Your COVID19 responses (projects you’re doing), let’s see ‘em, and mine (86 splitback whittler mod)

Hollowing dry hardwoods glued together proved to be quite difficult with the basic tools I have but we are getting there.

An open bowl would be no problem. Getting under the rim to hollow around the form is the hard part.

Hopefully I don’t wreck it tomorrow as I try to finish it

RMTDjux.jpg

That is turning out great, nice work!

As if I didn't already have a huge lack of free time as it is, I have been helping a co-worker with an anniversary project for his wife. He is building one of those mud room locker things for the kids. This is where we are at so far. We will be painting what you see, then filling in the back with reclaimed pallet wood. Should turn out pretty decent.

Ronnie.jpg

Here is a Scagle inspired knife I forged for my dad for Christmas this year. Started as a 1/4 inch billet of 5160. I meant to leave more forged scale, but getting the blade geometry how I wanted it removed most of the marks I intended on leaving.

This was only my second attempt at a forged knife. First hidden tang.

yIRGBiC.jpg

Uk7MFGX.jpg

KiYU91K.jpg

hIwU7Xp.jpg

xAyCtux.jpg

vgHDjEL.jpg

xd2SEMV.jpg
Wow! I didn't know you forged. Very nice work.

That is turning out great, nice work!

Gracias Glenn :)
It almost did not "turn out" today lol

Good luck!

Thank you Joshua !

I needed some luck today to get it finished.
I have this bad habit of pushing the limits a little bit, especially when reversing the piece for the final time to do the foot.
I should call it quits much sooner as perfection, as we all know it does not exist.

Got a catch today on one of those last passes with the gouge trying to refine the shape. Luckily I was able to make the foot smaller to get rid of the damage.

I also turned another one in curly maple. This was one was a revelation of sorts as I started to get tuned in for the correct angles for the tools and some of the muscle memory and technique starts coming back.

Here they are with one coat of Watco. I'll give them a couple more and when fully dry will buff and wax them.

ajpUkY7.jpg

M1QUhwi.jpg

We’ll, I made a pocket sheath for my new fixed blade tonight. I used a piece of leather from the top of an old pair of cowboy boots. I wouldn’t say it looks good and I would go as far as saying the clip is ugly, but it gets the job done. It’s in my pocket right now on the recliner and I can’t tell. I’ll carry it tomorrow and see how it works out.
kKaRPlg.jpg

cWeUoLg.jpg

hrPOKiT.jpg

Leather work is tough when you don’t know what you are doing. If you listen really closely, you can hear JohnDF JohnDF shaking his head and sighing in disgust. :D

Not ever, my friend. :)
I appreciate the ingenuity and completion.
Using the top of an old boot is absolute genius.
Thanks, John. I think with some better execution the boot top could actually make a decent sheath/slip. I need to find a better clip; the one I had on hand is a little too chunky.

Here is my latest Covid project, a new bar top. This is a cherry slab from a tree I had taken down last year. Had to flatten, sand, and finish it. I'm pretty happy with it. Hope to install by this weekend.

And to make it marginally knife related, I used my new 38 English Whittler to clean up a few tricky slivers of wood.
20210419_172649_copy_768x1024.jpg 20210418_115339_copy_1024x768.jpg 20210420_134809_copy_1024x768.jpg 20210420_134744_copy_1024x768.jpg

Here is my latest Covid project, a new bar top. This is a cherry slab from a tree I had taken down last year. Had to flatten, sand, and finish it. I'm pretty happy with it. Hope to install by this weekend.

And to make it marginally knife related, I used my new 38 English Whittler to clean up a few tricky slivers of wood.
View attachment 1550189 View attachment 1550190 View attachment 1550191 View attachment 1550192

Beauty! I like how you made a sled for the router to ride on for flattening the top.

Beauty! I like how you made a sled for the router to ride on for flattening the top.
Thanks! I watched a lot of YT videos in preparation. This was my first time doing something like this, so there were definitely some lessons learned. But overall very successful.

Well, this is for the most part complete. Got a few things to touch up with paint. My co-worker wanted some LED tape light installed, so we did that also.

Ronnie2.jpg
Ronnie3.jpg

It was a fun project, and the first of this size I had done in quite some time.

I’m sure I’m not alone in this but the last year did not go how I thought it would. I have never had less free time in my life than this last year. I’m a clinical administrator in a residential and outpatient facility so quarantine for me consisted of still going to work every day and if I wasn’t doing that it was doing home schooling with a kindergartner and a second grader who need a lot of hands on help. Their schools are fortunately in person now. The knife itself didn’t get much work after the last pictures I think. I redid at least one if not both of the secondaries and got everything fitted and functional. I would have had to add bolsters or create new liners and do a fair amount of finishing to make it decent. It didn’t seem worth the effort to be honest. I was hoping for something larger and with a longer main than the grinling but the blade needed to shortened to fit. In the end it was fun to work on and figure everything out but a finished product would add nothing to my life and if it doesn’t do that it’s not worth it.

Back