You Carry a Knife Because?

...I don't have claws or really sharp teeth??? :confused:

Short Answer -- Because I often need a sharp edge or a pointed tool.

In any case, though, I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Gee, after all these witty, deep, sophisticated answers, I just don't have anything to add...:confused:

I started carrying a knife in first grade mostly to sharpen my pencils and play mumblety peg. It soon became the class tool.

I was given my first pocket knife as a young girl of 7, by my father. He grew up in the mountains of Alabama and wanted all of his Chicago-born children to be familiar with things of a more rural nature...hunting, fishing etc., and for reasons of self defense. I'm now a 45 year old registered nurse and can't tell you the number of times in my personal or professional life that the "day was saved" because I had a knife in my purse, pocket or bra...they are such a multi-purpose tool. And sometimes they are pretty...if not outright "sexy" as my son would say.

I was given my first pocket knife as a young girl of 7, by my father. He grew up in the mountains of Alabama and wanted all of his Chicago-born children to be familiar with things of a more rural nature...hunting, fishing etc., and for reasons of self defense. I'm now a 45 year old registered nurse and can't tell you the number of times in my personal or professional life that the "day was saved" because I had a knife in my purse, pocket or bra...they are such a multi-purpose tool. And sometimes they are pretty...if not outright "sexy" as my son would say.

Welcome to the forums! If you don't mind me asking, did you ever need to "display" it in a self defense role?

No, I don't mind the question. Once, at age 22, I found myself and a girlfriend in the kitchen of a restaurant in one of the suburbs...after closing time. ( Her new "boyfriend" was one of the owners. ) All of a sudden I got the creeps and looked around, did the math and realized we were 2 females with about 15 guys that we really didn't know. It was like a scene out of a horror movie. I said we were leaving... one of the guys actually said " No. You aren't." ...in that horror type movie tone and everything. I grabbed a cleaver in each hand and again said that we were leaving...and then we backed out the door. I threw the knives out the window on the way home...I wish I would have kept them. So...not a knife of my own...I had one...in my purse but knew that wasn't going to get my point across anyway near as good as a cleaver would and didn't really have the time to get it out. The cleavers were right there...handy...and big enough to be taken seriously. But I think my familiarity with knives was what led to my immediately seeing the cleavers and not being afraid to use them...I had helped my dad butcher game...and ultimately to saving us from...?...something Bad Bad.

Back