2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Shurke

Shurke Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Thank you so much! This is very helpful. Now I'm convinced I need to try out one of the new banana 62s.

waynorth likes this.
  2. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    Charlie, I actually had this discussion earlier in the year on AAPK. (Shameless copy & paste)

"The #13 and #61 are pretty much identical in length, (#61 might actually be a fraction of a MM longer) but the #13 brings half an inch more main blade to the table (#13 2 7/8" #61 2 3/8".) In terms of actual cutting edge, according to the 'ol calipers, the #61 has 2.15" and the #13 has 2.6"."

In addition to the noticeably longer blade on the #13, the #13 pattern has:

1. a slightly more curved backside,
    2. noticeably less "hump" in the middle of the frame
    3. Less taper from the middle of the frame to the bolsters
    4. edges that were much more rounded than the kind of chamfered edges of the #61.

All in all, the #13, to me, feels much better in the hand, and feels as if it has less bulk in the pocket.

[​IMG]

Aryan29, Dr-Mabuse, ISKRA and 10 others like this.
  3. Rockon75

Rockon75 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Very interesting. Now, please educate me on this, by using a wider back spring material and employing a catch bit it would appear that more room is available for the main blade to use up the entire blade well. By using the "hollowed liner" technique, the blade is shorter due to more "interference" of the two blades passing one another and thus the main blade has to be shorter than the full blade well length due to the fact that the blades would crash into one another. Am I assuming incorrectly? Always learning something new......

Will Power and waynorth like this.
  4. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks so much for giving us a side by side!!! A picture is worth a thousand words!!!

5. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Both a catch bit and a cut-out liner are strategies to allow room in the blade well. But, depending how they are made, either may allow a longer main blade IMO!!
    But for a final answer, I'm going to have to study more knives!
    I wonder if there's a handbook on knife pattern layout, or if it takes only cutlery apprenticeship and study that teaches these things??:rolleyes:

Ramrodmb and Rockon75 like this.
  6. SnackPack

SnackPack Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2019
    Ditto, do the mock up pictures typically represent the jigging style that the knife will receive?

7. knife_fan

knife_fan Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2012
    I'm a little disappointed GEC isn't offering a wood option on this release.

ISKRA likes this.
  8. JB in LV

JB in LV Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2016
    would make for a nice SFO?

9. knife_fan

knife_fan Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2012
    It sure would. (pun intended) :D

JohnDF and JB in LV like this.
  10. AZCoyote

AZCoyote

Apr 30, 2019
    From the "what's happening" page it looks like they are finally starting to work on the 62 . Seeing some of those unicorn ivory scales getting prepped. Cant wait to get that bad boy in hand!

t.willy, JustinR and hornetguy like this.
  11. JustinR

JustinR Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Can't wait for my unicorn ivory example.

Still hoping we will get surprised with a 62 Whittler too in 2020.

[​IMG]

12. 3-1-1

3-1-1

Apr 2, 2012
    Just wanted to say y'all are nuts in a good way. This thread is already 7 pages long and production hasn't even begun! (And could be weeks or even months away ... not even on the production schedule!)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  13. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    The anticipation and chatter leading up to the actual release is a big part of what makes all of this fun :) Seems once everyone starts getting things in-hand that the excitement actually dies down pretty quick. There is always a flood of photos, of course, but then it is on to the next :)

AZCoyote likes this.
  14. ISKRA

ISKRA

Sep 19, 2016
    Too bad there's no wood version this time. The 62s are a pattern that looks very well in wood. Nice that there's an acryllic version but perosnally I'd preffer something with a bit more colour.

15. Mayonardo

Mayonardo

Oct 28, 2010
    Bananas!

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  16. ISKRA

ISKRA

Sep 19, 2016
    That would be a great idea! I think they're going after it with the camel bine already though. We'll see though. Let's hope they're not telling us everything, haha.

17. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2018
    I wish I could get a green banana bone #62. I love green bananas. I have some Navy blue leather dye. I could pop my knife with blue dye and turn it green. The less brown the better. I am only buying one knife on this run. I am saving my money for the 2020 Trapper run. I'll have the bones ready for early club member knives. If this #62 knife came in Oily Creek cougar clawed jigged bone , Oily Creek barnboard jigged bone , Oily Creek Sawcut , Chocolate almond wavy Rogers jigged bone , Blueberry jigged bone , or Blue River acrylic , I would go fool.

18. Mayonardo

Mayonardo

Oct 28, 2010
    [​IMG]
    The main blades,
    [​IMG]
    Jigged bone

I think this one will be the one I will get. For certain reasons, I can’t literally handle smooth bone user knives any longer. The 62 appears to be a bit larger than I thought, which, for me, is a good thing. After this drops, my stable will consist of it, an Oil Field Jack and my trusty Calf Roper.

19. Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I have trouble opening "gator snap" knives myself. I use my feet and a Case XX blade pick. I bought two CASE XX 2019 Trapper-lock kickstart knives this year. The CASE XX Trapper-lock kickstart knife is the fastest opening traditional folder that own in my collection. The 2018 mid hunter CASE XX kickstart rattles when shaken with the blade open. I am done with that model. My two 2019 Trapper-lock kickstarts are super solid and well made. I want another in 2020.

t.willy likes this.
  20. Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I am not happy with this run. I do like the #62 shape and blades. I do have a banana #62 pre-order. Gabon Ebony would be nice, Brazilian Cherry would of been perfect. I would of loved an #86 white natural bone knife. That white acrylic looks cheap and cheezy to me. Bring on some blue river acrylic. This run helps me save money for better GEC knives.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019