1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Will Power, Mar 28, 2014.

1. BenjaminRush

BenjaminRush Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2015
    My wife and kids gave me my Father's Day gift early... wow! Feeling very blessed -- will be happy to carry this for years to come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pinemoon, jwb01, Will Power and 14 others like this.
  2. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Thanks. Since it's still in good shape I'll leave it alone but keep it isolated.

3. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    The mailman was especially nice to me today. I got my Bear and Sons barlow, and my Case tiny trapper, with persimmon bone scales.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pinemoon, jwb01, Fodderwing and 6 others like this.
  4. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Picked up a Lion Steel Best Man one bladed folder at Blade. I handled both the one and two bladed versions and preferred the thinner one-blade version. The two blade version is a bit chunky from my point of view.

JohnDF likes this.
  5. Astrogator

Astrogator

Mar 19, 2012
    These two found in a Junk shop.
    Any information on these will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Went to a new indoor flea market, slim pick'n on knives though. Did pick up a Imperial Frontier there though, still with factory edges. Then stopped by a army surplus place on the way home, and in a case full of new high zoot tactical fixed and folders was a box with mostly Pakistani and the bad Chinese stuff. But one thing in that box grabbed my eye immediately, a big brown delrin hawkbill. Opened it to reveal a completely unused Queen. If you look close you can see polishing compound in the lanyard hole. Some tiny pepper spots and a thumb print on the pile side leads me to believe its carbon steel.

jwb01, cjtamu, Will Power and 11 others like this.
  7. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I got the leather one today. I saw it once before and resisted it, but she came down $15 and smiled at me, what could I do?
    [​IMG]

Pinemoon, jwb01, Dschal and 10 others like this.
  8. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Good score, Jer, those 49ers are great knives!

9. JOELSM

JOELSM

Aug 30, 2007
    This 12 in stag showed up in the box today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It’s getting along well with the AGR stockman dressed in Stag.

[​IMG]

Pinemoon, jwb01, smudge58 and 10 others like this.
  10. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks, @black mamba .
    The new one has a mark on the butt-cap that I can't decipher. Maybe something and an anvil:
    [​IMG]
    The close-up makes me yearn for the gold nugget bubble gum they used to sell in little cloth bags.

Now I check the Bay. Oh, well.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    jwb01, Fodderwing, smudge58 and 2 others like this.
  11. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Jer, that stamp is for "benchmade" and is an older knife than the other one.

12. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks. That's nice to know.

13. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Jer, the symbol to the left of the anvil is a date code, but I have yet to find the key for deciphering it. The 49er series ran from 1973 to 1979, but not all the four different patterns were made the whole time. I believe the 498 patterns you show were the most common, and the only pattern to run the whole seven years consecutively.

scrteened porch likes this.
  14. smudge58

smudge58 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Dec 25, 2016
    An #85, factory second. 20190608_134032.jpg 20190608_134043.jpg

Pinemoon, jwb01, The Fort and 11 others like this.
  15. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    These are the only two 49ers I've seen in real life, which supports their being the most -made. I think it's Old Codger who has an old post about the 49ers. It looks like the date mark for 1973 was a flaming baseball, or perhaps a stylized forge fire-bowl. But he doesn't know the rest of them either. We know they did at least two years with a date stamp.
    THe flaw in that knife must be pretty subtle- looks good to me.

smudge58 likes this.
  16. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    The knives from my spring fling of knife-buying arrived at the end of last week. This is the only one I've photographed so far, mainly because it's so big (4 5/8" closed instead of 3 5/8" for a normal canoe, 0.65 lbs instead of 0.2 lbs), bad (spear/sheepsfoot/spey instead of spear/pen on normal canoe), and blingy (black lip pearl, filework on springs and blade spines, mirror polished everywhere) that I can't help but grin at its excess each time I see it. Rough Rider gunboat:
    pearl.mark.closed.bath.jpg pearl.pile.closed.bath.jpg
    pearl.mark.3open horiz.stand.jpg
    pearl.springs.filework.jpg
    pearl.spines.filework.jpg

- GT

Pinemoon, jwb01, Prester John and 9 others like this.
  17. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Just home from blade. Mike Z and Jim D.
    6706561D-3883-40E2-94D5-E523D3160742.jpeg

peanutsxx, Pinemoon, jwb01 and 19 others like this.
  18. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    You know, I think that old Queen Hawk might just about be pinch-able;):D

Excellent finds there :thumbsup::cool:

19. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    This little beauty showed up today. It started life as a Radio Jack, then had the cap lifter deleted (sacrilege to some of you, I'm sure) , and now it's my perfect #15. I always wanted a single blade #15 with end caps and a shield. I'd like to thank @jsdistin for thinking of me and giving me a killer deal on it. :cool: :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

20. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    :D yeah a EO notch not required, despite it being about a 7-8 pull. Just make sure you got all the fingers you got outta the way closing:eek:;)