ZT0560 edge DESTROYED by plastic zip tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the exact kind of zip tie and way I cut it. Yes I was twisting as well to "pop" the zip tie. Done it 1000s of times.

20120820_204017.jpg

Uhh, yeah. I've done that exact cut many, many, many times (even with *extremely* acute edges) with no damage whatsoever. That amount of damage is incredible to have come from plastic. I'd be a little upset about it myself, since I've done it countless times without damage..... I don't know what's going on here.

i've jacked an edge up on zip ties but it was the large industrial types mentioned in above posts, according to the OP's picture that little ziptie shouldn't of done that kind of damage...

I jacked up the edge on my 0560 in a similar fashion doing a similarly simple task that I've done with other knives with no problem. I fixed it but it annoyed me. I have the feeling it might be something about the 0560, the heat treat, or some technical process.

In my case I had just received the knife, it still had a factory edge, and I put a very serious roll (to the point that I initially thought I chipped it) in the belly near the tip (the same location as your damage) by press cutting (no lateral twist) a piece of plastic packaging. I know there are a lot of lovers of the 0560- and I indeed enjoy mine as a flipper and as a fun look and feel - but I've actually found that the geometry of the overall blade is not that good. It just doesn't perform as well as many other knives for me. I dunno. I still like and enjoy it, but I'm not totally convinced.

This is the exact kind of zip tie and way I cut it. Yes I was twisting as well to "pop" the zip tie. Done it 1000s of times.

20120820_204017.jpg

I've done that with the friggin' main blade on my Victorinox Soldier and haven't had a problem. Let me re-phrase that. I have cut zip ties in exactly that same situation/configuration and not had a problem with even a friggin' Victorinox Soldier. I did not pry. I cut. Edge has always remained undamaged. I do not recall doing zip ties larger than that, though. I wouldn't hesitate, though, even with my 560. Rotate that blade in a clockwise direction until the spine hangs up on the fastener portion. Keep torqueing (make sure you know where that edge is gonna go when it cuts through) and it'll cut. If it doesn't with no problem, it is time to send the 560 back to KAI and ask for the blade to be replaced with some other steel.

Oops, just read the next post, and it said essentially the same thing I did...

Ouch! That's one nasty looking chip. May take a bit of effort to sharpen that out by hand, but if you've got a belt grinder, that should make short work of it.

I don't have any Elmax blades :(, but I have cut a LOT of zip ties with my knives over the past 18 years (working in computer assembly line, warehouses, various IT and telecom roles), including bigger/thicker ones than what you have pictured. I've not had that happen to me before, even with some of the softer steels like 420HC and 1.4110 (SAKs) to supposedly more brittle steels like VG10 and ZDP189. Maybe it was the particular batch of blanks that your knife came from?

Sure, a purpose-made tool (wire cutters, snips) would be better suited to the task, but if I don't have one on hand, I'll use my knife. That's why I carry it after all.

My 0560 had almost the exact same "chipping" as the OP's. Not sure what caused it, though. I sharpened it out. Mine is Serial No: 0511, for reference.

Sorry about that, maybe the edge was a bit brittle, and some sharpening will get it to the better steel behind.
But I've cut hundreds of zip ties with a keychain opinel no 2, when i use to work in a factory, and never had problems, considering that's a very thin blade, i was actually abusing the hell out of it.

Odd.
The 0560 is still high on my "to-buy" list.
That's the second knife this year that i was a moment away from buying then a "failure/issue" thread pops up and gives me second thoughts.
(the other knife was not a Kershaw/ZT knife).
I still love my Kershaws and ZTs and other than an assisted opening-spring breaking i have never had any problems with them.
Hopefully the OP will contact Kershaw/ZT and see what they have to say about this.

Odd.
The 0560 is still high on my "to-buy" list.
That's the second knife this year that i was a moment away from buying then a "failure/issue" thread pops up and gives me second thoughts.
(the other knife was not a Kershaw/ZT knife).
I still love my Kershaws and ZTs and other than an assisted opening-spring breaking i have never had any problems with them.
Hopefully the OP will contact Kershaw/ZT and see what they have to say about this.

I'd highly recommend this knife. Its one of my favorites for sure

I have a 0560 sitting on my desk right now that I've used to cut tons of heavy duty zip ties. No problems at all with the edge.

Scott - If you would like, send the knife in and we can fix that edge for you. Send me a PM if you want to discuss it.

- Jim

Looks like maybe some twisting action was involved.....I convexed the edge on my 561 when i got it, i have cut several zips with no issues...on tight ones, i kinda twist and pull and make a forced diag cut....either way your edge is a easy fix.

I used to lay brick on houses in my college summers. Bricks are held in a cube by these one inch straps made of some kind of plastic. I used my blade(rat 1, granted thats aus 8 not Elmax) to cut one just one time and it absolutely tore the edge to shreds. Seriously I dont believe it would even cut butter after. The point is I learned my lesson to not cut plastic like that and started carrying a Leatherman for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back