2020 GEC #74 Mustang Thread

Now I see why this pattern is so popular...lightweight and perfect pocket size.

Mine came with a nice scratch across the bolster. Not sure how that made it through QC...Nothing a little Flitz couldn't take care of.
The bolsters are mirrors now and lost the matching satin finish.

lfVJVnl.jpg

qjwUnO7.jpg

Last edited:
I got my first two in today and I am quite pleased.

My only experience thus far with the #74 frame has been with my single Stallion in Ebony. 'Tis a fine knife and I certainly have not carried it as much as it deserves - with that said, I think I like the mustangs even more. There is something about the cant of the blade on the Stallion that the Mustang lacks - where the clip blade on the Stallion dips down, the drop point maintains a relatively straight trajectory upon leaving the frame (I prefer the latter). All in all, it is just something I observed.

The Black Plum is a pure gem. Relatively perfect right out of the tube with around a 7 pull and wonderfully crisp action. Though purple is generally not my color, this is such a dark and rich hue, I find it captivating and though I might have preferred the federal shield to be just a hair smaller, it really suits this combination well.

The Iron Wood is very, very pretty - not book matched like some posted here but both mark and pile sides have beautiful color and grain to them. I had forgotten until rather recently that GEC doesn't polish the hardware or wood on their Ironwood examples anymore - something that completely baffles me. They used to and I think it made for better knives when dressed up in this striking material. Serious marks against the knife as a whole for the satin bolsters and shield - the covers even are a satin finish and as a result, you cannot truly appreciate the luster of this wood. 'Tis my opinion only, albeit a very strong one...

Another point of note with my Ironwood example is that the pull is significantly lighter than the one on the Black Plum. Still nice and snappy but the lighter pull threw me off a bit.

I am looking forward to the Stag now - aside from my Ironwood complaints, this is a stellar run so far.

CXgdL8y.jpg

VpyMw3H.jpg

ac41ItT.jpg
Phenomenal!!!

to my inexperienced eyes, this run seems like the most exclusive of the past year

all either seem like they were already claimed or sold out almost instantly

that is, assuming more aren't coming to dealers soon :D

I don't know how I feel about this

edit: that is, most exclusive next to the beard and cheese knife

Last edited:
Managed to snag a Burlap for myself and one for a buddy. Small issues are minor gaps between liner and springs on mine a little more so on the other as well as minor blade wobble. The pull on mine is a solid 6 whereas the other is a bit lighter, good snap on both.

XY7lgBg.jpg

My black plum had a scuffed bolster (minor issue, very fixable) a one inch long gap that you could see light through (tolerable), and significant blade wobble (not tolerable). I was kinda shocked, by far, the worst GEC I have received and I am in no way a GEC hater and it won’t stop me from buying more in the future. I’m glad this was a good run for all who got one and I’m enjoying all the great posts and pictures. Just wanted to share my story. I’d post picks but it is already on its way back.

I agree, I use the vast majority of my knives also, and that’s why the blade play was the deal breaker for me.

My black plum had a scuffed bolster (minor issue, very fixable) a one inch long gap that you could see light through (tolerable), and significant blade wobble (not tolerable). I was kinda shocked, by far, the worst GEC I have received and I am in no way a GEC hater and it won’t stop me from buying more in the future. I’m glad this was a good run for all who got one and I’m enjoying all the great posts and pictures. Just wanted to share my story. I’d post picks but it is already on its way back.
Mine had a scuff on the bolster too(Brown burlap). No big deal. But, what did bother me a little are the long horizontal scratches along the entire length of the blade. This has happened to me before so I am not totally shocked. From wiping it down at the factory. I just wish they could rethink this process. It will be a user, so I can live with it. The bolster I will leave alone too, because if I remove that scuff, I will have a mirror bolster, and I really like the satin.

Got my Ironwood in today and am a bit torn on it. Like others, my Burlap had scuffed up bolsters upon arrival it and looks like I didn’t win the “booked match” lottery on my Ironwood. It definitely feels like GEC rushed these.

A scotchbrite pad from the kitchen sink works perfect for refinishing the bolsters. Both of mine were scuffed just from being in the tube. Not a fan of the non polished approach they are taking, including the satin blades.

Pretty easy to polish them out as well. Get one of these three sided nail buffing doohickies from the store. Takes just a few minutes to polish them up.

20201031_124406.jpg

Back