1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Your first high quality knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by jabroneeman, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Tlov72

Tlov72

Feb 24, 2013
    To me it would have to be a Case trapper in the late 80's early 90's

2. xX_Blade_Xx

xX_Blade_Xx

Aug 2, 2013
    My first knife that was of any real value was a SOG Seal Pup. Not high end but it has and still is, serving me well.

3. upnorth

upnorth Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 25, 2006
    My ESEE's. Certainly not high cost, but high quality, yes. I am glad that no one has seen what I have done to some of them being pounded through wood knots, repeatedly....... I settled down on that after I became a believer.

4. shaving sharp

shaving sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Mine was in 1979 and it was a Gerber Guardian that I bought with the clip sheath and the shoulder holster sheath. I think I spent $55.00 total and was worried to tell my dad how much I spent.

5. oharal

oharal

Jan 21, 2013
    My first was a Benchmade 890 Torrent. Super nice knife and served me very well for a year in edc until I branched out.

6. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    My first quality knife was a spear point cqc7. I still have it, it has been used and abused but still works great!

7. jlwatts3

jlwatts3

Mar 5, 2012
    I had a Victorinox and Opinel during childhood, but got a Spyderco SS police when I was in high-school. Still can't believe I lost it in a dumpster (searched through disgusting water for hours).

8. whetrock

whetrock

Nov 13, 2010
    Case #220 Jackknife, and a Wenger SAK.

9. flarp

flarp

Sep 7, 2011
    First high quality knife was a Victorinox Spartan. First good modern folder I got was a Kershaw Blur.

10. imbryan715

imbryan715

Jan 16, 2012
    it really depends on what you would call quality.

the first knife i owned that would be recognized on this forum as a decent knife was an Ontario rat 1

11. G.Moll

G.Moll

Mar 20, 2012
    Case Sod buster Jr. For traditional
    Bm Mini Grip for modern folder
    bk11 for fixed

12. Poj

Poj

Aug 20, 2013
    Mine is my Emerson CQC-7BW left hander that I just got in the mail today. However, my wife just gave me a new knife yesterday (not knowing that I ordered the Emerson). In the name of keeping a happy marriage, my Emersom is going up for sale lol.

13. hank_rearden

hank_rearden

Jun 7, 2002
    titanium millie. before that, i had a buck 110, a gerber bolt, various SAKs, and a delica.

14. Boozoo Chavis

Boozoo Chavis

Oct 18, 2003
    Puma Game Warden I bought back in 1972.

15. 1Hiker2

1Hiker2 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Black Blur with a serrated edge, showed it to friend and he bought one. Way beyond the Blur in what I will pay for a knife now.

16. MaxFactor

MaxFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Probably back in 1997 or 1998, when I was about 9 years old, before I left for a canoe trip my parents gave me a fully serrated Spyderco Ladybug. Haven't seen it in years. Wish I could find that little lady. Although, I have a strong suspicion that one of my middle-school pals stole it.

2011 was when I got really hardcore into knives. Bought a Spyderco Manix2 lightweight and a CRKT Ultima. Shortly after that, I dropped a little over $300 on a Socom Delta and have since spent a lot more on knives than I am willing to admit.

17. J_Curd

J_Curd

Jul 26, 2006
    Wally World partially serrated tanto Blur when I was in college and ANY $50 purchase was big bucks.

18. AddictedToGear

AddictedToGear

Aug 28, 2013
    Kershaw chill and volt ii. Both were inexpensive but high quality for the money. I quickly stepped up to a Spyderco Tenacious and now my EDC an Endura 4 with the Emerson Wave on it.

19. redsquid2

redsquid2 Добрая Росомаха Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    Same with me. Same knife, same year. I was in Scouts, and the Scout Master said a locking knife was safer than a regular pocket knife, and a fixed blade knife was even safer than a locking knife. So I took the middle road, and got the lockback.

The lock never failed in 30 years :)

20. J_kocaj

J_kocaj

Jan 24, 2013
    Kershaw Chive was my first good knife, Benchmade Mini Presideo was my first Great knife