ZT 0888 at last!

I'm not sure this is the right place to say this but I might be able to get my hands on 1 or maybe 2 of these. They will be expensive (maybe $525) it depends on what I can talk him down to. Would anyone be interested in one if I could? I personally don't want one but if I can help put one into a fellow knife nuts hands then I will and feel good about it.

Roland, if you can get your hands on one for that price, I would love to have one. Tried to send an email or PM but, I'm not seeing a link for either?

I cant see why they wouldnt offer a production version of this & the other limited ones,with all the research ,design, & trouble just to make a few hundred doesnt really seem to make alot of sense, & its the secondary market that seems to make more money than the manufacturer.

They kind of did just that with the 0777 and the 0770...The 0770 is far cry from the 0777 but it has a much nicer price tag as well.

I think the 888 is a space ship, real real cool,but the prices on this knife & the 777 are just out of control,they just arent worth it to me,& i know ill never carry them, knowing their rarity;id love to have one,but id rather buy a rifle or pistol for this kind of money..

It looks like a pretty knife. I like the design, but it looks like it might fly away.

I could, I just would like to have one more to collect. But I guess I can't complain, I was lucky enough to get one.

Unless you plan on re-selling it, just use it. If your personal satisfaction of having it in your collection depends on it being a mint example, enjoy...if not, go for it.

Sorry, I don't believe in safe queens and I push my beliefs on others :p

He's just jealous you have one and he doesn't.

What I don't get is that BM makes 200 to 300 LE's all the time and nobody complains(whines).

Benchmade and Spyderco limited edition/sprint runs are based on existing platforms using different materials. ZT is really the only company out there that makes true limited edition unique designs.

I cant see why they wouldnt offer a production version of this & the other limited ones,with all the research ,design, & trouble just to make a few hundred doesnt really seem to make alot of sense, & its the secondary market that seems to make more money than the manufacturer.

A) I don't think ZT makes a lot of money on these super high end pieces. They do it for the attention it brings to the brand and to push the limits of what's possible in a 'production' knife. The example I always use is that of the Bugatti Veyron. Volkswagen loses a couple million dollars on every one that they sell but the notoriety and technical knowledge it brings to the brand are invaluable.

B) I think that when they plan out production, they try to gauge the market demand for such pieces. I think as KAI and ZT especially has grown in the last few years, you can see the increase in the number of limited pieces. The Volt and the Speedform were only a few hundred pieces. The Tilt wasn't too much more. Only recently with the 0560cbcf, 0600 and 0777 have you seen them do a better job of matching production to demand.

If your personal satisfaction of having it in your collection depends on it being a mint example, enjoy...:p

Having one to use & one to treat like a safe queen allows me to enjoy the one I use that much more. Everyone has their own way of enjoying this hobby & that just happens to be mine. Thats ok if you don't believe in safe queens, but I just like to do things a little different. Of the ZT's that are LE that I have I rotate out every day. Others enjoy this hobby in a different way, thats just how I do it.

Having one to use & one to treat like a safe queen allows me to enjoy the one I use that much more. Everyone has their own way of enjoying this hobby & that just happens to be mine. Thats ok if you don't believe in safe queens, but I just like to do things a little different. Of the ZT's that are LE that I have I rotate out every day. Others enjoy this hobby in a different way, thats just how I do it.

You're doin' it just fine Sir !!!

I for one have never understood this mentality. What's wrong with having safe queens??

Absolutely nothing.

What's wrong with the mentality to carry and use every knife regardless of its value or rarity?

I'm well aware thats how you do it. You offered your opinion on using high end knives and I gave mine. No need to get defensive.

I'm well aware thats how you do it. You offered your opinion on using high end knives and I gave mine. No need to get defensive.

I wasn't trying to be defensive. I was just stating how I like to handle my LE's. I'm not sure if the tone in my paragraph was defensive as I meant it to be more of a statement. I took no offense in your comment as every one has a way of handling their tools. If anything I just read it as your way of using your knives, you don't like to keep LE's as safe queens & like to use them. I do too, I just like to have another one in my safe. Call it having the best of both worlds. You should see the look on some of my co-workers faces when they see me using the new ZT or other LE that I bought tearing up a carpet on a car or cutting some hoses or other car related parts (I'm an auto tech). They always ask how much I payed for it & gawk at the prices. But I normally do it cause I know I have a new brand new one in my safe, being a safe queen while its brother is out in the field in my pocket, getting greasy & grimmy every time I use it while at work (I maintain them as I use them). You should see the scales on my poor orange 0350 (love it by the way). But do it knowing I have a spare. Thats all, I hope I can find another 0888 so I can beat up like my other users. ;)

Beautiful knife. My only gripe will probably be the short pocket clip. I don't like the short, ultra-stiff pocket clip on my 0777 M390, and this one seems similar. I guess I will hold off final judgment until I have it in hand.

Awesome knife! Congratulations to the folks who will be getting these.

I know I am going to regret not buying one of these. I remember well sitting with Jimmer in his office checking out the cad models, and handling the protos at Blade.

Kai once again owns the market, and congratulations to the fine folks in Tualatin for another hit over the wall!

I will enjoy seeing all of the pictures and accounts of the folks who are receiving their 888s !

best

mqqn

Back