You Carry a Knife Because?

I want to thank everyone who posted to this thread. I have had knife in my pocket since my dad gave me one to help the Carpenter when I was 4. I have worked many jobs in rural and urban America. Many of my bosses insisted that I had a knife. If I did not have a knife, they told me to get one before coming to work, or they gave me one of their knives.

I am an old crippled guy and I now need a knife or scissors to cut the paper they wrap utensils in. I am often asked his question, and I appreciate you many good answers.

Yesterday, I fell, and was taken to the hospital. When they found the the first knife, they asked the question, and I gave my standard "crippled" answer. I only had two knives in my pockets, but they did get testy when they found a total of eleven (including a Two-Can) in my brief case and jacket. I had not realized I had so many. Fortunately, there were only two or three over four inches. They were very polite and did not call the cops because they understood that I had several times refused medical assistance and had resisted entering the hospital. I was very happy that no one triggered the auto.

Like many of you, I do not carry for self-defense. I am just impatient with bindings.

Thanks for all the great advice and pictures of knives I would have preferred they found. Mine are just cutters.

I wish you the very best reader1, and that you will heal quickly and to be able to carry on!!:thumbup::) Prayer out for ya'!:D

I carry my knife for the same reason that I carry my pistol -- I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I didn't care about your original post.
I was commenting on the definitely obnoxious comment slandering the people of an entire country.
I stand by my judgement that to do so was obnoxious.

Please explain how I slandered the people of an entire country. For the record you didn't call me obnoxious. You called me immature. I understand it's hard to keep all the names I'm being called straight.

My dad gave me a scout knife when I was 7 years old. Back then every boy carried a pocket knife.

I've had a knife in my pocket everyday since. If I had a nickel for every time I was glad I had one, I could have retired two years ago. ;)

My Grandfather always carried a pocket knife. He bought me my first knife when I was about 5. I have always carried a knife in some form or another. I recently have been carrying tactical and auto knives concealed for defense as I cannot get a concealed carry permit in Illinois. Hopefully they change that soon, I would love to carry my S&W .38 Bodyguard.

I want to thank everyone who posted to this thread. I have had knife in my pocket since my dad gave me one to help the Carpenter when I was 4. I have worked many jobs in rural and urban America. Many of my bosses insisted that I had a knife. If I did not have a knife, they told me to get one before coming to work, or they gave me one of their knives.

I am an old crippled guy and I now need a knife or scissors to cut the paper they wrap utensils in. I am often asked his question, and I appreciate you many good answers.

Yesterday, I fell, and was taken to the hospital. When they found the the first knife, they asked the question, and I gave my standard "crippled" answer. I only had two knives in my pockets, but they did get testy when they found a total of eleven (including a Two-Can) in my brief case and jacket. I had not realized I had so many. Fortunately, there were only two or three over four inches. They were very polite and did not call the cops because they understood that I had several times refused medical assistance and had resisted entering the hospital. I was very happy that no one triggered the auto. EXCELLENT. ;)

Like many of you, I do not carry for self-defense. I am just impatient with bindings.

Thanks for all the great advice and pictures of knives I would have preferred they found. Mine are just cutters.

I am able bodied and have no excuse, but I still can't defeat ANY wrapping with my bare fingers, hence the SAK. Nevermind the proliferation of anti-shoplifting indestructible plastic clamshell packaging. Further, I have become so jaded(?!) that I simply will not make the time to eat fresh fruit unless I can cut it with a small plain Sebenza, Victorinox Recruit or traditional Mora.

No pocket knife, no fruit. No bill paying. No work gets done. :eek:

Seems like people bandy needs-based knife ownership around, as if they liked being mistrusted.

Started carrying a knife because my classes started ending really, really late. And I usually end up parking at the farthest lot from my university and by the time I get out it's well passed dark. I don't own a gun and my switchblade is very easy to carry. So in case someone jumps me from behind or if someone hides under my car and tries to grab my ankles (stupid fear, I know) I won't be completely defenseless.

Says the Canadian.:rolleyes:

Please explain how I slandered the people of an entire country. For the record you didn't call me obnoxious. You called me immature. I understand it's hard to keep all the names I'm being called straight.

You basically said that the other poster's opinion was due to the fact that he's from Canada.
Since, judging by the context, you didn't intend it as a compliment to him, you, by extension, were putting down the inhabitants of Canada.
This is an immature way of having a discussion.
It is also obnoxious.

You basically said that the other poster's opinion was due to the fact that he's from Canada.
Since, judging by the context, you didn't intend it as a compliment to him, you, by extension, were putting down the inhabitants of Canada.
This is an immature way of having a discussion.
It is also obnoxious.

Stating that a person gets his opinion because he is from a certain country is not slander. I also do not know the opinion of the rest of the country so I was not commenting on them. I was commenting on one man's opinion. So I did nothing to the people of an entire nation and I certainly didn't slander anyone at all. Keep throwing around the hyperbole though it is rather amusing.

Stating that a person gets his opinion because he is from a certain country is not slander. I also do not know the opinion of the rest of the country so I was not commenting on them.

MAJOR logical disconnect here.
If you do not know the opinion of the rest of the country, you cannot say that a person has a certain opinion because they are from that country.

MAJOR logical disconnect here.
If you do not know the opinion of the rest of the country, you cannot say that a person has a certain opinion because they are from that country.

Seriously? The poster I commented on gave his opinion. I commented on why he was that opinion. I'm sure most of the country thinks that way given the laws of your land. I'm also sure that the entire country does not feel this way. Or am I wrong and the whole country is in lockstep?

Seriously? The poster I commented on gave his opinion. I commented on why he was that opinion. I'm sure most of the country thinks that way given the laws of your land.

Laws seldom accurately reflect the way the inhabitants of a country truly feel.
There are some recent laws which the majority of the populace didn't agree with that got passed anyway, a situation which occurs in your country as well.
That's all on this topic though, because it would get all political if continued.:barf:

Also, the laws of our country are quite lax regarding most knives, so it's difficult to see what you thought you were basing your opinion on.

I based my opinion on the irony of the first poster that started the name calling. That's all.
I'll just leave it with I prefer the laws where I live as compared to where you live and I think that is directly related to what is allowed by the populace.

I carry one for many reason. Here are a few. I'm a girl and it makes me different and I love being different. It's my right and if I don't hold up my rights I might lose them. I like to cut things and leave a nice clean cut. Another reason is I've been brainwashed by forum members. :D

I carry a knife cause I like to cut stuff.

Take that any way you like it. Or don't like it.:eek:

1. Because I have carried one since I was a kid
2. I have carried one since I was a kid because they are useful tools
3. The ones that I carry appeal to me from an aesthetic perspective
4. They can be fun to play with (flipper designs)
5. With a knife in your pocket and access to sticks you can always whittle

Back