Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

@Old Engineer
Thanks Harry, while I don't know if Schrade originated the pattern I do know they made it a legend! I was very happy to find it, oddly this was at the same pawn shop that I picked up my Schrade Uncle Henry LB7 and 127UH. This little gem wasn't there then.
David

2ain191.jpg
2eged0p.jpg

Picked up this carbon steel Schrade USA sharpfinger in a pawn shop, for less than what a new Chinese one goes for. Even though it looks to been carried and used it still had the factory grind one the edge. Was a bit dull though, 5 passes per side on a ultra fine diamond stone got it to shaving sharp.
Old and new are not even in the same ballpark. :eek:
That is a great knife! Sheath is leagues above a new one as well.:cool:

New Aitor Castor Pequeya came today. My first slip joint in 10 years. Man! The spring on this thing really IS a beast! A touch of moly paste in the pivot smoothed it out nicely, but you can't open this knife by accident. But it is a really nice, inexpensive knife. I like it so much, I ordered a second one for my brother.
IMG-5335.jpg

I have two new knives to show. Let's start with the Higonokami, fun little knife. Blade lenght is 70 mm, overall 170. The knife arrived sharp and with a little stropping it shaves. The splash-paint feels rubbery and gives a good grip, looks original too. There is enough friction for the knife to feel safe, so this does not need any modifications.

AppNwrp.jpg

Then I got this Otter small buckhorn folder. Blade lenght is 65 mm, overall 155, closed 88 mm. A good pocketknife size, I can just get a 4 finger grip and the handle is comfortable.

AQovv6u.jpg

Both liners and bolsters are brass. Looks like the fitting or finish of the bolsters is not as good as it could be. Maybe I should take some fine wet/dry sandpaper and try to refinish it? Also there is a small drop between the blade and spring, not really a flaw.

NhkBuA0.jpg

To my surprise it has a half-stop. Nice feature. The pull is peculiar, it feels quite smooth and easy in the beginning, but after the half-stop it is harder. I like this, it gives a sense of security, very good snap. Edge was good and easy to strop to shaving sharpness. Overall impression is that this does not have the same quality as GEC, but that would not be a fair comparison. With little work it could be close.

So I'm quite pleased with my new additions.:)

Last edited:
I have two new knives to show. Let's start with the Higonokami, fun little knife. Blade lenght is 70 mm, overall 170. The knife arrived sharp and with a little stropping it shaves. The splash-paint feels rubbery and gives a good grip, looks original too. There is enough friction for the knife to feel safe, so this does not need any modifications.

AppNwrp.jpg

Then I got this Otter small buckhorn folder. Blade lenght is 65 mm, overall 155, closed 88 mm. A good pocketknife size, I can just get a 4 finger grip and the handle is comfortable.

AQovv6u.jpg

Both liners and bolsters are brass. Looks like the fitting or finish of the bolsters is not as good as it could be. Maybe I should take some fine wet/dry sandpaper and try to refinish it? Also there is a small drop between the blade and spring, not really a flaw.

NhkBuA0.jpg

To my surprise it has a half-stop. Nice feature. The pull is peculiar, it feels quite smooth and easy in the beginning, but after the half-stop it is harder. I like this, it gives a sense of security, very good snap. Edge was good and easy to strop to shaving sharpness. Overall impression is that this does not have the same quality as GEC, but that would not be a fair comparison. With little work it could be close.

So I'm quite pleased with my new additions.:)
You've got some great stag on that Otter! I have a similar one and put it in my pocket after reading your post :)
IMG_20181025_132122.jpg

Your's has a great color! Does it come with time and use?

Mine just demanded to have it's own pocket sheath or holster. Needs some wax and then it's done.

ozGnhLX.jpg
Thanks! I have to admit de color is a bit darker / richer in the pic than in real life. It's hard to capture it accurately. Interesting point about the color changing with age and use. I hadn't considered it before, but it could have darkened a bit, I'm not sure. Here are some older pics:
3d5c76f7f76352c828d35fbfa1303433.jpg 62d6caa4e5d37842f9f8254b7335e069.jpg d1ec3c7139d2982dfb057202c05b5065.jpg

Back