2020 GEC #74 Mustang Thread

Does anyone use renwax on their wood handled knives? What’s the best way to protect and polish up the wood?
I use a little buffing wheel in my dremel and finish with Johnson's paste wax. Ironwood is very durable but burl is is naturally weaker, I had a beautiful set of ironwood burl snap in half while I was polishing. I still use burl though, it's too beautiful to ignore.

Here's my ironwood sample with some brethren -
Q8PtEEx.jpg

No finishing or fitment issues that I can detect. I'm happy with it, but it does seem a little less refined than the 2016 run.

Perhaps because every knife will be snatched up before anybody has a chance to inspect them and give a review, checking the quality at the factory is a non-issue... they will all sell out regardless. There was a day when some of those would be sold as "seconds" or "store models".

Got my Ironwood in today and am a bit torn on it. Like others, my Burlap had scuffed up bolsters upon arrival it and looks like I didn’t win the “booked match” lottery on my Ironwood. It definitely feels like GEC rushed these.
if you want to let it go let me know i missed on the ironwood , micarya , jigged bonr and of course stag. lol

well i missed on the ironwood, micarta, and stag.

i hope to grab one on the secondary market.

stag is one i would def do not mind paying up if its done right.

Seems the issue lies with the satin nickel finishes. Without polishing, gaps and minor cracks aren’t filled, wood scales are rough, and factory scratches aren’t buffed out.

All of my knives are users, but in the future, I’ll probably stay away from GEC satin...ya right ;)

My #74 in ironwood came in on Friday so I thought I'd post a couple quick pics before I head out to work. :)

If I'm being really nitpicky, there's a very slight gap (that GEC filled) at the top of the shield. The grain is pretty straight, but has nice contrast. Blade is sharp and is nice and (fairly) thin. Overall, the only way I could be happier with it, is if GEC had sent me two, lol. Definitely a keeper. Don't mind the scuffs on the bolster, shield, and rear pins. They were caused by the slate table I was taking pictures on (it's a user so no harm, no foul).

KLHvnvD.jpg

N1VwTM3.jpg

Last edited:
From the photos listed here, the Ironwood examples are not finished very well and would greatly benefit from a good polishing. The selection of wood on some examples are quite beautiful even with the lack luster finish.
I suppose it takes all kinds.... I prefer a satin finish on a wood handled knife. If they are too polished, they start looking 'plastic' to me. I even dusted my 23 mesquite a little bit with fine scotchbrite to knock the shine back some.

"QUOTE="Fixall, post: My #74 in ironwood came in on Friday so I thought I'd post a couple quick pics before I head out to work. :)

KLHvnvD.jpg

N1VwTM3.jpg
/QUOTE"
I like that straight, contrasty grain!! (Is contrasty a word??:D)
While Burl is nice looking, this looks like quarter-sawn wood, and implies strength and durability!!:thumbsup: Congratulations, Fixall Fixall !!:)

Perhaps because every knife will be snatched up before anybody has a chance to inspect them and give a review, checking the quality at the factory is a non-issue... they will all sell out regardless. There was a day when some of those would be sold as "seconds" or "store models".
In the commercial world, that is always a possibility when demand far exceeds supply.

I wanted a 74 as bad as anyone and even with the issues it had I considered keeping it because I knew I wouldn’t get another one, but in the end I just couldn’t justify keeping it and sent it back. I don’t feel like l’m crazy picky, but I’m won’t keep a knife that I would send back if it were any other brand just because it is a GEC. We all know that they have made and will continue to make very high quality knives, but when they don’t, in my opinion, they don’t deserve to get beat up, but they don’t deserve a pass either, just because they are GEC.

I wanted a 74 as bad as anyone and even with the issues it had I considered keeping it because I knew I wouldn’t get another one, but in the end I just couldn’t justify keeping it and sent it back. I don’t feel like l’m crazy picky, but I’m won’t keep a knife that I would send back if it were any other brand just because it is a GEC. We all know that they have made and will continue to make very high quality knives, but when they don’t, in my opinion, they don’t deserve to get beat up, but they don’t deserve a pass either, just because they are GEC.

and by returning it you help strike the line of what you consider acceptable. I personally don’t like the idea of folks buying sub-par stuff just because it’s rare and they’re willing to put up with it.

And just to state the full case, it’s very hard to say what flaws are acceptable in a $100 knife; different things bother different people. It puts GEC and the buyer in a tough position. There are no rules with these things, so I think it’s safe to go with your gut; it will tell you if you got what you wanted.

Back