1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

2020 GEC #74 Mustang Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Sep 15, 2020.

1. rpstrimple

rpstrimple Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2011
    My example arrived a day early from Frank, I like the smokier look to it. Should look real nice in the direct sun. [​IMG]

2. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    These showed up in the mail yesterday. I’m definitely happy with my choices on this run. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

3. DavidV81

DavidV81

Feb 12, 2019
    As much as I’m loving the ironwood, I can’t wait for the stags to be released. Still watching the exchange for a burlap micarta catch and release haha.

KnifeandEasy likes this.
  4. ArchiveMoto

ArchiveMoto Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2017
    74 in Ironwood, YES PLEASE! I absolutely love this pattern and ironwood, walnut, and ebony are favorites so this one is a hardline keeper for me. Debating putting a polish on the bolsters, I just think it would serve this particular knife better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and with the fam.

[​IMG]

I also took a couple with my other swirly woods to low-key brag and showcase the variations.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  5. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Sweet lineup! The 85 is Tiger Maple, right?

6. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Polish those bolsters up!!!

Congrats!

7. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    NICE!!!

Pt-Luso likes this.
  8. ArchiveMoto

ArchiveMoto Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2017
    ah you're right, thanks for the reminder.

Sharp & Fiery and Ramrodmb like this.
  9. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Those Ironwood 74's are so beautiful, I'm about to become the world's best blues musician.

Duh nah nah nah NAH!
    Couldn't get my hands on an ir'nwood s'ty four...
    Duh nah nah nah NAH!
    Couldn't get my hands on an ir'nwood s'ty four...
    Duh nah nah nah NAH!
    And now sorrow has it's hands on me...

10. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    What? (Aghast ! :thumbsdown:)
    DO NOT polish those beautiful bolsters!

hornetguy likes this.
  11. rpstrimple

rpstrimple Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Beautiful collection you have there! I try to never pass on the wood covers that GEC does, they always hit them out of the park.

12. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    I’m indifferent about the bolsters (polished, satin… I’m fine either way), but one thing I do really appreciate about this Ironwood #74 is the satin blade.

[​IMG]

13. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I got my first two in today and I am quite pleased.

My only experience thus far with the #74 frame has been with my single Stallion in Ebony. 'Tis a fine knife and I certainly have not carried it as much as it deserves - with that said, I think I like the mustangs even more. There is something about the cant of the blade on the Stallion that the Mustang lacks - where the clip blade on the Stallion dips down, the drop point maintains a relatively straight trajectory upon leaving the frame (I prefer the latter). All in all, it is just something I observed.

The Black Plum is a pure gem. Relatively perfect right out of the tube with around a 7 pull and wonderfully crisp action. Though purple is generally not my color, this is such a dark and rich hue, I find it captivating and though I might have preferred the federal shield to be just a hair smaller, it really suits this combination well.

The Iron Wood is very, very pretty - not book matched like some posted here but both mark and pile sides have beautiful color and grain to them. I had forgotten until rather recently that GEC doesn't polish the hardware or wood on their Ironwood examples anymore - something that completely baffles me. They used to and I think it made for better knives when dressed up in this striking material. Serious marks against the knife as a whole for the satin bolsters and shield - the covers even are a satin finish and as a result, you cannot truly appreciate the luster of this wood. 'Tis my opinion only, albeit a very strong one...

Another point of note with my Ironwood example is that the pull is significantly lighter than the one on the Black Plum. Still nice and snappy but the lighter pull threw me off a bit.

I am looking forward to the Stag now - aside from my Ironwood complaints, this is a stellar run so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Desert ironwood is simply the best wood. hands down. The best.

This is coming from a guy that likes rosewood and cocobolo and had always put them at the top of any list.

Surprising that it has taken a while to becone common on traditional knives. I wonder if that’s a supply issue or some other reason.

15. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    So so true Joshua.

But also I am stoked for all you folks who scored one! I’ll be patiently waiting until someone has a lapse in judgement and decides to sell theirs. ;) lol.

16. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    I would have to half agree. ;) Desert Ironwood is fantastic! The right cut of rosewood is amazing. I like cocobola, but not quite as much as a character exquisite Burl.
    You have good taste. :)

17. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    Also, these Ironwoods from GEC are just phenomenal so far.
    I wasnt digging the jigged plum originally, but hot darn folks, they are growing on me. Very very nice looking.

18. knifethetank

knifethetank Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I'm surprised how lite the 74 is, I'm not complaining just curious, I don't have an older 74 Mustang or Stallion to compare to this run, whoever does is the weight about the same or did something change, thanks

19. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    LOL !! thanks guys!

I've loved every single 74 I've seen from this run! Well done GEC!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Congrats to those who've scored one! :cool:

20. nickvnlr

nickvnlr Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Finally arrived! This is the sharpest factory edge I have received from GEC and the covers look nice too! ;)
    [​IMG]