Your opinion on Emerson knives?

Wow, so much scorn heaped on EKI...

Get what you like OP--Emerson or not, and don't look back. I've got another Emerson inbound today... it will displace my Super 7 as my edc. And despite it being ground on the wrong side with an unreliable lock, etc... that super 7 managed to shave sticks for fires, cut fruit and meats, carve up boxes and all sorts of stuff, poke holes in metal/ aluminum potters for extra drainage, cut thick plastic zip ties, and a whole load of other tasks without self-destructing... I know, amazing. And when it was all done the knife was still very sharp after every task. A few quick passes on a Spyderco ceramic stone and the thing shaved again.

I found what I like and what works for me--I hope you do too.

They're my go-to brand of real-world, daily EDC user knives. Higher grade, but you're not dropping the coin like you would on a Strider, Hinderer, or CRK.

From a real-world functional standpoint, they hit the important marks...good ergos, good grippy handle scales, good blade steel, and easy to maintain (no exotic fasteners/torx etc.). The liner lock, IMHO, seems to be a little less prone to disengagement than some weaker frame locks that are engaging by just a sliver (10%). In the ~15 years of caring Emerson's can't say I ever recall a positively engaged liner lock failing in proper usage. I carried one particular Emerson for about a decade, did everything I wanted, and could (and sometimes does), be called back up to EDC duty any time needed.

So that's my real-world, hands-on opinion.

BOSS

I don't think its scorn. Honestly.

Here's how these threads go:

Guy #1: "Emerson knives are nice enough. But fit, finish, and materials could be better for the price. They were innovative and well-built for their time, but haven't really kept up with modern developments.

Guy #2: "Emerson knives are the best ... at what they're designed for."

That last part is always italicized. And they never specify what exactly it is they're designed for. But the implication seems to be that if you were a true "operator" or SEAL Team 6 ninja ... you'd understand (wink wink, nudge nudge).

Last edited:
"Designed" as military/combat knives.
Knives get a bad rap. Somethings are best left unsaid.
rolf

Guy #1: "Emerson knives are nice enough. But fit, finish, and materials could be better for the price. They were innovative and well-built for their time, but haven't really kept up with modern developments.

That last part is always italicized. And they never specify what exactly it is they're designed for. But the implication seems to be that if you were a true "operator" or SEAL Team 6 ninja ... you'd understand (wink wink, nudge nudge).

Poppycock.

Sometimes forum members highlight 'for their intended use,' so not 'always italicized,' LOL.

From another thread:
Emersons are excellent for their intended use.

I believe you might have a vivid imagination and are overthinking the posts of forum members

Emersons are simple tools meant to be used and used hard.

Most Emersons have excellent ergonomics to make sure the user have a secure/comfortable grip to achieve the above.

They stock knives are simple rugged knives without the flash of knives so often being manufactured by some other knife companies these days.

The much maligned steel is of a type meant to be easily sharpened by the owner (I better not call the knife user an 'operator' lest you put something into that) in the field, so thats why its not one of your super hard wonder steels.

An Emerson holds an adequate edge for an adequate time and is easy to sharpen, as was intended.

The above goes a long way yo make sure, that Emersons can serve their intended use - to be used with a minimum of fuzz.

They do that well.

Im no 'operator' nor a SEAL.

I did go to war and brought the fixed knife issued to me.

How ever knives are not very important in war. If you have to resort to a folding knife in a war, somebody messed up.

I understand that on a knife forum, the subject pops up but the fascination in regards to to the knives of operators or The Teams are most often in the heads of couch ninjas or those with overly active, maybe even vivid, imaginations.

Surprisingly most grunts rely on their M4s etc.

As for me, I just like a simple rugged knife, which will do its job be it in the woods, at home or when hunting. A simple knife like an Emerson.

I'd venture to say a good chunk of knives are meant to be used lol that would make their intended purpose to be used... just like an emerson.

No one says you can't use an Emerson, most people who've spoken out with criticism have valid points. It really boils down to "I like them and don't care" which is perfectly acceptable. Doesn't nullify the points others make though.

I find it funny that no frills is the calling card of Emerson but he put the chisel grind on the side that photographed best. And justified it with *seals don't care* or something to that effect.

I agree with the other poster that people use the term "intended use" like it's special...

I don't see how how their intended to be used hard makes them more hard use than their zt counterparts. At least a frame lock is supported by the hand during hard use.

Poppycock.

Sometimes forum members highlight 'for their intended use,' so not 'always italicized,' LOL.

From another thread:

I believe you might have a vivid imagination and are overthinking the posts of forum members

Emersons are simple tools meant to be used and used hard.

Most Emersons have excellent ergonomics to make sure the user have a secure/comfortable grip to achieve the above.

They stock knives are simple rugged knives without the flash of knives so often being manufactured by some other knife companies these days.

The much maligned steel is of a type meant to be easily sharpened by the owner (I better not call the knife user an 'operator' lest you put something into that) in the field, so thats why its not one of your super hard wonder steels.

An Emerson holds an adequate edge for an adequate time and is easy to sharpen, as was intended.

The above goes a long way yo make sure, that Emersons can serve their intended use - to be used with a minimum of fuzz.

They do that well.

Im no 'operator' nor a SEAL.

I did go to war and brought the fixed knife issued to me.

How ever knives are not very important in war. If you have to resort to a folding knife in a war, somebody messed up.

I understand that on a knife forum, the subject pops up but the fascination in regards to to the knives of operators or The Teams are most often in the heads of couch ninjas or those with overly active, maybe even vivid, imaginations.

Surprisingly most grunts rely on their M4s etc.

As for me, I just like a simple rugged knife, which will do its job be it in the woods, at home or when hunting. A simple knife like an Emerson.

I guess the answer is "to actually be used, and not sit in a knife collection".

I have ZTs and Emersons. Are ZT knives more "polished" and "refined"? Yes.

Does it make any bit of a damn difference in how the knives work? No.

For people looking to collect art knives or whatever I guess a scale being 1mm proud of a liner is a big deal. This is not the crowd that Emerson caters to. It isn't a mall ninja thing, though I imagine some of them are drawn to Emerson knives.

I know there are offerings from other makers now that are perceived as much better (frame lock, newer whiz-bang blade steels) for the money and hell, I wouldn't disagree with them. I'm sure running a business in LA is expensive. However, (and I'm not alone in this) they offer plenty of knives that from a blade design and handle ergonomic standpoint I'm more than willing to fork over a few hundred for them.

Vinninul tests all the folders the same, his highest ranking folder was a 0550. The next stage of the argument is "well it's meant to cut" yea so is the 0550 and it is way tougher of a knife. Selling your knife as #1 harduse knife and then when it falls short AND costs more claim hard use cutting only.

I'd venture to say a good chunk of knives are meant to be used lol that would make their intended purpose to be used... just like an emerson.

No one says you can't use an Emerson, most people who've spoken out with criticism have valid points. It really boils down to "I like them and don't care" which is perfectly acceptable. Doesn't nullify the points others make though.

I find it funny that no frills is the calling card of Emerson but he put the chisel grind on the side that photographed best. And justified it with *seals don't care* or something to that effect.

I agree with the other poster that people use the term "intended use" like it's special...

I don't see how how their intended to be used hard makes them more hard use than their zt counterparts. At least a frame lock is supported by the hand during hard use.

I didnt compare ZT to Emerson.

Pay attention.

I prefer the G-10 on both sides of the handle and I prefer Emerson's knives over ZT. I haven't had an Emerson fail. The Ti liner sticks very well. ZT makes frame locks, not linerlock. Either way, Emerson is collecting money when you buy a ZT or an Emerson. I don't think he cares which one you buy.

Funny you didn't address the chisel grind being on the side that photographed best rather than on the side the majority of users would find more helpful. Considering the point of a chisel is to plane material off.

Nothing on any of my other points either? Got it. Take it easy, you seem rather defensive today, we have been on the same side during many of topics and differ on this one. No need to take it to a rude level.
See, thats not how it works, when you quote someone and address their post.

Maybe read post #108 again slowly or something.

A military combat folder huh? With a liner lock? Fixed blades are preferred in "combat" and a sidearm over a fixed blade and a rifle over a sidearm. Liner lock combat folder is pretty low on the totem pole and seems more like marketing than truth. BUT maybe the truth is better left unsaid.:thumbup:
Get what you like OP--Emerson or not, and don't look back. QUOTE]

^ :thumbup:

^ :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hey Shiny--that was me quoted, so I'll just say that I don't use my Emersons in combat, except fighting off suburban boredom. I do carry my Emerson when I hike or camp, but that's all about utility--and the wave makes sense for me in that capacity. That said, my main blade when in the bush is a fixed blade--they are easier to keep clean, tougher, and just more handy.

That said, my cqc-13 is a helluva slicer and very comfortable... and I don't think about which side is sharpened, I just use it and it all works out just fine.

Fair enough, carry what you like. I hate when things drift off into borderline rudeness. For that apologies to all.

Glad it works for you man, I mean that. I like to share opinions and debate without the animosity. We all won't like the same stuff, attack each others points not each other.
Hey Shiny--that was me quoted, so I'll just say that I don't use my Emersons in combat, except fighting off suburban boredom. I do carry my Emerson when I hike or camp, but that's all about utility--and the wave makes sense for me in that capacity. That said, my main blade when in the bush is a fixed blade--they are easier to keep clean, tougher, and just more handy.

That said, my cqc-13 is a helluva slicer and very comfortable... and I don't think about which side is sharpened, I just use it and it all works out just fine.

Back