Would you buy a Chinese-made Buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok not an expert on buck history I should read more I guess, thought it said china on the blister pack

Honest mistake, so many knives are. Just not that one. It's still interesting the comparison of the newer 110 which is 420HC steel and the the model from 1976, which I think is 440C. Different Edges.

My first post here so for my $0.02, Im not enough of a metallurgist to argue with you if theyre as "good" or not, I bought a Chinese made 110 many years ago at Wally World for like $24.95 just to have a spare camp knife at the lease. I could not tell the difference in it from my 1976 model USA 110. In fact the factory chinese edge was much sharper.

With that said I now gladly pay more money to support USA made products. I dont need to save a few dollars on a product Im going to use for 20-30 years, yeah I know it all goes in the same corporate account but its like Starbucks coffee, I just wont spend my money there due to my beliefs and principals.
It's possible the sheath was made off shore, but no 110 has ever been made outside US.

They were $27 in 2017 at my walmart then the went to $35 last year and thats where they are now. The $48 is at lowes. Obviously Walmart buys a ton more than lowes? The solo at walmart is $14 so when i saw it at $10 and then a 10% discount i said why not.

I collect the 300 series Bucks, so their is a very limited number of patterns made in the USA at this time. So if I see a China made one I like, I will buy it. I have way too many American made Bucks that are EDC carried. So I own Chinese Bucks but do not carry them. The latest China made knives were the Imitation Stag Christmas tin.

I collect the 300 series Bucks, so their is a very limited number of patterns made in the USA at this time. So if I see a China made one I like, I will buy it. I have way too many American made Bucks that are EDC carried. So I own Chinese Bucks but do not carry them. The latest China made knives were the Imitation Stag Christmas tin.
The Chinese made are safe queens?

Would like to see a picture of that tin?
Meaning? They just stay in your safe? Guess i dont have anything valuable enough to put them in my over crowded safes? ( 30 years of gun collecting) :D

Well I don't have a safe but the Chinese knives are stored with the other USA 300 series that are not carried, they are part of the collection. I just personally choose to carry USA made Buck 300's.

I have a buck knife I purchased a couple of decades ago. The company I was working at paid for it. It was somewhat expensive. I believe it was called an "electricians" knife. Very good quality and has provided excellent service over many years. Recently I purchased thru Wal-Mart (mail order) a small BUCK pocket knife. It did cost a bit of money, but when I got it I feel like my money was wasted to an extent. Though I am sure it is new, it looked used and the quality from first appearance was in my view, low grade. Even the symbol BUCK looked like something you would see on a 50 cent toy. It is not as sharp as I expected it to be as well. Then I saw that it was made in China. I have a number of pocket knives I have collected over the years. All but one are generic and have no name on them. But I consider them all equal to the BUCK knife. There is one exception. My son a few years ago gave me a pocket knife he had been given or found or something. It is much better than BUCK CHINA one I just got. And guess what? It has on it's blade "BUCK U.S.A." I would recommend this. If you are going to purchase a BUCK knife, to it in person so you can evaluate if it is the quality you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back