2013 fish pic thread

first fish Ive caught out of this lake that had a concave belly :) he must have been very hungry

Bass are moving in the creeks. Caught about a hundred today but no big ones. Here is my limit under the slot plus a nice crappie.

A little story about the picture above. I found the bass in the back of a cove. Most were thirteen to fourteen inches long and to big to keep. There is a 12 to 15 inch slot limit. Was catching them on every cast at times. I was using a vintage Jim Rogers "Big Jim" crankbait from the 70s , bluegill color. The bass were slamming it. They were taking it so deep that most of the time I had to carefully dig out the hooks, often going in through the gillplates trying not to kill the fish. I was spending more time trying to remove hooks than fishing. Finally I had enough and switched baits. This time a Lucky Craft Rick Clunn signature crankbait in chartreuse/ bluegill. The fish were not hitting it as aggressively and usually only had the rear trebble in its mouth for easy removal.

I tell you. Those old jim Rogers shallow crankbaits have a much tighter wiggle than most cranks and the bass hit it hard and often.The past two years they have been my best lure period. I only have one left . Might have to start looking on ebay for more.

r0rsxt.jpg

It took me about 45 minutes to land this flathead in my kayak.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That made me laugh :D

on a side note I just purchased a abu garcia orra s30 reel because my last reels gears were destroyed dragging in a monster bass. Never landed the fish but from what I saw it was every bit of 8lbs :eek: (that's huge for my local lake)

that bass is officially the one that got away

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That made me laugh :D

on a side note I just purchased a abu garcia orra s30 reel because my last reels gears were destroyed dragging in a monster bass. Never landed the fish but from what I saw it was every bit of 8lbs :eek: (that's huge for my local lake)

that bass is officially the one that got away

I know how ya feel....I've lost a bunch of fish in my time....I caught the cat on a little zebco with 8lb spider wire.

ha ha, changed lures to catch LESS fish! Don't hear that too often! Glad to hear the fishing is good in Missouri, DipBait. Met a fellow from Missouri and fished with him this summer. Good guy. That's my only connection to Missouri fishing, he had some pretty good stories. Anyways, keep it up guys!
Tight Lines Everyone

ha ha, changed lures to catch LESS fish! Don't hear that too often! Glad to hear the fishing is good in Missouri, DipBait. Met a fellow from Missouri and fished with him this summer. Good guy. That's my only connection to Missouri fishing, he had some pretty good stories. Anyways, keep it up guys!
Tight Lines Everyone
LOL. Yeah. I actually caught more fish after the change because I spent less time digging hooks out.

Went fishing with my brother in law for some fall Splake. It was terrible weather for a couple of days and the fishing was pretty slow but on the last day or two we ended up getting a few nice ones. Beautiful fish

1381546_10153343023190302_1405899487_n.jpg

1381797_10153343028950302_1690569720_n.jpg

1383780_10153343032665302_886076824_n.jpg

Let 'em go and let 'em grow!
1377102_10153343037405302_1206630401_n.jpg

You can see how clear the water is on that last release picture. You can see the bottom in about 15' of water and that's with the cell phone pic! Hard to tell which part of the fish is in the water. Clear water makes for finicky fish, which make smart fish, which make big fish! We have pulled some nice trout out of there.

Some great looking fish in here.

I had the boy with me, and found my regular lake is closed while they stock some trout (so I'll avoid it for a week or so). So I headed to a little pond I used to visit.

10-11 inch Largemouth - much bigger than I expected in this tiny pond. Fun catch - took him on a floating rapala f3 in carp coloring. I don't often see the largemouth's leap when going after a top bait. He's too small to keep, but I'll be back for him next year.

10inLargemouth_101613_Schiller.jpg

Anybody go fishing this weekend?
I can't go for a couple of weeks so I need to live vicariously through you guys, post some pics!

Back