2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Looking good so far. This will likely end up as the one I carry.

Hopefully a little more of the red/gold shows up in these as they go along. I'm sure they'll look good either way though.
Me too...I've had that one in mind as the one I want to carry :thumbsup: I like the shield and I think that jigged bone will look great after some use.

Got my 29, and am very pleased. Any fears I had of a fat knife (due to 3 springs) have proven me foolish.

This is a huge winner in my book, and will make a great carry!

All three blades have half stops, and are snappy opening and closing. The main clip opens the easiest for me. I'm not good at the rating thing, but I'd give the clip a 5 or 6, and the punch & sheepfoot at a 7 or 8.

I compared my 29 to a 66 Calf Roper, as I considered that the most similar knife I possess, and most of us are familiar with.

I do not have a digital caliper, so had to eyeball these with my standard one. These are as close as I could get.

Closed length:
29 = 3.625"
66 = 3.453"

Thickness (this surprised me! The photo below is misleading due to bad lighting, I've measured multiple times:) Keep in mind the different handle materials as well):
29 = .516" (~33/64")
66 = .547" (~35/64")

Weight:
29 = 2.73 oz.
66 = 2.65 oz

Main clip length:
29 = 2.5"
66 = 2.5" (just under)

Sheepfoot:
29 = 2.25"
66 = 1.875"

3rd blade (29 punch, 66 spay):
29 = 2.25"
66 = 1.75"

View attachment 1168290 View attachment 1168291 View attachment 1168292 View attachment 1168293
Sounds like a winner. :thumbsup:

Oof. These could be very tempting...

u7HbWGX.jpg

Last edited:
I'm weak. My willpower succumbed. I just picked up an acrylic. I only have one or two acrylic knives. I've sat out and watched for so long, but this run has my collector thirst running again. This is the one I was fortunate enough to pick up. Not in my hands yet though......
Grits G_001.jpg Grits G_002.jpg

Last edited:
For those that have one in hand. Im assuming the "butter" comes from the brass liner color coming through more translucent portions of the acrylic. Am I correct?

For those that have one in hand. Im assuming the "butter" comes from the brass liner color coming through more translucent portions of the acrylic. Am I correct?
Correct. The acrylic is black and white but the brass liners bring out the butter :)

Interesting. I wonder how that will look when the brass oxidizes and darkens.
Very interesting indeed. I recall commenting how I thought the name should be tuxedo or cookies and cream acrylic when the first photos were posted. Clearly no butter.
IMG_8726 (1).jpg

...then it kinda blew my mind a little bit when I saw where the butter comes from :)
IMG_8926.jpg

Just another reason why I love GEC...they are always surprising me :thumbsup:

I'm not a big fan of acrylic but I really like this pattern.

For those that have one, does it look somewhat 3D? I would imagine it would look somewhat dimensional if it's brass liner underneath clear acrylic

I can't wait to get mine! :)

I've been wanting to see a new acrylic from GEC and this one looks great. Also doesn't look like much of a Lolly Scramble to get one so that should please a lot of folks.

I've been wanting to see a new acrylic from GEC and this one looks great. Also doesn't look like much of a Lolly Scramble to get one so that should please a lot of folks.

Has there ever been a Lolly Scramble for an acrylic cover? I've found a couple of grails, but they were acrylic and that put me off. It's not the synthetic/natural divide for me, either, since I really like micarta.

Has there ever been a Lolly Scramble for an acrylic cover? I've found a couple of grails, but they were acrylic and that put me off. It's not the synthetic/natural divide for me, either, since I really like micarta.
The Dead Skunk 14s from last year were gone in minutes. Lolly Scramble city.

Back