2023 GEC Cody Scout #721123LB

I bought the very last one from the UK distributer today,sight unseen of course he will post it to me.

Can you guess the handle material?

Here is a clue, the winner wins a bag of Malteser's (collection only) 😁

View attachment 2229422View attachment 2229423View attachment 2229425View attachment 2229426

This bone has nothing to do with Burnt Stag. I believe it is only called Burnt Sienna to reference the color. The glazing and dye work GEC does on what they sometimes call Pioneer bone is apparently a highly guarded secret. It occasionally shows up in different colors. Bill Howard’s Bone Room is off limits to all except those who have to know. I am going to GEC next month for a visit, and I will try to learn more. Of course, if they tell me they might have to kill me. If I disappear from the Forum sometime next month, tell them to look for my bones in the vicinity of Titusville. Or maybe they will just use me for a future run. What a great way to hide the evidence. Stay away from any future covers called Burnt Cajun.

@birdsbeaks , I was not implying that these are are identical to Pioneer Bone, only that they seem to have a similar treatment. To me it looks like some type of glaze with or without dye. However, I do not know what the exact recipe is. I am pretty sure these are not burned. Burnt Sienna is the name of the color. In making true Italian Burnt Sienna, the source material is heated to alter the color.
I have it on good authority they have employed a 3 Michelin star French chef who is kept out of site in the back room.
He uses an ancient French recipe/technique handed down from father to son to finish the covers.

View attachment 2229422View attachment 2229423View attachment 2229425View attachment 2229426

This bone has nothing to do with Burnt Stag. I believe it is only called Burnt Sienna to reference the color. The glazing and dye work GEC does on what they sometimes call Pioneer bone is apparently a highly guarded secret. It occasionally shows up in different colors. Bill Howard’s Bone Room is off limits to all except those who have to know. I am going to GEC next month for a visit, and I will try to learn more. Of course, if they tell me they might have to kill me. If I disappear from the Forum sometime next month, tell them to look for my bones in the vicinity of Titusville. Or maybe they will just use me for a future run. What a great way to hide the evidence. Stay away from any future covers called Burnt Cajun.

@birdsbeaks , I was not implying that these are are identical to Pioneer Bone, only that they seem to have a similar treatment. To me it looks like some type of glaze with or without dye. However, I do not know what the exact recipe is. I am pretty sure these are not burned. Burnt Sienna is the name of the color. In making true Italian Burnt Sienna, the source material is heated to alter the color.
Oh Oh! If I were you I'd take care. The message did not burn after reading... 🥵🥵🥵

Noticed this natural canvas micarta version of the 72LB on the GEC blog under the "Just Finished" sidebar. I haven't seen anyone post pictures of one though, I wonder if this was a kind of SFO as it wasn't on the production schedule. Was it one of the patterns of a previous run?

iUsHgH1.jpg

Noticed this natural canvas micarta version of the 72LB on the GEC blog under the "Just Finished" sidebar. I haven't seen anyone post pictures of one though, I wonder if this was a kind of SFO as it wasn't on the production schedule. Was it one of the patterns of a previous run?

iUsHgH1.jpg
I guess it was one of GEC's little surprises, i.e. a small batch with this handle option for selected dealers only.

Reactions: AxF
Does anyone else like to do this?

I enjoy the fidgeting satisfaction of the one hand opening capabilities of the 72. You gotta hold your mouth just right to get it open, but practice makes perfect.

I’m sure I’m asking for side to side wobble issues in the future…but I’ve been known to throw caution to the wind.

View attachment 2246414View attachment 2246415View attachment 2246416View attachment 2246417View attachment 2246418View attachment 2246419View attachment 2246420

I discovered that technique a few years ago when I was carrying a 97 regularly. It's surprising how many knives it works pretty well on - it's become so habitual for me that I'll often find myself absentmindedly attempting to open a knife in that manner, even if it's one where it doesn't work all that well.

Agreed
I discovered that technique a few years ago when I was carrying a 97 regularly. It's surprising how many knives it works pretty well on - it's become so habitual for me that I'll often find myself absentmindedly attempting to open a knife in that manner, even if it's one where it doesn't work all that well.
Agreed. I carried a Mini-Copperlock for awhile and had the one hand open close down. It is one upside of a lighter pull.

Does anyone else like to do this?

I enjoy the fidgeting satisfaction of the one hand opening capabilities of the 72. You gotta hold your mouth just right to get it open, but practice makes perfect.

I’m sure I’m asking for side to side wobble issues in the future…but I’ve been known to throw caution to the wind.
I do :thumbsup:

My 72 has a few years of use. It's not hard for me to do, and a bit easier as the blade has some use on it.

Back