1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Jun 21, 2019.

1. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 7, 2016
    Yup...sounds about right :eek:

2. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I first used that phrase ‘lolly scramble’ to describe the new GEC release buying process. I didn’t realise it had a New Zealand meaning? I just remember following a quad bike around NZ country fair grounds, with some guy dressed as Santa on the back throwing delicious Mackintosh toffees to kids. Probably banned these days.

The toffee connection to the acrylic makes me smile

Anyway back on track. I am so pleased how these 29s turned out. Much nicer than the drawing suggested. Not cheap though. I don’t think I can afford as many versions as I would like.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Sabercat likes this.
  3. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Any word on how strong the pull is on these 29s?

4. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    There more I look at this pattern, the more I feel they really missed a good opportunity to use some type of abalone/abalone veneer as a cover option.

5. Signalprick

Signalprick Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2009
    @Sabercat posted this shortly after receiving his. Seems like the secondary blade pulls might be a little stiff for some for a knife this size. Maybe not though.

6. Sabercat

Sabercat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2015
    If I'm off either direction from my review, I hope it's just by one number. The important thing to me is none of them are weak in my opinion.

I'm probably way better at comparing than I am assigning ratings.

**Compared to my 14 TC clip:
    Clip main is noticeably lighter. By a level or two.
    Sheep and punch are about the same as the 14

Norcaldude and BigKurtHaze like this.
  7. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    [​IMG]

This is the Great Eastern Cutlery Tidioute Stockyard Whittler, has GBM Acrylic handles and Brass liners. The blade steel is 1095 and finish is Satin.

*Our opinion: The pull is a 5. The GEC effort on this run as compared to their entire catalog is 9. Action (walk) is 4 on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being gator snap. Spring Pressure is 2.36 lbs.

Maker : Great Eastern Cutlery
    Brand : Tidioute
    Year : 2019
    Handles : GBM Acrylic
    Factory ID : 291319
    Pattern : Whittler
    Pet Name : Stockyard
    Condition : New/Mint
    Blade Steel : 1095
    Liners : Brass
    Bolsters : Nickel Silver
    Blade Type : Clip/Coping/Awl
    # Blades : 3
    # Backsprings : 3
    Action (1-5) : 4
    Spring Pressure : 2.36 lbs
    *Pull (1-10) : 5
    Closed Length : 3 9/16 inches
    Longest Blade : 2 1/2 inches
    Longest Sharp : 2 5/16 inches
    Overall Length : 8 3/8 inches
    Weight : 2.75 ounces
    Half Stops : Yes
    Factory Box : Yes
    Blade Finish : Satin
    *Factory Effort : 9

8. Sabercat

Sabercat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Thank you! I was hoping someone who knows what they're talking about would give his ratings!

HEMI 49 likes this.
  9. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    @knifeswapper Hey Mike, I probably haven’t payed as close attention as some, but I haven’t noticed many 9 ratings handed out. And I’ve seen some stellar 8 rated runs, so 9 sounds exiting to me.

For reference, do you recall the last couple/few 9’s you’ve reviewed? Have there been any 10’s?

Kiteman72 likes this.
  10. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    I don't expect to ever see a 10. The #44 and #78 are a couple that I seem to remember rating a 9. The #29 is an 8.51; it took some thought to round it up or round it down. But the one I played with had what I consider near perfect action with a near optimal spring pressure (I like them @2.5lbs). I don't do fractions, but action was probably a 3.5; pull was probably a 5.5. All blades had good action and no signs of problems anywhere on the sample I took out for pictures.

I must admit, I am not a big whittler fan - nor a punch fan. But I don't consider that in my ratings as I have learned to never try and guess what someone else is going to like/want.

11. Babalu32

Babalu32

Jan 4, 2018
    If I recall, the green bone bull moose was rated a 9 as well.

12. Rockon75

Rockon75 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Well, don't get your panties in a knot. The annual rendezvous knife has come in Laminated Veneer Sheet Abalone more than a few times, and I don't mean ALVS, I mean LVS. You never know what their going to deliver.....

Sabercat likes this.
  13. flylock

flylock Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 9, 2004
    I really like this 29 pattern. The blades are all as long as they possibly could be to fit inside the handle and if these blades don't rub a bit I will really be amazed. Just got mine today and I like the acrylic but I will need a bone one too. I took a few quick comparison pictures. it seems closest in size and thickness to the vic farmer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Must be the angle of your shot, but the #29 top views look like it's tapered, and or one end being wider than the other.
    Thanks for sharing the comparisons.

15. flylock

flylock Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Not tapered both ends are the same width. I will add that the punch is sharp but not as sharp as the 2016 bf drover pattern

pmek5 likes this.
  16. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Just got mine today. I like it better than I thought. Not bulky at all as I feared. No blade rub at all on three very well finished blades. This is my first acrylic and I like it more than I thought too.

It is not tapered but there are nice curves on this piece.

17. knifethetank

knifethetank Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    With 3 springs I’m surprised it’s only 2.75 and not heavier

18. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    IMG_9036.jpg

19. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    waverave likes this.