Your Opinion of Sanrenmu Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying that only price or name denotes a knife person is, to me, simply snobbery.

Exactly! It is the interest in knives that makes a person a knife person. I hope thats how my post were coming across, but I am not a grate comuneecator at times.

Interesting points. That begs the question of just what is a knife person? I happen to have a few myself, and some cost more than others, but it isn't the price that makes me a knife person, it's the appreciation for knives themselves. I can appreciate a high quality inexpensive knife just as much as I appreciate a quality knife costing ten times as much. It's the knife itself that counts, not just the price or the name on the blade. Saying that only price or name denotes a knife person is, to me, simply snobbery.

To me a knife person is an individual who likes to own and collect knives. To me; the number of knifes, type or price of the knife(s) in their collection is not important.

What is important is the fact that this individual wants to spend the time to immerse themselves in the world of knive collecting makes him or her a knife person.

To me a knife person is an individual who likes to own and collect knives. To me; the number of knifes, type or price of the knife(s) in their collection is not important.

What is important is the fact that this individual wants to spend the time to immerse themselves in the world of knive collecting makes him or her a knife person.

Good point Ronindan.

I like all my knives, each one has a little something that I like.
I have some old crappy knives that I keep, they got that something going on.
Ex: An old rusty shaving razor, in the pitted steel, you can just make out Faust artfully scrawled, naming and personalizing the blade.
Cost ... $0. Brand, unknown. Worth, probably nothing. Firefighter friend found it in an abandoned wreck, knew I liked anything with Faust on it.

On these Chinese knives, I like that you can get a decent quality blade without an arm and leg price tag, and enjoy the fact I won't cry if I break it or loose it and that this will probably last a short time.

So smoke em while you can get em!

Funny thing is all these people saying they'd never buy this cheap Chinese crap and they are using computers and monitors to say it, that were made in China.

With those items I really don't have a choice. With knives I do. Like I said, if the quality is up to a persons personal standards then more power to them. I don't need to buy a bunch of crap just so I can say I have "X" amount of knives. A shiny new Chinese wrench might look good also but it will end up busting your knuckles soon enough.:cool:

Indeed, I have quite a number of good quality production knives, and even a few customs. Yet I find it just as fun to try out a cheap Opinel, Douk-Douk, Mora, Rough Rider or now those Sanrenmus which I have on order.
I can appreciate well designed cheap knives. I didn't try the Sanrenmus yet but the others I quote are cheap and cheerful, not cheap and nasty, definitely not crap.

With those items I really don't have a choice. With knives I do. Like I said, if the quality is up to a persons personal standards then more power to them. I don't need to buy a bunch of crap just so I can say I have "X" amount of knives. A shiny new Chinese wrench might look good also but it will end up busting your knuckles soon enough.:cool:

So you are saying in effect the Chinese can make great computers and monitors, plus everything else electronic. But there's no way they have even turned out one decent, serviceable production model folding knife, ever? (that won't bust your knuckles:))

So you are saying in effect the Chinese can make great computers and monitors, plus everything else electronic. But there's no way they have even turned out one decent, serviceable production model folding knife, ever? (that won't bust your knuckles:))

How many computers and moniters can you get for, say, $100? If you can find one it will be crap. Same with their low priced junk tools. I bet there are some good knife makers in China but you won't be getting their knives for $10.:cool: The mass produced stuff will be mostly lousy junk.

How many computers and moniters can you get for, say, $100? If you can find one it will be crap. Same with their low priced junk tools. I bet there are some good knife makers in China but you won't be getting their knives for $10.:cool: The mass produced stuff will be mostly lousy junk.

The one I handled and used seemed like a decent little well made folder. Maybe they are cheaper than they would be here because when you order them direct, you cut out the importers profit. By the time you added that you know these knives wouldn't be going for 10 bucks.
My friend won this one off eBay and I used it, I've handled a lot of knives and it works well and takes a nice edge. I hit it on the fine sticks and it push cut newsprint with no effort. I don't need a knife like it so I'm not buying one but it is a nice little folder.
2q9w5qb.jpg

It's called (perhaps) "Buying into the market." Good quality, super low price, heavily subsidized...just to pry their name into the world market. If so, expect the prices to go up after they've been around awhile. Just a thought...

It's not about the cost of the knife that upsets some people. It's the fact that they are copied close from popular name brand knives. They are viewed by them to be stealing the design. It's a move by the Chinese companies to gain from these name brands appeal for sure, without designing anything new and fresh and a lot of people take issue with that it seems.So, some people think it's fine this Chinese company is copying brand name looks and features, as long as they reap the benefits of decent service and bargain price. Others think it stinks. It's just the way it is and it's not going to change.

right but what you need to realize is that they aren't competing against sebenzas

so it's not as big of a deal that the physical construction is the same, because they aren't going for the same market

if someone is considering a sebenza or strider, they're not going to be satisfied with a $10 SanRenMu 710 in the first place.

likewise, if someone doesn't know the difference between a sebenza and SRM 710, they probably won't drop $300 on a sebenza anyways.

it's interesting because everyone here is all up in arms as if they violated some "design patent". guess what, IKEA does this with absolutely everything. it has taken mid-century modern design and bastardized it into cheap ass cardboard laminated furniture. for example, i have eames plywood lounge chairs in my living room. they are incredibly comfortable and about $500 each. sometimes people who don't know anything about interior design come in and assume everything's from ikea. those are also people who would never spend $500 on a chair.

like i said, not the same market, so who cares.

Well alright, my Case sodbuster jr. cost more than $10. Now I am a knife person.

Congrats! You are a person of taste and discernment. You've also taken the first step down the slippery slope of high quality low dollar knives. I have maybe a dozen sodbusters of various makes and if SRM offers one, I'll get that, too.

right but what you need to realize is that they aren't competing against sebenzas

so it's not as big of a deal that the physical construction is the same, because they aren't going for the same market

if someone is considering a sebenza or strider, they're not going to be satisfied with a $10 SanRenMu 710 in the first place.

No I don't need to realize that, because I do already and what you quoted me on didn't say I felt anyway at all about either side of this issue. I was merely stating my belief, as to why some people are upset. Just I've I've said I looked at a 710 and it was a decent knife, IMO. I'm stating another one of my opinions about the reason some here are upset with the Chinese companies practice of close design copy.

The 710 is a decent little knife, with well executed lockup, the lock bar is fitted very tight and the blade tang angled like any decent liner/frame locker is. I thought it felt very strong for such a small knife and I would think it would being all solid steel handled. It felt to me like it would take a good bit of punishment and keep going. I cut green branches with it, sharpened a few pencils and opened some mailed boxes. After it was still pretty darn sharp, but I used fine sticks to bring it up to a super sharp edge, then it cut newsprint with a push only very impressively, IMO.
So, that's what I found looking at my friends little knife from Hong Kong. No it's too small with a blade of about 2 and 5/8" for my taste. So, I don't see it for me anyway.No matter where it's from or what it looks like.

Lady and Gentlemen, strip away the 'made in' part of the equation and evaluate the knife from a quality/performance point of view. If you are unable to do this, then look up the term xenophobia.

To answer the OP, my opinion on SRM knives is I'm sure similar to that of anyone who's handled one: surprisingly well-made and an amazing value.

It was I admit a little disquieting to find out that good knives can be made so cheap. These knives must just cost pennies to make to reach the consumers at ten bucks a pop. It makes me wonder whether I've been overpaying for knives all these years and I'm sort of worried that if knives like SRM reach America full scale, the prices of American-made knives can't help but drop. There goes the value of my collection.

I'm not surprised why some people feel threatened. They should rightly be. But that's just better for the consumer like me. Competition will have to pay them some attention now. I'd hate to see an America where in order to sell anything made in the U.S.A. you'd have to wrap it up in the American flag rather than sell something on its own quality.

People used to dismiss Japanese motorcycles. Look where they are now. The only way American motorcycles company can compete is to artificially create a romantic market for themselves to sell bikes that can't compete technologically. Which I think is kind of sad, because it can't sustain in the long run.

Oops. A bit longer than I wanted.

Peace.

Jack

i would equate SRM to a Timex.
because of it's low pricing and great cosmetics, it makes a dependable throwaway knife, never mind that it lacks status (for now at least)...

About "overpaying": we have been overpaying, capital O. About 2X actual value for most knives excepting a few series here and there I'd say although this trend is breaking down nowadays.

I caught a famous production knife maker doing it red-handed and have little sympathy for most of the major brands now.

i would equate SRM to a Timex.
because of it's low pricing and great cosmetics, it makes a dependable throwaway knife, never mind that it lacks status (for now at least)...

I have my share of "status" knives: Zero Tolerance 0300 and 0400, Benchmades: 755, 910, 930, an Emerson Commander, a Lone Wolf Paul Defender, and some others that folks here would not consider "status" knives, but that others when they see them sure think they are.

That said, my nifty SRM 710 (whose blade length is not 2 5/8" but 2 3/4" on my rendition) is every bit a good knife, and in no way one to be "thrown away." I have one or another that are in the toss 'em category, but this knife isn't one of them.

Give the SRM folks time, and this knife will likely go up in price in the US. Why? Because the quality is there. And good quality won't get pitched in the trash, not in my house anyway.

About "overpaying": we have been overpaying, capital O. About 2X actual value for most knives excepting a few series here and there I'd say although this trend is breaking down nowadays.

I caught a famous production knife maker doing it red-handed and have little sympathy for most of the major brands now.

A fair idea of the true value of a knife is what it commands/will fetch on the used knife market. Used doesn't mean it was actually used, just sold as not new. NIB is fine. That one will show the true value, often, of a particular knife.

JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back