Your opinion on Emerson knives?

Well I'm the person to start this thread. I've decided to go ahead and purchase a Emerson. If I don't like it it Blade HQ has a 30 day return period. Thanks for all the advice and opinions. I got much more emotional responses than I thought!
Keep on cutting!

Cool man, good move. Let us know what you think. :thumbup:

BTW, which one did you go with?

That's a load of bunk. I don't even know where to start. Almost everything in that post is bunk.

Emerson's are great at being knives that get used.

So is every knife that gets used. That's a lot, from $5 pieces of crap to thousands of dollars of worth of knife.

Emerson's are terrible at being knives that sit in an a safe.

They can sit in a safe like any other knife.

They are 100% made in America which brings a higher price than something made in China.

Plenty of knives made in America cost in the same price range if not less and function great. Ever handled a Kershaw Blur?

If someone wants to put a $100 clip on their knife then more power to them.

Yep.

The chisel grind is great for cutting and only having to sharpen one side? Too easy.

Not really. Not in any respect unless you're talking about thin kitchen knives. They're actually not any better or worse cutters than a lot of other grinds for their intended use. Chisel grinds are pretty bad when left thick and are much harder to sharpen compared to other grinds considering how much steel needs to be removed. And all of that black coating on all those blades? Gone. That is, if you use it enough to need to sharpen it. Chisel grinds are great for chisels. I'll grant you that. You want a folding chisel? I don't, I want a folding knife.

The wave feature is probably one of the top design features to come out in the past 50 years.

Maybe not one of the best, but it is definitely a feature to come out in the last 50 years. I tend to think locks, pocket clips, one handed opening, CNC machining, washer pivots, good stainless steel, and multitools in general are pretty up there as far as cutting tools are concerned.

When used correctly, a waved knife is the fastest deploying folder available.

Possible. Depends on the person and what they're used to and what they're wearing.

Lots of people don't like Emersons.

A lot.

To each their own.

True.

Lots of people don't like 1911s, Coke, Fords, Baseball, or Blonds either.

Yeah, but emerson knives aren't on the same level as any of those things at all. Some people don't like emersons, therefore they hate sex and having millions of dollars and private islands and Sweden. Ridiculous comparison dude.

Totally.

Emerson?....Nah, might as well buy a Kershaw or Spyderco. At least the Kershaw or Spyderco wont be ground on the wrong side of the blade for a right hand user.:confused: And "wave" feature...enough already, buy a Ontario RAT 1 and save yourself $200+:rolleyes:

Last edited:
.... Lots of people don't like 1911s, Coke, Fords, Baseball, or Blonds either.

I really like 1911's, Coke, Fords, and Blonds (especially blonds). Baseball is just OK. Four out of five is good.:D

However, I love the grip of the CQC7. When is Emerson going to allow that to be made by Kershaw or someone else?

Don't like them.
Don't like their price point
Don't like their blade grind
Don't like their "tactical" style
Don't like their choice in blade shape
Like Hinderer, most collabs they do will result in a better knife at a cheaper price point.

I am up to seven or eight Emersons at this point, and I love them all. I don't see myself as any sort of tacticool operator*, I just like how they work. They fit my hand perfectly, they're simple to sharpen, and hold an edge well enough. I have plenty of knives with stronger locks and supersteels for those days when I feel the need for those things. On days when I feel the need for a knife with absolutely perfect ergos? I grab an Emerson from the safe. I admit, I am glad to have the ability to be able to like what I like without needing validation from others on my personal preferences or choices. OP, I'm glad to hear that you sidestepped the strong negative opinions in here and decided to try one out. They aren't the best knives out there by a long shot. But what they are good at, they're great at.

I hope you like it! If you end up not liking it, that's ok too. :thumbup:

*I'm not cool enough to be a super spec-ops SWAT/SEAL black ops commando operator and I've never had thousands of people "in my sites". Ah well.

Well I'm the person to start this thread. I've decided to go ahead and purchase a Emerson. If I don't like it it Blade HQ has a 30 day return period. Thanks for all the advice and opinions. I got much more emotional responses than I thought!
Keep on cutting!

Please don't take this wrong, BUT let me get this straight. You are going to purchase a brand new knife, with the intent to take it for a test drive, and if you don't like it, return it?
Really?
If that is your mind set, do everyone a favor and look to buy second hand.
Returning a knife without a defect is wrong on so many levels.
JMO
Joe

Please don't take this wrong, BUT let me get this straight. You are going to purchase a brand new knife, with the intent to take it for a test drive, and if you don't like it, return it?
Really?
JMO
Joe

That's going to be between him and Blade HQ.

I think it'll be a keeper anyway. If you don't like the asymmetrical secondary edge you can always sharpen it however you like.

Different strokes for different folks, as always. @OP: They're not for me, but I hope you love your Emerson.

I admit, I am glad to have the ability to be able to like what I like without needing validation from others on my personal preferences or choices.

Is there a merit badge for that amazing feat of courage? ;)

Really?
JMO
Joe

I didn't expect a place to allow a return after that long of time period "just because". So the next person buying that new Emerson gets one that's been carried/used for a month?

Different strokes for different folks, as always. @OP: They're not for me, but I hope you love your Emerson.

Is there a merit badge for that amazing feat of courage? ;)

Not at all. I just like to keep things in perspective. :)

I didn't expect a place to allow a return after that long of time period "just because". So the next person buying that new Emerson gets one that's been carried/used for a month?
Great point Trev. What does Blade HQ do with that knife if returned?? Back on the shelf??
👎🏼👎🏼

I think it'll be a keeper anyway. If you don't like the asymmetrical secondary edge you can always sharpen it however you like.

Unless something has changed, this voids the warranty, doesn't it?

I am up to seven or eight Emersons at this point, and I love them all. I don't see myself as any sort of tacticool operator*, I just like how they work. They fit my hand perfectly, they're simple to sharpen, and hold an edge well enough. I have plenty of knives with stronger locks and supersteels for those days when I feel the need for those things. On days when I feel the need for a knife with absolutely perfect ergos? I grab an Emerson from the safe. I admit, I am glad to have the ability to be able to like what I like without needing validation from others on my personal preferences or choices. OP, I'm glad to hear that you sidestepped the strong negative opinions in here and decided to try one out. They aren't the best knives out there by a long shot. But what they are good at, they're great at.

I hope you like it! If you end up not liking it, that's ok too. :thumbup:

*I'm not cool enough to be a super spec-ops SWAT/SEAL black ops commando operator and I've never had thousands of people "in my sites". Ah well.

Nice try

I think their fit and finish is subpar, I think for their intended use their thin liner lock is supbar, I think the quality of their knives are subpar also... lol. Frankly, I wouldn't spend that type of money on them. You can get a ZT emerson collaboration, with much better steel, better QC, stronger lock and every fit and finish for a cheaper price. Emersons are just stuck in the past, and they are allowed to because they have the patent for the wave feature.

It must be tough to keep up with knife trends.
Tougher yet if one is in the profession of making or manufacturing knives.
Emerson knives, like strider came from a time past
When knifedom clamoured for knives that doubled as
Super tough prybars cum makeshift vehicle extrication tools.
Japanese inspired, raw and unfinished surfaces rocked the traditional ideas
About knife appearance and apparent fad for hardcore "tactical" usage.
It's no wonder Emerson knives has stood the test of time.
Despite the all the changes and challenges of the knife market.
It's nothing short of a miracle that it has evolved into
A force to be reckoned with
Having achieved recognition
Through its signature product styling and robustness.
It's strength and identity
is what which propelled the growth of
It's own niche market.
It would be hard for an impressionable tactical knife aficionado
not to clamour for at least a single piece of the legendary Emerson
To the stable...
Seeing that one's descend into the darkness of knifedom
would be rather sadly incomplete without
Anything from this bada$$ trophy brand.

Unless something has changed, this voids the warranty, doesn't it?

From what I understand, no.

I believe there was a misunderstanding where people had asked about knives where the PRIMARY grind (Karambit, CQC-7) was chisel and many thought it applied to the actual asymmetrical working edge on all Emersons. Best to call and ask first though if you are unsure.

Back