2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

I suspect that those Camel Bones with a washed out finish might well age very nicely if they are actually used and carried ;) So, don't write them off, set them to work :cool:

Waiting to see what the 'Camel Bar' I ordered will be like, very excited too as it will be a user - I'm convinced.:D

I suspect that those Camel Bones with a washed out finish might well age very nicely if they are actually used and carried ;) So, don't write them off, set them to work :cool:

Waiting to see what the 'Camel Bar' I ordered will be like, very excited too as it will be a user - I'm convinced.:D
Yes.... I was about to post the same thing. The lighter color camels look almost like darkened, aged elephant tooth... they might end up being very nice looking after a year or so in pocket/hand.
That's the only problem I have with my unicorn... it will very likely look the same 5 years from now, because everyone knows unicorns never age.. they're sort of magical like that...;)

Yes.... I was about to post the same thing. The lighter color camels look almost like darkened, aged elephant tooth... they might end up being very nice looking after a year or so in pocket/hand.
That's the only problem I have with my unicorn... it will very likely look the same 5 years from now, because everyone knows unicorns never age.. they're sort of magical like that...;)

From now on if/when we see camel bone on the schedule - we should make a mental note that they will almost certainly be lighter than first pictured. If you look at these with a memory / expectation of banana bone or goldenrod bone, one will probably be disappointed. But, if you look at these disregarding the name and expectations - they really are quite stunning. I was thinking yesterday that had they called these marble camel bone or some other non-descript name - they would have been much more in demand.

From now on if/when we see camel bone on the schedule - we should make a mental note that they will almost certainly be lighter than first pictured. If you look at these with a memory / expectation of banana bone or goldenrod bone, one will probably be disappointed. But, if you look at these disregarding the name and expectations - they really are quite stunning. I was thinking yesterday that had they called these marble camel bone or some other non-descript name - they would have been much more in demand.

You'd think buyers would be used to the characteristics of their dyed camel bone by now.

So I’m brand new to camel bone. Were previous bananas like the #85 rotten made of camel bone or another material?

Catch basin? :p

IMG_1340.jpg

knifeswapper knifeswapper you have a great point on naming the dye job. I think a new name more appropriately setting expectations with camel bone might be a great idea.

Jiki Jiki check the pictures up on the “what’s happening”... those are some insanely thin carving blades!! We’re talking probably on the order of the #35 Churchill sheepsfoot.

All new camel bone covers should be called:

"Mottled, splotchy, saturated (fill in color here)" and then no more complaints!

I love camel
bone and prefer it over cattle bone for its variation.

"Marbled camel bone" may be an appropriate name instead of "goldenrod."
full

full

Two have the main blade barely touching the mark-side liner. Enough that oil pools up in a distinctive "line" on the blade where it contacts the brass. No marks, no scratches, blade is well away from the liner when closing. But, it does appear to touch once fully seated.
full

full

Blade do not touch each other and the pen is no where near the liners.

Camel bone in it's natural state. Hard to tell from photos but there is a different texture to each of these.
full

Speaking of the camel bone dye jobs, and this is just one person's opinion, I'm disappointed.
Not sure I'll keep any of them. They just don't "sing" to me.

"Marbled camel bone" may be an appropriate name instead of "goldenrod."
full

full

Two have the main blade barely touching the mark-side liner. Enough that oil pools up in a distinctive "line" on the blade where it contacts the brass. No marks, no scratches, blade is well away from the liner when closing. But, it does appear to touch once fully seated.
full

full

Blade do not touch each other and the pen is no where near the liners.

Camel bone in it's natural state. Hard to tell from photos but there is a different texture to each of these.
full

Speaking of the camel bone dye jobs, and this is just one person's opinion, I'm disappointed.
Not sure I'll keep any of them. They just don't "sing" to me.
I don't know.... that lower one has a pretty good voice.... :)

It just struck me... A first?
A person could potentially own a #62 in all FOUR of the GEC lines; GEC, Tidioute, Northfield, and Farm n Field. :cool::thumbsup:

It just struck me... A first?
A person could potentially own a #62 in all FOUR of the GEC lines; GEC, Tidioute, Northfield, and Farm n Field. :cool::thumbsup:
Which one(s) are GEC branded? I have Northfield and Tidioute, with the F&F coming soon...

Back