$30 knife kicked the Sebenza out of my pocket

Just pulled the trigger on this knife on eBay for $34 shipped.... all because of this thread!!!!!

Hope I love it, sure I will. Joins my oso sweet, speed bump, needs work, and leek in my line of kershaws.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in another thread but Rob's (5.56) Skyline picture is what convinced me to get one also. I got it almost a month ago and it's been my main EDC since. It's my first Kershaw (other than the ZT0350 I bought this summer) and it won't be my last as I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the 0560. I love the blade shape and the overall feel of the Skyline. Great knife for everyday tasks and for the price, I don't mind beating on it harder than I would with some of my more expensive folders.

I've had mine out of the box for almost a week now and it's already showing some signs of surface rust. Can I use the same stuff you use on guns for storage on the knife?

Jumped on the Skyline bandwagon myself. I've had it about 12 hours so far and loving it. Thinking it is going to be a long term relationship!!

I bought a Skyline at Wally World for $29. Got it home and felt what I thought was flimsy utility kinda knife - not really cool. My wife returned it when she went up to the store later that day. Ughhh, :(

There are so many Kershaw's that I want right now, it's ridiculous...

Skyline is now definitely up there on the wish list

@bmilla35: You can use gun stuff, but be careful if you use the knife for food prep. I use froglube, which is a food safe clp.

ocnLogan:
I Have Both The Skyline And The Chill.

If You're Looking For The Best Of The Two, I Wouldn't Know What To Tell You. But As Far As Which One To Get I Would Suggest The Skyline.

Reasons Why:
USA Made
Wider Blade
Better Steel
Holds An Edge Well
And It Seems To Fit Better In The Hand.

I've had mine out of the box for almost a week now and it's already showing some signs of surface rust. Can I use the same stuff you use on guns for storage on the knife?

I used frogLube on mine, works awesome and got rid of the small rust spots!

Kershaws good at that, one of the first high quality knives I bought was a Leek and no matter what else I try and keep in my pocket t always finds its way way in there sooner rather then later.

I just noticed some light rust spots on the blade of my Skyline a day after washing the blade with dish soap and water and wiping it dry. I love the knife but am not impressed with how easily it can rust.

Update on mine:

Got it back from Kershaw, with "Repaired Knife - SC".

Good news: took about 3 weeks.

Bad news: flipper function still doesn't work worth a hoot, must use wrist flick (see thread, yes I have several flipper model knives). Back handle screw still protruding longer past frame, but with a strand of tough fiber or something sticking out behind rim of nut. Tried to back out screw to get rid of it, get about one half turn, whole nut in frame turns, but can't grip it to get apart and see about expoxying it or something. So have untight screw through rear and can never take it apart.

Shame, great blade and feel, but I think this will suffice as my first and last Kershaw. I'll see if I can get $25 for it on eBay, with full disclosure.

- OS

EDIT: Well, out of stubbornness, I sent it back. Throwing another 2 bucks and another 3 weeks into the dang thang.

Got knife back.
Still won't flip without wrist/arm movement.

Worse, the stripped out body nut not addressed at all, you can push seized nut/bolt back and forth but can't loosen or tighten it. Obvious nobody took it apart.
Judging by my experience, hard to believe folks rave about Kershaw CS.

Guess I'll call them tomorrow before I spend more in shipping than I did on the knife.

- OS

So, after some "discussion" on last call, they replaced knife. Just got it today.

It's almost like a different model from the one I've been sending in. Obviously the detente function was screwed up on the first one, this one feels quite distinct by comparison, flips fine. Who knows, maybe the washer assembly is wrong too, but I'm not taking them apart to compare (actually, can't totally take the original one apart, what with the screwed up body bolt and nut that wasn't fixed). Also, both back screws are the same length. The edge has wider grind on this one, the edge of blade next to flipper has a different cut, and the printing on one side of blade is located differently.

Really different knives. Only amazement is how Kershaw fixit folks couldn't see or feel it -- but I'm glad I stuck it out, finally have the same Skyline everyone is raving about in this thread.

- OS

That doesn't make sense. Finally get a a replacement that works perfectly from Kershaw and the 1st thing you're gonna do is take it apart??

That doesn't make sense. Finally get a a replacement that works perfectly from Kershaw and the 1st thing you're gonna do is take it apart??

Me? If so, what doesn't make sense seems to be your reading comprehension?

I clearly stated:
- "I'm not taking them apart to compare"
- "actually, can't totally take the original one apart, what with the screwed up body bolt and nut that wasn't fixed"

- OS

Last edited:
Yeah I really read that wrong huh? Speed reading and too intoxicated I supppose? :confused:

too light for me, the blade doesn't flip as easily as it should, imho. I love my JYD and ZT 0200 when it comes to flippers. And the Enlan E-01

Ahh, everyone seems to love these little buggers. I had one, but had to return it because it was too small for my hands. The end of the handle would sit halfway between my middle finger. I also wished they would had made the thumbstuds more functional or just removed them all together.

Make a larger one with better thumbstuds and I'm all over it ;)

Back