2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

Got mine and love it, I think it qualifies as a Jumbo Jack as defined by Levine. The last shots compare it to a 77 Jack and an original Empire Jumbo Jack, gives you an idea of the width, this is a very nice large strong Jack.

Wow, surely looks as a major piece of cutlery! Just as we hoped, a Jumbo to be sure. The BFC knife will be flat out amazing. Dang, think we nailed this one....

Last edited:
Got mine and love it, I think it qualifies as a Jumbo Jack as defined by Levine. The last shots compare it to a 77 Jack and an original Empire Jumbo Jack, gives you an idea of the width, this is a very nice large strong Jack.

View attachment 1229032 View attachment 1229033 View attachment 1229034 View attachment 1229035 View attachment 1229036 View attachment 1229037

thats a big un!! im managed to get in an order on one while traveling cant wait to see when it gets here. how is the pull on that?

My micarta might arrive this week sometime... if not, then certainly early next week. Even though I'm not a big fan of clip blades, I think I'm going to like this knife quite a bit.

Hey - how exactly does one purchase this (or in general any future) Blade Forum SFO knife? Where is it sold / what’s process?

Hey - how exactly does one purchase this (or in general any future) Blade Forum SFO knife? Where is it sold / what’s process?
There is a comprehensive list of GEC dealers on their website.

If you'll check the production blog and schedule you can see what dealers have Special Factory Orders coming up...

Go to that dealer's specific site to see if there's a reservation process.

There is a comprehensive list of GEC dealers on their website.

If you'll check the production blog and schedule you can see what dealers have Special Factory Orders coming up...

Go to that dealer's specific site to see if there's a reservation process.

Right! I checked GEC production schedule and that’s how I found out BladeForum had an SFO of this 86. Just trying to figure out where to buy it or reserve.

Unfortunately, I believe they are already sold out. Contact one of the mods, either knarfeng or Peregrin to see if it's still possible to get one.

Also, there are apparently many folks that reserved 2 or more of them, and will very likely be selling one of them. It would be a good idea to post a thread in the "Wanted to buy" forum, stating what you want. I think you will be able to find one of the forum knives for sale, probably within a week or two of them "dropping". By posting in the WTB forum, you will catch the attention of one of those that reserved more than one, and are wanting to sell.... covers all bases, that way.

I'm yet another "Johnny-come lately" for the 2019 Forums Knife...so I missed out on the announcement/ordering and also the 50 unclaimed...anyway, I'll live. I'll probably post in the WTB. Done that before, but unfortunately being retired I can't be too much above "retail" pricing.

So, best strategy moving forward...can anyone tell me where and when to look (like for 2020) when this event comes up again? Like is there any way to get on a general notification list?...and so on.

Appreciate it,
Bob

Last edited:
I heard "through the grapevine" that it was a sort of unwritten rule, or at least understood, that the forum knives were not to be purchased in order to sell for profit. Most of the forum knives I've seen for sale appear to be holding to that practice. I like that. I got a 2018 forum knife for (what I heard) was at, or perhaps slightly less than what they originally sold for. The seller explained that he was not in it for profit, but simply enjoyed seeing members acquire the knives they want. Definitely classy folks on this forum....

The moderators and volunteer dealer put in a lot of time and effort for no profit on the forum knives. When someone tries to sell one for a profit it is an affront to the generosity of BladeForums, it’s moderators, and the dealer. People who enjoy the forum knife know that it isn’t a guaranteed thing, so they respect the pricing when they sell one, typically. Those who don’t are probably on a list for future recompense.

SVTguy, hornetguy and JTB_5 - Thanks for this good information. The help and consideration one gets on this platform is much appreciated.

...btw (and on thread topic), I did get an 86 - it's a pleasure to pick up & use - and it seems the buzz is really good on this one. If so, it's deserved.

Bob

Last edited:
1F96D686-3EBA-424E-8716-6E17624798C9.jpeg

Unexpected USPS delivery, both arrived a day early and on a holiday to boot. I knew the Ocoee jack would be nice, love the color and bare head. Bit disappointed with the sluggish closing. I’ll be working on that. I initially grabbed the 86 for the unique shield. A throwback to my younger working days. I requested a darker sucker rod wood, which I’m very happy with. In hand this is a hefty beast. Great pull, easily a 6 with nice closing snap on both blades. Really excited for the forum knife now. I believe people are going to love these as they come out and get into peoples hands.

Mine is out for delivery also. I don’t care if it’s dark or light. I like them both looking around at others. Excited to see what it looks like! I also hope it’s a little snappier than some of the later gec offerings. Not a killer though if it isn’t. The BF should be coming up soon I hope. Hoping they do them before the Northfields and other SFO’s.

Back