Your Opinion of Sanrenmu Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does make you wonder why it only costs $10 when a Sebenza costs $330, the company could probably sell it for more.

It's selling for cheap because nobody is importing them here. (yet)
If a middleman was involved you'd be paying them more I'd bet.
It's also got very low labor costs involved and the 710 isn't made of the same materials even, blade steel and handle are much cheaper. It's not a Sebenza in much other than shape.

It's selling for cheap because nobody is importing them here. (yet)
If a middleman was involved you'd be paying them more I'd bet.
It's also got very low labor costs involved and the 710 isn't made of the same materials even, blade steel and handle are much cheaper. It's not a Sebenza in much other than shape.

I understand what you're saying, I know that the knives are completely different from the tolerances to the materials. I'm not saying that they're exactly the same knife, but they're not exactly dissimilar either. The SRM 710 is a nice knife, I'm sure that the Sebenza is an equally nice knife or better that can cut through ten times as many car doors as the 710 and still have no blade play.

So what is your issue with the 710 exactly? Because I have no issue with the Sebenza, and in fact, I already said that I want to buy one more because of the 710. This doesn't look like it's exactly bad for the non-middleman CRK company, either.

So what is your issue with the 710 exactly? Because I have no issue with the Sebenza, and in fact, I already said that I want to buy one more because of the 710. This doesn't look like it's exactly bad for the non-middleman CRK company, either.

Exactly :) I'm ordering a sebenza when my US visa comes through so its waiting for me stateside...but i'll still use the 710, I have no issues with mine.

I understand what you're saying, I know that the knives are completely different from the tolerances to the materials. I'm not saying that they're exactly the same knife, but they're not exactly dissimilar either. The SRM 710 is a nice knife, I'm sure that the Sebenza is an equally nice knife or better that can cut through ten times as many car doors as the 710 and still have no blade play.

I never said I have an "issue" with them. Just stating why it's so much cheaper, than a Sebenza.
My friend won one off eBay and it suits him for what he wants. I looked at it and yes it's a solid little knife that works well. I don't need one and won't be ordering one, but more power to him.

The reason I don't buy knives from China is because I'm willing to spend more than $10 on a knife. This is what separates knife people from Non Knife People. It is the willingness to pay top dollar for a high quality tool.

The reason I buy knives from China is that I like to buy quality when I see it, and when I can afford it. That is what you get with SRM knives.

Paying top dollar doesn't necessarily get you a high quality tool. In the case of CRK, top dollar gets you a boutique tool. Something beyond utility, less a tool and more a desirable object in its own right.

The reason I buy knives from China is that I like to buy quality when I see it, and when I can afford it. That is what you get with SRM knives.

Paying top dollar doesn't necessarily get you a high quality tool. In the case of CRK, top dollar gets you a boutique tool. Something beyond utility, less a tool and more a desirable object in its own right.

Very well said. Now the snobs are going to flame you, of course.

The reason I don't buy knives from China is because I'm willing to spend more than $10 on a knife. This is what separates knife people from Non Knife People. It is the willingness to pay top dollar for a high quality tool.

So, if some people spend $1k on a knife, and others only spend $400, are the $400 spenders Non Knife people?
Do the $1k spenders get to look down on the lowly $400 spender?
Is there a cutoff of sorts?
Or should we all just look down on folks that don't spend in a particular price range?
At some point on that knife ladder, everyone is under someone's ass.

Hell, I have my semi "Precious" knives, and only now have been looking on the cheaper side, and am kinda impressed. Still spend on known quality, hasn't changed my "get" list, just added to it actually.

people buy for different purposes

i don't buy an SRM 710 for collector's purposes

i buy an SRM 710 because it's a decent knife and i can beat the hell out of it without feeling bad since it's only 10 bucks

this is also why people go mudding in jeeps and not porsche cayenne turbos

It's not about the cost of the knife that upsets some people. It's the fact that they are copied close from popular name brand knives. They are viewed by them to be stealing the design. It's a move by the Chinese companies to gain from these name brands appeal for sure, without designing anything new and fresh and a lot of people take issue with that it seems.So, some people think it's fine this Chinese company is copying brand name looks and features, as long as they reap the benefits of decent service and bargain price. Others think it stinks. It's just the way it is and it's not going to change.

This is what separates knife people from Non Knife People. It is the willingness to pay top dollar for a high quality tool.

How many non-knife people know what a SanRenMu is? None that I know of, until I gave them one. :)

I will agree that non-knife people are not willing to pay top dollar for a knife though. Many here are willing to buy a higher end knife, but unable to justify the expense. However, give them enough time here and they will.

How many non-knife people know what a SanRenMu is? None that I know of, until I gave them one. :)

I will agree that non-knife people are not willing to pay top dollar for a knife though. Many here are willing to buy a higher end knife, but unable to justify the expense. However, give them enough time here and they will.

In your opinion, just what price point is a "higher end knife" supposed to go for, at a minimum?

I will never buy any of that Chinese junk.:thumbdn: Some people just don't know quality if it cut them.:rolleyes: If you think it's good enough more power to you.

I will never buy any of that Chinese junk.:thumbdn: Some people just don't know quality if it cut them.:rolleyes: If you think it's good enough more power to you.

Why do I have the feeling that you would be saying exactly the same thing, even if a Chinese knife were proven to be as good as, say, a Sebenza or a Busse? I'm not claiming that the Chinese knife is as good, only asking how you would feel then: would the proof make any difference to you?

There are some who really don't look at the quality, but only at the name on the blade. I suspect that those people miss out on a lot.

Funny thing is all these people saying they'd never buy this cheap Chinese crap and they are using computers and monitors to say it, that were made in China.

Funny thing is all these people saying they'd never buy this cheap Chinese crap and they are using computers and monitors to say it, that were made in China.

Exactly. I'm working on a Mac workstation. Mac was one of the last holdouts, but even those are made in China (Taiwan) nowadays.

In your opinion, just what price point is a "higher end knife" supposed to go for, at a minimum?

High end, in my opinion at this moment, would be around $100 or so and up. This dollar figure really doesn't mean much though. For some reason it keeps going up as I see more knives... If you asked me this question last year I would have told you about $30.

But, just to be clear, I was not saying that you need to buy expensive knives to be a so called "knife person." I think that anyone who reads these forums is already a "knife person." I was just saying that "knife people," in general, are more likely to be willing to buy more expensive knives.

I own benchmades, spydecos, a CRK Umnumzaan, Kershaw, ZT, and I still got some SRM knives. They fit a role, as knives you don't care about loosing, getting stolen, abusing, lending to a friend or just giving them to a friend. And I have to agree that SRM knives seem to be involved in other companys, Buck, Snap-On, Boker Magnum (Many ones exactly the same with different branding) and FOX for example. One other thing that I noticed is the similarity in construction to the spyderco bug series to the stainless keychain slip joints the SRM makes...

Why is it a big deal that China can make a decent blade? Our American companies have been taking their technology over there for years. Surely it's not so much of a shock when they can turn out a decent folding knife? What Japan did with improving quality, then Taiwan and now it's moved to China. The days of really cheap Chinese goods are numbered anyway. In time they will be charging more and more for their goods, just as Japan did and then Taiwan.

High end, in my opinion at this moment, would be around $100 or so and up. This dollar figure really doesn't mean much though. For some reason it keeps going up as I see more knives... If you asked me this question last year I would have told you about $30.

But, just to be clear, I was not saying that you need to buy expensive knives to be a so called "knife person." I think that anyone who reads these forums is already a "knife person." I was just saying that "knife people," in general, are more likely to be willing to buy more expensive knives.

Interesting points. That begs the question of just what is a knife person? I happen to have a few myself, and some cost more than others, but it isn't the price that makes me a knife person, it's the appreciation for knives themselves. I can appreciate a high quality inexpensive knife just as much as I appreciate a quality knife costing ten times as much. It's the knife itself that counts, not just the price or the name on the blade. Saying that only price or name denotes a knife person is, to me, simply snobbery.

See, I have a problem with this statement. It's a quality knife, if you open and close it, it feels solid - it's not titanium, and it's not S30V, but it's solid. It is good enough for me and I would say that I have a discerning eye for quality...

Have you ever had one? You'd be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back