Your first high quality knife?

My first high quality knife has to have been my Spyderco Sage 1. It was the first time I spent over a hundred on a knife and I have been happy with it's quality ever since.

Well, I would have to say that a classic Victorinox was my first high quality knife. Easy to use, easy to take care of, though not a dedicated knife. After several CRKT's and other China-made knives, I ended up buying an original Spyderco Paramilitary at a local store and instantly fell in love. With the way Spyderco responds to customer input and consistent quality products, they quite easily made me a fan.

I was bitten by the bug. :cool:

I would say it is this Mcusta.

29082013255.jpg

This Puma Jagdnicker:

The knife itself was made in 1969, and it had been waiting for me in the shop until i bought it around 1980.
I still have & use it from time to time, and the stainless "Super Keen Cutting Steel" really takes and holds a wonderful edge.

My first quality knife was a Gerber Shorty hunting knife (not the same as the River Shorty) purchased when I was around 15. My dad had to drive me to the sporting goods store in Minneapolis. IIRC it was tool steel and had a textured aluminium handle. It was the first "hair shaving sharp" blade I ever owned. The steel was so hard the blade rang like a bell every time you bumped it on something hard (or even with a fingernail).

Sadly it was stolen a few years later when I was in the Army.

Last edited:
Kershaw 1431 G10 Wild Wild Turkey for me. I have other brands as well now, but Kershaw/ZT are my favorites, and the majority of my collection.

A Cold Steel Mini AK-47 started my sickness.
First knife over 100$ was my Benchmade Griptilian. ($120 I paid retail like an idiot)
Next highest price was my Spyderco Native 5 at 125$
And my most expensive knife to date is my Benchmade Adamas ($205, again, retail like an idiot)

Buck 110 that my grandpa gave me on my 10th bday

Now first one I bought myself was leatherman wave

Memories, memories... I guess my first would be a Spyderco Ladybug - the tiny one that started it all :D

In 1979, I bought myself a 1979 Case Barlow after graduating from HS. Still have it. Later I made the sheath from 1 7/8" nylon webbing.

Case%2520Barlow%2520Closed.jpg

Case%2520Barlow%2520Open.jpg

Last edited:
Benchmade 522 presidio ultra. It was my first knife ever that i bought a little over 3 years ago. I didn't I know a thing about knives, I just chose one that I could afford and looked cool. I still have it but I don't use it because now I know which steels I prefer. It just has sentimental value since it was my first. Still not a bad knife choice for knowing absolutely nothing about knives at the time

Back