by my good friend Dave Ferry of Horsewright Clothing and Tack. He makes fine custom leather for horses and leather clothing and gear, including custoom sheaths and holsters, for the ranchers and cowboys. He also makes a very fine wide range of fixed blades in various styles with MANY grip options...Check out his web page.
Now to the JIMPING:
The first is on my production Spyderco Slysz Bowie...not aggressive jimping, but sufficient.
The second is on my entirely custom blade (from CTS-XHP stock) from Josh at REK.....He has his long-awaited milling machine just singing tunes.. And, THIS is jimping...and aggressive exactly the way that I specified it. Wonderful work by Josh. jimping.jpg jimping2.jpg

Attachments

• jimping.jpg
    jimping.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 6
  • jimping2.jpg
    jimping2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Alternatively you could try compromising, a considerable discount and have somebody make it right, like Josh@REK. Since it really looks like it can be remedied, it just needs somebody who gives a damn.
If I have too, I will get this thing done right by someone. He would be at the top of the list. On principle though it should be DDR. If this happened and someone made a similar post on Rick hinderers fb page or any number of other makers they would not take offense and block you, they would be all too eager to make it right an ensure another satisfied cutomer and use it as a shiny example of their Sterling customer service and quality Guarantee.

Good grief, man, you got it backwards...YOU should be fed up with the MAKER...
Send it back... it's obvious that YOU don't want it. You're already sick and tired of the trouble that this knife has put you thru, and you'll ALWAYS dislike this knife.
I know that the maker has NOT done any kind of a job that I would accept. Here are two examples of proper and exact jimping...
The first is on my production Spyderco Slysz Bowie...not aggressive jimping, but sufficient.
The second is on my custom blade from Josh at REK..... And, THIS is jimping...and aggressive exactly the way that I specified it. Wonderful work by Josh. View attachment 892908 View attachment 892909
Damn that rek is sexy. Leather work looks great too and your right about about that. I don't think the experience would make me hate the knife If done right. However the knife has to be done PERFECT to forget about the experience.

What absolute insanity. All horrific fit and finish issues aside, you didn't get the blade style that you requested on TWO instances? I can understand a maker and a customer designing a blade shape together, but this is not that. There is sloppiness, then there is just plain not caring. And for a $4k custom, there just isn't any excuse for either. I would be interested in hearing what DDR and co. have to say about all this.

Fascinating thread on an amazing knife . I would be going insane about this . I am trying at my age to throttle the temper back because if you go into it hot headed the end result will be a loss for both sides of the situation. But it would be so damn hard for me when its something as costly as this.
It boggles my mind the attitude of this maker. to send that blade back with that jimping is such a spit in the face its shocking!!
what happens to these guys over time? is it the stress/toll of dealing with the customer ? is it the God factor of the human nature where when we are treated like we are Gods who crap gold we start to believe it and treat others as nobodies?

really hope the OP keeps the thread going and we see the end result and I wish him the best of luck on this situation and he ends up happy :(

Fascinating thread on an amazing knife . I would be going insane about this . I am trying at my age to throttle the temper back because if you go into it hot headed the end result will be a loss for both sides of the situation. But it would be so damn hard for me when its something as costly as this.
It boggles my mind the attitude of this maker. to send that blade back with that jimping is such a spit in the face its shocking!!
what happens to these guys over time? is it the stress/toll of dealing with the customer ? is it the God factor of the human nature where when we are treated like we are Gods who crap gold we start to believe it and treat others as nobodies?

really hope the OP keeps the thread going and we see the end result and I wish him the best of luck on this situation and he ends up happy :(

Fan Boys -> Full Books -> Ego

They feel untouchable to a degree, imagine you are a well known maker, you have more orders than you can handle or at least your hands plenty full, a few people who are unhappy won't phase you as much as it should after being in that routine for years. At least that's what I am imagining.

Yes I will I just have little good news yet I had make a diagram to show all the issues it had and point out the poor craftsmanship and write them letter explaining I want all the repairs made or 4k+ in my bank. I am sending it out tomorrow. I can say I called them and left many messages. After 4 days of not getting a hold of anyone. I specifically asked to have a call back so I could talk to a real person no bs. So almost a business week later I get an email from Ian saying he has no idea what issues I could be referring too but they would warrantee it. Needless to say this knife has so many issues I would be blown away if they decided to put their heart into it now and make the knife I wanted from the beginning. I wont hold my breath though I have little faith my satisfaction is a priority at this point. I will post soon. Thanks for everyone's support.

Yes I will I just have little good news yet I had make a diagram to show all the issues it had and point out the poor craftsmanship and write them letter explaining I want all the repairs made or 4k+ in my bank. I am sending it out tomorrow. I can say I called them and left many messages. After 4 days of not getting a hold of anyone. I specifically asked to have a call back so I could talk to a real person no bs. So almost a business week later I get an email from Ian saying he has no idea what issues I could be referring too but they would warrantee it. Needless to say this knife has so many issues I would be blown away if they decided to put their heart into it now and make the knife I wanted from the beginning. I wont hold my breath though I have little faith my satisfaction is a priority at this point. I will post soon. Thanks for everyone's support.

Glad you gathered your evidence man. Stay strong brother. We all want it to work out for you. You seem like a good guy l, sorry your having to jump through hoops. Keep us posted.

well at least he did respond and is seemingly willing to look at it but I would be concerned with what "warranty" means to them. if it means functioning of the knife it may be his way of squirming out of things with a loophole

best of luck for a good resolution on this

let them know about this thread as well if things escalate to that point . many knifemakers actually do care about whats being said on the forums about them as it directly affects business for them

let them know about this thread as well if things escalate to that point . many knifemakers actually do care about whats being said on the forums about them as it directly affects business for them

Yep, this has already ensured I will never purchase a Darrel Ralph (though being honest, I don't necessarily dig his work personally anyway. Too cluttered and flashy in his designs)

Here is the diagram I had to make just to ensure no excuses could be made when something isn't the way I asked this time. Also included a letter stating I was disappointed with the craftsmanship and the deviation from my original specs and for that reason I do not consider this warranty work rather a last chance to fulfill my original order and they can have my knife the way I ordered it in my hands by June 1st or 4100 in my bank. Their choice
ku5urqY.jpg

Last edited:
You are a nicer guy than me, I would just demand a refund and go somewhere else. It's obvious the maker does not care about your knife, even though you are spending a ridiculous amount on it. There are a lot of other makers out there that aren't satisfied until the customer is happy, I'd try one of them.

You are a nicer guy than me, I would just demand a refund and go somewhere else. It's obvious the maker does not care about your knife, even though you are spending a ridiculous amount on it. There are a lot of other makers out there that aren't satisfied until the customer is happy, I'd try one of them.
Ya this is really the darkest side of customs I have experienced so far. It will surely leave a bad taste in my mouth but I won't let it effect me trying more maker's with much better reputations for customer satisfaction in the future. If work doesn't interfere I will likely be going to bladeshow and picking up a knife or two.

Ya this is really the darkest side of customs I have experienced so far. It will surely leave a bad taste in my mouth but I won't let it effect me trying more maker's with much better reputations for customer satisfaction in the future. If work doesn't interfere I will likely be going to bladeshow and picking up a knife or two.
I've only been to Bladeshow once in 2010, but I had a great time and picked up some nice knives. Although everything I picked up cost less combined than your custom lol. If you do go and grab something, make sure to do a show and tell for the rest of us!

Jesus man, I don't even have $4k... Pretty disgusting that they would send you the wrong blade twice, refuse to acknowledge the messed up jimping, and then act like nothing is wrong with it. I hope you get your money back.

Yep, this has already ensured I will never purchase a Darrel Ralph (though being honest, I don't necessarily dig his work personally anyway. Too cluttered and flashy in his designs)

+1 here on this. The designs never spoke to me, but the blade grinds look interesting (I've been on a compound grind kick recently) and I've been tempted to pick one up. Now, not so much.

I'm actually surprised, to be honest. I may expect this sort of thing from a knife maker - someone who's skilled at making knives won't necessarily be great at customer service. However, this is a knife company - you'd think they'd have hired people to manage customer service and quality control by now.

Alternatively you could try compromising, a considerable discount and have somebody make it right, like Josh@REK. Since it really looks like it can be remedied, it just needs somebody who gives a damn.

This may work, but two things to consider: knife customizers may be reluctant to work on such an expensive knife due to liability issues, and as soon as someone else does touch the knife with power tools, Darrel Ralph can disclaim all responsibility for it. I'd make sure to explore all other avenues (up to and including getting a lawyer - for this price range, it may be worth it) before looking elsewhere.

Jesus man, I don't even have $4k... Pretty disgusting that they would send you the wrong blade twice, refuse to acknowledge the messed up jimping, and then act like nothing is wrong with it. I hope you get your money back.
So the wrong blade wasn't SENT to me twice. I was sent a picture from the manager showing me my blade ready to get the finishing touches on it before the knife could be sent out a week or two later. When I saw the picture I had to point out out that I didn't order a recurve blade and that the blade in the picture had no milled bearing pockets and no hardend detent insert that the two existing fusion blades that combine mokuti flat with steel bevel had ( basically they were cutting corners). So I said I wasn't okay with that and had to wait even longer to get the new blade.( another month I believe). So when I received the knife it was already the second blade attempt. I saw the blatant disregard for fit and finish in the jimping and lock bar insert gaps and the action. At that point it had to be taken apart because I knew in my gut the internals were off. The milled bearing pockets were so poorly done they had one washer twice the thickness on one side just to center the knife properly to make up for tolerances. A soft metal detent insert that got deeper by the hour from the detent ball carving into it and the insert itself was mashed in the blade so poorly you could see the metal cracked by the detent ramp that was so deep the lock bar insert scraped the blade for the first bit of closing action. That was my unboxing experience after waiting 8 months

Last edited:
Back