$250 for a taiwan knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you like the taste of chinese because it looks like your gonna be eating a lot of it. The funny thing is though is your gonna be eating ramen noodles on a steak budget. Enjoy!

Ramen is a Japanese noodle dish, sir.

The fact that you keep lumping Taiwan and China together and making broad and unsupported assertions about costs and profit margins indicates that you really have no idea what you're talking about and no interest in intelligent discussion about the issues that would provide an intelligent answer to your initial post. This isn't a fanboy issue, this is just being moderately aware of economic realities. :thumbdown:

Listen guys, you got me wrong. I dont mind that its a taiwan made knife. I own a few import knives because usually they are a good bargain. But what I dont agree with is making something in taiwan or china and charging the same price as a knife made in america. There are a couple other companies that come to mind that produce both in the USA and overseas. The difference is that those companies price their product accordingly. If any of you think that producing something in Taiwan is anything other than cost cutting and increasing profit margins then your diluting yourself. Now people can act like a Spydie fanboy all they want. The fact of the matter is that positive feedback is not the only feedback that helps a company understand the demand of the public. But some of you have made it perfectly clear that you will swallow whatever spyderco feeds you. Hope you like the taste of chinese because it looks like your gonna be eating a lot of it. The funny thing is though is your gonna be eating ramen noodles on a steak budget. Enjoy!

I won't buy knives from China or Taiwan regardless of the price. The quality of the product has nothing to do with it. If I'm paying that kind of money for a knife it should give me pride of ownership. I don't get that from knives from China or Taiwan.

That is a fair argument, and one I can understand... Even knowing the Taiwan manufactures have better fit and finish than the Spydercos made in the US, the Pride of Ownership gives me some pause...

Side Note, is it even possible to pre-order this knife yet?

I should have just shut up and not given the original poster the benefit of the doubt in my response. I assumed he was serious, just misinformed.

His "...your diluting yourself." and "Now people can act like a Spydie fanboy all they want. ...The funny thing is though is your gonna be eating ramen noodles on a steak budget. Enjoy!" lines make it absolutely clear that the guy is a troll, really slow, or both.

"your diluting yourself" - wth? Its hard to believe anyone can cram that much dumb into 3 words by accident. It almost sounds like he could be quoting general ripper from dr. strangelove. The ramen noodles line is pure troll. Nobody says something that obnoxious as a parting line unless they're just trying to provoke.

I should have just shut up and not given the original poster the benefit of the doubt in my response. I assumed he was serious, just misinformed.

His "...your diluting yourself." and "Now people can act like a Spydie fanboy all they want. ...The funny thing is though is your gonna be eating ramen noodles on a steak budget. Enjoy!" lines make it absolutely clear that the guy is a troll, really slow, or both.

"your diluting yourself" - wth? Its hard to believe anyone can cram that much dumb into 3 words by accident. It almost sounds like he could be quoting general ripper from dr. strangelove. The ramen noodles line is pure troll. Nobody says something that obnoxious as a parting line unless they're just trying to provoke.

Yeah, the original poster was pretty ignorant... But there are some downsides to having a knife made in Taiwan... Mainly pride of ownership.

It wasn't that long ago that, "Made in Japan" meant that the product was junk. Now we revere that country as a high level manufacturer of desirable goods. Next, it was Taiwan that made junk and when it came along and made quality control improvements and the money started to flow, it was China's turn to be at the bottom of the heap. Now, there is nowhere to get an iPhone, or for that matter, most of the rest of the goods we purchase, from anywhere else. At first, the low cost lures companies to have products manufactured in Asia, and when we buy enough at the substandard levels we open the door for factory and quality improvements, then the next thing you know we lose American jobs..!

I fixed it for you.

That said I love my Gayle Bradley.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I dont buy knives made in China or Taiwan either. Thats just me and I'm not in the fan base that buys into the whole Taiwan is better. In fact I think Spyderco should make all their product in the US. I just cant see why the price point is so high on the Taiwan knives. I own a lot of Spyderco knives, over 75 at last count but except for 2 Salsa's and 1 Byrd they are all Seki and US made. The Salsa's and Byrd were all gifts BTW.

I happen to agree with the OP as well while I would not phrase it like he does, I have been very disapointed with the last few spyderco releases and have begun to migrate away from the brand. The Millie is still my EDC and I belive a staple in any collection but the exporting of designs and the limited models made in the states compared to lets says ZT who is producing collaboration knives in the USA for the same price point gets my money instead of spyderco's which are produced more and more over seas.

"loose american jobs..." it's not hard to imagine that if an american company does not choose to outsource, or even go into a mild business agreement outside, it's US operation COULD close down.

why do you think US companies outsource, to increase profits? no. it's a strategic move and when you say "strategic," words like "immediate survival" and "long-term going concern" are involved. so don't push the lack-of-pride-of-ownership argument too far. it's understandable but lacks principle.

why do you think US companies outsource, to increase profits?
Yes. Keeping production cost low allows for smaller price tags which equals more sales which equals profit.

They also listen to customers and try to do things that appeal to the buyers and collectors.

thats the point of this thread as i see it, voicing our opinion. Having the flipper made in the US would appeal to many of us.

Priced accordingly....with the same materials such as CPM-M4? Please send me a link!

The US $ is not doing well against eastern currency. The $ is actually lower due to the gloabal economy so guess what. You will have to pay more.

You thanked Kershaw, KAI USA for making products in US. Ummmm.. Spyderco Golden models? They are made in US. Why not thank them? Did you forget KAI is a Japanese company? You don't complain about that? KAI as a whole is probably 3 times the size of Spyderco. I love Kershaw and Spyderco but really, don't fool yourself both make models outside of the US and once again. Please send me a link to a Kershaw with a CPM-M4 blade or similar at a much cheaper price point than I can find a Spyderco Gayle Bradley for excample for $170 easily.

Jesus christ, once again! missing the point. Do you guys want to know why Spyderco fans have a reputation as "fanboys"? its because ANY time someone questions the company and their practices its like pitbulls fighting over a dead puppy. ITS NOT THAT ITS MADE OVERSEAS. ITS BECAUSE ITS NOT PRICED IN ACCORDANCE WITH A PRODUCT MADE IN TAIWAN. Got it? probably not. You probably only saw, "he disagreed with me, attack again" like a friggin robot. Yes I did thank kershaw. I dont care about the company being owned my a japanese corporation it has NOTHING, Not one bit to do with the politics and "Merican" (BTW Im from illinois so you can keep your hillbilly anecdotal criticisms to yourself) It has to do with the fact that when a company moves production to an asian country it is to save money. The part about it being for "the better of the product" an to "seek the best in manufacturing" is nothing but chocolate coated crap. It is the coating of a bitter pill that they use because they know people will ask why. When have you ever heard a company go, "we moved production to china to decrease manufacturing costs, and increase profit margins"

All im saying is if your going to make it in china or taiwan price it like it chinese or taiwan. And a perfect example of the a knife comparable to this flipper is the 0560 Super steel? ELMAX Ok not identical but its not like is S30V vs 440A. Titanium frame lock? Check. G10? Check. Lock Bar over travel stop? check. Bearing pivot? check. Street price Identical to the Spyderco.

Do we want to talk about Taiwan? OK CRKT ripple with a steel frame lock and a Acuto+ steel with IKBS. $120 street. Please people Ive been around this forum for a long time and I have many posts. Calling me a troll is an insult. And just because I question this move of spydercos doesnt make me a troll. But jumping on me just because I disagree with this move is being a fanboy.

BTW: the flipper doesnt have CPM M4. Its Carpenter CTS-204P

Now how many of you guys are car guys? Would you spend $250,000 on a lambo or ferrari if they moved production to Taiwan and kept the price the same? Wouldnt really be the same car would it? Even if made on the same machines.

Last edited:
"loose american jobs..." it's not hard to imagine that if an american company does not choose to outsource, or even go into a mild business agreement outside, it's US operation COULD close down..

I freely admit that I think it is unlikely that this thread will resolve or unravel every aspect of a global economy. As a working American paying taxes I can tell you as a sales rep that I wouldn't have a product to sell if it wasn't for overseas manufacturing. The great thing that we in America enjoy maybe more than our fair share is an overabundance of choice. There's positives and negatives tied to too much choice. Entitlement being on the negative side of that coin. I do think it lends itself to these types of discussions. Where everyone knows what Spyderco is doing and why they do it. I have to imagine that running a successful business in a global market is probably harder than I can imagine. This is because I don't run a successful international company. I work for one, but calling the shots is above my pay grade. Maybe one day I'll get there and I can contribute some absolute statements like those being passed around this thread.

Yeah, Im a troll. How many trolls do you know that last on this forum for 5 years and over 2000 posts. Maybe if you had more than 50 you would know more about this forum and how quick people get banned if all they were doing is trying to cause trouble. Not many last time I checked. I was called a troll way before I made those comments. So just remember who threw the first stone. Bottom line is that this is a forum of many opinions. If we all agreed on the same things this would be a very boring place. If we as a society dont speak up when we think a company is making a mistake then that is sending them a message that we agree with their methods. In this case I dont agree that a taiwan knife warrants a $250+ street price. And Im not a troll for thinking so and voicing that opinion. By forum definitions, Im not a troll, but you certainly are a newb.

Ramen is a Japanese noodle dish, sir.

Yes a japanese dish utilizing chinese style wheat noodles...... See I can use wikipedia too.

Yes a japanese dish utilizing chinese style wheat noodles...... See I can use wikipedia too.

By your logic, the Spyderco Brad Southard Folder is a Taiwan-manufactured knife designed by an American knifemaker for an American company, and if you want to hold Ramen to China, the Brad Southard Folder is far more American than you complain about. I also never questioned your ability to use Wikipedia.

I don't have a bone to pick with you, purpledc, but a little courtesy goes far in changing people's opinions. You speak highly of a forum where we can respectfully voice our various opinions, and I assume you want to see some sort of change by voicing yours, but you don't seem to be winning favors in this thread with your demeanor despite however many respectable points you make and I think you're getting farther from making any positive change.

Last edited:
Now how many of you guys are car guys? Would you spend $250,000 on a lambo or ferrari if they moved production to Taiwan and kept the price the same? Wouldnt really be the same car would it? Even if made on the same machines.

Apples to oranges

5th generation Camaros are made in Canada. I see plenty of them on the road, but I'm guessing you don't have a Canadian made conveyance.

This is a global economy.

The fit and finish of Taiwan knives is stellar. I could be wrong, but I would stipulate that Spyderco, being an American company, is where the buck (Profit) stops when it comes to knives made overseas.

I would love for someone from Spyderco just to make a sticky and show what knives of days past would have cost (total overhead + materials, etc..) the consumer were they made in the USA to end these threads. Do OPs think that some day Spyderco is just going to sever connection with overseas plants and move all knife production to Golden, CO, because Sal woke up and saw a thread in this or Spyderco's forum?

disclaimer* I am not a business owner, economist, consumerist, business manager or financial expert. I am just an American w/ moderate folding money and I have a dog.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back