You Carry a Knife Because?

Thought it would be interesting to start a thread about some of the reasons you carry a knife and when and why you started..

I started carrying a knife everyday mainly because I work in construction and can't tell you how many times I needed to cut/open/loosen a knot or whatever and didn't have my tools close by.

Another reason I carry is for self defense if ever needed, especially since I'm not allowed to carry a gun, my permit is currently in appeal and is scheduled for hearing Oct. 27th and I know what the answer is NO GUN.. (long innocent story, so no reason to get your panties in a bunch :)

So why/when/how/what got you started not only into knives but carrying a knife daily..

I'm a seasonal farmhand. Can't tell you all the times I need a knife when I'm working. I just carry one everywhere I go because I never know when I'm going to need it and I also feel naked without one.

Why? For cutting open packaging and suchlike for the most part. Knives are not as clumsy or random as fingers; an elegant tool for a more civilized age.

Also: Slicing up fruit at lunch, firewood, tent stakes, etc. while camping, bottle opener and scissors on my SAKs get used more than the blade... I usually end up having a good excuse to cut something several times a day, which pales in comparison to many people here.

Last edited:
Why? For cutting open packaging and suchlike for the most part. Knives are not as clumsy or random as fingers; an elegant tool for a more civilized age.

I seriously loled at that.

I carry one for cutting open packages, cutting snake food, fish food, prepare food, and if ever needed self defense. There's also the random tasks.

Why do I carry a knife ? (knives) Because I like too. Period.

And that's all I have to say about that - Forest Gump.

I carry a knife because I need to cut stuff and a knife does a much better job of it than my keys, pen, teeth or fingernails.

Because my whit, while sharp. Is not as adequate at seperating media as is a piece of finely tempered steel.

because you never know when you're gonna need to cut a biotech.

At first, I started carrying a knife when I was young because I took 'Be Prepared' to heart. I've always found knives to be useful things to have in pretty much any situation, so I've kept carrying one.

You never know when you might have to cut or pry something. I use mine daily from everything to cutting boxes open to cutting up an apple. When Im fishing I use it to cut fishing line, cut up cut bait, and to gut a fish. For hunting to cut limbs for shooting lanes and to gut a deer.

Back