Your Opinion of Sanrenmu Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own an SRM 710. Nice knife for the price. The thing that I am finding more and more interesting is the amount of discussion these things seem to produce.

I own an SRM 710. Nice knife for the price. The thing that I am finding more and more interesting is the amount of discussion these things seem to produce.

You're right, they do seem to generate a lot of discussion. Not nearly as much though, as I think they will in the near future.

Their time has come, I think.

Nothing against any manufacturers in the States, I buy a lot of knives and misc. made in the States, but it is what it is.
Car and appliance parts made overseas, assembled overseas, clothing the works, whatever.

With these knives, they seem OK and I see no problem getting more nor do I see the big whoop over it.
The more I handle my Bee knife or the 710, the more I think I got a bang for the buck, and that's extremely important these days. I see another order on the way and $40 will get me 4-5 usable knives, so they won't go in the cases, big deal.

I doubt they will ever fill the void in my collecting heart, but I do know they will end up as EDC and not worry about it knife category, which is part of the whole deal.

I do know this.
One window on the screen has 4 China knives that will make me happy.
The other has a rc-6 that will make me happy.

Overall, a great thread that turned many heads and made some folks think.

Its hard fighting the urge to buy a few.. the only thing stopping me is the Chinese steel.

I wouldn't let the Chinese steel stop you. I've used that steel in a Kershaw, and was pleasantly surprised. It's easy to sharpen, and takes a scary sharp edge. It doesn't hold it as long as some other steels, but it holds it well enough.

No, it's not a whiz-bang super steel but, c'mon, we're talking about a $10 knife here. It apparently has very good fit, finish and materials, just not a super-steel blade. I can live with that.:D

Nothing against any manufacturers in the States, I buy a lot of knives and misc. made in the States, but it is what it is.
Car and appliance parts made overseas, assembled overseas, clothing the works, whatever.

With these knives, they seem OK and I see no problem getting more nor do I see the big whoop over it.
The more I handle my Bee knife or the 710, the more I think I got a bang for the buck, and that's extremely important these days. I see another order on the way and $40 will get me 4-5 usable knives, so they won't go in the cases, big deal.

I doubt they will ever fill the void in my collecting heart, but I do know they will end up as EDC and not worry about it knife category, which is part of the whole deal.

I do know this.
One window on the screen has 4 China knives that will make me happy.
The other has a rc-6 that will make me happy.

Overall, a great thread that turned many heads and made some folks think.

Hey, it could be a new form of collecting: getting the mostest for the leastest.

Yeah, I think this thread just might have made a few people think, and that's always a good thing.:D

Hey, it could be a new form of collecting: getting the mostest for the leastest.

I collected like that for about the first six months of this year. I bought well over a hundred various knives. Then, I realized I had enough knives to last several lifetimes and sold most of the ones that I never used. I did keep plenty of SRMs and Rough Riders though!

Now, my last three knives have been Kershaws. JYD CB, Leek CB, and a ZT 0350CB. My next purchase will be the ZT 0551, hopefully later this month. Outstanding knives, well worth the money!

This knife called the 962 that I have is not just an axis lock but from all practical angles its apparently an exacting copy down to the last detail! I did not expect this at all. To be honest what I expected was to see something like the SOG Arc lock or the old Cold Steel clone that was close obviously but not exact you know? But this is more than that. This is an axis lock and I can't help but wonder if parts would not interchange on some models. Anyway, I don't know. Thats the best I can say on it. I don't know.

I think Dagon captured my thoughts pretty well here with this one short statement though. "No, I don't think that SRM has copied an entry level Fox knife, (I'll add Buck knife) the above scenario is much more realistic!"

At best it warrants a very loud "Hmmmmmm?"

STR

A good question. If SRM made some of the Benchmade 'Red' class in the past, perhaps they came to an arrangement. I just don't know. :confused:

Maybe we'll find out some day. If they don't have permission it'll be more than "hmmmm" Steve. :D

Has Sal seen the hole yet? I'd like to hear if they have any dealings with Sanrenmu.

I collected like that for about the first six months of this year. I bought well over a hundred various knives. Then, I realized I had enough knives to last several lifetimes and sold most of the ones that I never used. I did keep plenty of SRMs and Rough Riders though!

Now, my last three knives have been Kershaws. JYD CB, Leek CB, and a ZT 0350CB. My next purchase will be the ZT 0551, hopefully later this month. Outstanding knives, well worth the money!

I'm having fun with the Sanrenmu thing right now, but a couple of those Rough Riders are catching my eye, too, as well as a Barlow from Utica.

So little money. Sigh . . .

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Maybe we'll find out some day. If they don't have permission it'll be more than "hmmm" Steve. :D

Has Sal seen the hole yet? I'd like to hear if they have any dealings with Sanrenmu.

I don't know about BM, but yes Sal has seen knives coming from China (I had one sent to Spyderco from Australia even, on Spyderco's request) with the Spyderco trademark on the blade and the hole. Seems to be nearly impossible to stop infringements coming out of China.
The only good news on that is these knives aren't being distributed in the USA, yet. The ones I've seen all came from China direct to the purchaser.
They aren't even marked with a country of origin. Which is the law for items brought into the USA for resell.

Dagon, your 905 is sexy. It just hits the nail on the head for everything I like save the lock. Wooden handle, clean lines, thin flat-ground blade...

I live in Australia , and I can tell you I have certainly seen fake spyderco & Benchmade knives for sale in some stores. There are some dodgy reps going round flogging this stuff (probly the same ones flogging the srm knives to be sold at $30AU ), the guys in the store dont even know the difference. One of the spyderco fakes didn't even have the spyderhole.
I was like thats fake thats fake and thats fake. Another store , I was looking at a 'benchmade' that felt cheap , i asked if it was real they said they didnt know (they wouldve) FAKE! & not inexpensive either.

My rule is that the only things I buy from China are:
1) Lasers from reputable dealers(CNI, Novalasers).
2) Swords from reputable dealers(Cheness, Hanwei, Dynasty Forge).

The reason I don't buy knives from China is because I'm willing to spend more than $10 on a knife. This is what separates knife people from Non Knife People. It is the willingness to pay top dollar for a high quality tool.

The exception being those "other" psychos with 20+ Mora/SAK knives:thumbup:.

The reason I don't buy knives from China is because I'm willing to spend more than $10 on a knife. This is what separates knife people from Non Knife People.

What a load...I've seen some of the people on this forum buying SRM knives along side customs and top shelf productions, so trying to say those who buy them are not knife people is just being an elitist snob, and there is enough of that in the knife game as it is without intentionally creating more! I have SRM and rough rider knives, I also have benchmade, spyderco, queen cutlery, old schrade, various german blades etc. So your logic fails.

IMO the mods need to step in and get some people to move on past the same rubbish that has been posted in EVERY thread about these knives...some of us want them and we will discuss them on what is still a knife forum of all kinds, some don't and we all know your reasons so it's about time those people got over it.

The reason I don't buy knives from China is because I'm willing to spend more than $10 on a knife. This is what separates knife people from Non Knife People. It is the willingness to pay top dollar for a high quality tool.

What separates us from people that aren't into knives, is we are willing to not only pay more, but we also buy more than we really need. Most people don't care about a knife other than it works and they sure don't buy multiple knives and even worry about the details like we do. A blade that is decent and works is all they care about.

My rule is that the only things I buy from China are:
1) Lasers from reputable dealers(CNI, Novalasers).
2) Swords from reputable dealers(Cheness, Hanwei, Dynasty Forge).

And you are saying you will buy decent goods from China when it suits you.
Just not a pocket knife. Very consistent thinking, there.

I have one, it was given to me, and I think it's a really nice knife for $10. Does it have it's flaws? Yes. Does it make me not want to buy a CRK Sebenza? No, if anything I want to buy a CRK moreso because it has to be a nicer knife than this already good knife.

It does make you wonder why it only costs $10 when a Sebenza costs $330, the company could probably sell it for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back