You Carry a Knife Because?

Because I have my pants on....In the early 70's I was in BEEP and A school at Great Lakes Ill. Naval training Center and a simple folder saved me from a sever beating by 3 guys who REALLY wanted to take my money AND other personal possessions...I did not manage to cut any of them but it did give me a 30 second head start,and I got away...

I carry a knife because that's how I was raised.Been carrying a knife since 2nd or 3rd grade.

Same as Grim62, first pocket knife in the cub scouts MANY years ago. Now, I feel naked without a knife (lately 2 !). Too many uses to list....other day a guy stopped me on the street in front of a outside seating area for a local restaurant and asked if I had a knife to help him tighten a screw on his saxophone! Really, how did he know I had a knife (or 3 at that time!)...maybe the Ranger Knives hat was a giveaway!! The band played that night.

Mainly because that's the way I was raised. Dad always had one and so did grandpa. Its to the point now that it is just an extension of yourself and feel naked without one.

First, because of my rule (not one step without a knife), because it is the most useful tool any if you get in a survival situation or something, knife is your best friend,
Second, because it opens lots of stuff really fast, bags of chips, etc. and you can use it so for much more
and Third, self defense, because here you can carry a gun only with psycho-tests, lots of hours on shooting range and a really expensive permit, so I carry a knife
And yeah, I have this really uncomfortable feeling when Im without a knife for longer than few minutes. Like something is missing, something is not right.

Last edited:
First, because of my rule (not one step without a knife), because it is the most useful tool any if you get in a survival situation or something, knife is your best friend,
Second, because it opens lots of stuff really fast, bags of chips, etc. and you can usi it for much more...And yeah, I have this really uncomfortable feeling when Im without a knife for longer than few minutes. Like something is missing, something is not right.

+1. I just got into knives this year and if I don't have one it's like going without my watch...just doesn't feel right. I pop my scallion in the office to slice open the energy bars I keep on hand :)

I think in general most people go from house-car-work-car-house and don't feel like they will ever need a knife unless they're in the great outdoors.

As for survival, and sorry if this is getting off-track a bit...I want to get a first-aid kit to carry in my car as well. You guys are probably familiar with Nutnfancy's first-aid story....just watched it last night and it was pretty gripping and I think everyone should watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoOuzwzP7PY

You never know.

I have been carrying a knife since I was 3. (did I get the tense and ing-form right?)
It was a little, dull, harmless blade. Yet it did teach me a few things about knives and safety. Since then I have always carried a knife. Just like my father, grandfather and uncles.
My sister also carries a knife.
My current EDC, Rambler and Swiss Champ allow me to do nearly anything that might need doing. And they don`t freak people out like the locking folders I used to EDC in primary school years ago.:mad::cool:

I have been carrying a knife since I was 3. (did I get the tense and ing-form right?)

You did far better than most of us!:thumbup: English verb tense formation is ridiculously complex.

I have been carrying a knife or multitool since I was eleven. Not only is it useful on a daily basis, it is simply pleasing to me to have one. I feel naked without it.

Reminds me of the threads on the gun forums about "Why do you carry a gun?" The answers are the same, for the most part.

I have carried a knife on me for close to 50 years and I see no reason to stop now. It gets used for everything from breaking down recycling to catching those missed whiskers from the morning shave.

Back