Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

First new knife in 4 months.
JgygTjc.jpg

OLsp50l.jpg

Today’s mail brought this beauty to its new home! The Northfield 23L SFO in Mesquite from Mike at Collector Knives! I’m smiling from ear to ear! :D :thumbsup:

50177893286_a6210be2bc_o_d.jpg

50178147802_bde975a1f4_o_d.jpg

First new knife in 4 months.
JgygTjc.jpg

OLsp50l.jpg

Received this #23 in Mesquite on Saturday 8-1-2020 . I like it a lot .

Harry

I would have never expected mesquite to look so amazing. The stuff isn't much more a than a weed in the form of a tree here, one that can barely be trimmed, cut down, and chopped up fast enough for BBQs and firewood. I didn't realize it was so hard on the janka scale either. I have no interest in this pattern, so I hope that GEC uses it in some future patterns as well.

For about 18 months I was a hibernating knife nut while pursuing other interest. I missed the release of the "'Possum skinner". Last week I found one in slightly used condition posted for sale in the exchange. (Thank you KP!) It was shipped in a timely fashion and arrived earlier this week. After a bit of touch up work I put it in my pocket. It is a little larger than my typical "happy spot" of between 3.5" to 4" for a pocket carry but it feels smaller than it is in the pocket. I like the blade configuration. Many times I carry a stockman but never have a use for the spey blade. Probably, unlike most here I suppose, I have skinned a few 'Possums in my life. As a boy in my early teens I kept my dogs fed by selling the hides for between $1 and $2 each. Barbeque 'Possum actually tastes a lot like barbeque pork but it's been close to 50 years since I've had any. I spent quite a bit of time with my grandparents back then and they didn't waste anything! If I could choose I would reduce the size of the pattern to somewhere between 3 5/8" and 3 7/8" keeping the same blade configuration. I believe I will enjoy this one.
Have a great day everyone!

IMG_0594.JPG

I would have never expected mesquite to look so amazing. The stuff isn't much more a than a weed in the form of a tree here, one that can barely be trimmed, cut down, and chopped up fast enough for BBQs and firewood. I didn't realize it was so hard on the janka scale either... I hope that GEC uses it in some future patterns as well.

It's great. In person, it looks like a mix of Desert Ironwood, Mexican Bocote, and either highly figured Cocobolo or Walnut Burl. I would be fine if it replaced Cocobolo on a lot of runs, and I'm curious to see how it ages/darkens with use.

For about 18 months I was a hibernating knife nut while pursuing other interest. I missed the release of the "'Possum skinner". Last week I found one in slightly used condition posted for sale in the exchange. (Thank you KP!) It was shipped in a timely fashion and arrived earlier this week. After a bit of touch up work I put it in my pocket. It is a little larger than my typical "happy spot" of between 3.5" to 4" for a pocket carry but it feels smaller than it is in the pocket. I like the blade configuration. Many times I carry a stockman but never have a use for the spey blade. Probably, unlike most here I suppose, I have skinned a few 'Possums in my life. As a boy in my early teens I kept my dogs fed by selling the hides for between $1 and $2 each. Barbeque 'Possum actually tastes a lot like barbeque pork but it's been close to 50 years since I've had any. I spent quite a bit of time with my grandparents back then and they didn't waste anything! If I could choose I would reduce the size of the pattern to somewhere between 3 5/8" and 3 7/8" keeping the same blade configuration. I believe I will enjoy this one.
Have a great day everyone!

View attachment 1392217

Very satisfying find :thumbsup: I like that pattern a lot and the Dixie Stockman it's based on whose configuration of blades is more meaningful to me that conventional Spey bladed knives, I recommend one. But I strongly agree about size, although it carries light it would be markedly improved by being somewhat shorter in frame.

So it, Possum, tastes like Pork? not bad, but we don't have them here in Europe, nice memories too:thumbsup:

Just got this today from a nice gentleman on the Exchange, after not having purchased a knife at all this year I’ve now purchased two in just as many weeks. With the forum knife being a real possibility for this year as well I think I’m done for now, which makes this year’s theme Maniago slipjoints for me.

JB3UzSF.jpg

Back