#35 Beer and Sausage Bar Tool Knife

Don’t take it personally Jiki Jiki , he gets riled up very easily. One of the reasons I prefer to buy my knives elsewhere.

I don't believe I was making a derogatory remark. My apologies if you were rubbed the wrong way. I knew you would have all the data to which I was using a very poor memory. Anyway, I think my point that the early reserve system could facilitate the FOMO response, which is not derogatory to the service you provide but rather comment on human behavior.

I guess I mis-interpreted the response on post #475. It seemed as if the reservation tool (mine specifically) as being given sole credit for some "bogusness".

My apologies for mis-interpreting. I do agree that EVERY instance in where there are many vying for the few, it becomes a bit busy. Whether it is an announced drop, a reported drop, or automated reservations. And of these, the early reserve is typically the first. But I do not think of any product that was a rush to reserve that was not a similar rush to pick up drops elsewhere. I see reported drops and success posts on facebook for many days after production dates on those high demand items. And here, to a limited degree, for those dealers that have respective memberships.

No doubt if GEC does larger production runs it will be better for dealers and those customers that are having trouble finding knives from smaller runs. Dealers don't want to put a low limit on what they can sell from each run. And turning people away is not good for anyone; except those customers that score on a shorter run I guess. But, highly anticipated patterns will still be in demand; and there is a good chance that demand will be larger than the production totals. So, although hopefully further apart, there will still be some stressful drops for all involved. As I have customers tell me all the time - "they are just knives" (that means a bit more to a one-man dealer than it does to most that have a real job).

I get that this knife is weird, but I really don’t understand the reaction it is creating. Why is it if someone wants this knife it must be fomo, trying to buy every gec, fear of no SFOs, etc and not that they just like the knife? I don’t imagine that’s the sentiment in the 33 thread.

This knife has brought out some strong opinions. It’s interesting that it seems even people that hate the knife are still following along through 20+ pages of posts. Typically if there’s a knife that’s not for me, I don’t spend my time following the thread, and I don’t feel compelled to pop in periodically and say the knife is dumb and question why someone wants it. I guess this one is more like watching a car accident for some people.

I’m not complaining, as everyone is entitled to their opinion and it doesn’t bother me. I’m just legitimately trying to understand why people care so much one way or the other.

I guess I mis-interpreted the response on post #475. It seemed as if the reservation tool (mine specifically) as being given sole credit for some "bogusness".

My apologies for mis-interpreting. I do agree that EVERY instance in where there are many vying for the few, it becomes a bit busy. Whether it is an announced drop, a reported drop, or automated reservations. And of these, the early reserve is typically the first. But I do not think of any product that was a rush to reserve that was not a similar rush to pick up drops elsewhere. I see reported drops and success posts on facebook for many days after production dates on those high demand items. And here, to a limited degree, for those dealers that have respective memberships.

No doubt if GEC does larger production runs it will be better for dealers and those customers that are having trouble finding knives from smaller runs. Dealers don't want to put a low limit on what they can sell from each run. And turning people away is not good for anyone; except those customers that score on a shorter run I guess. But, highly anticipated patterns will still be in demand; and there is a good chance that demand will be larger than the production totals. So, although hopefully further apart, there will still be some stressful drops for all involved. As I have customers tell me all the time - "they are just knives" (that means a bit more to a one-man dealer than it does to most that have a real job).
Rock and a hard place...you can't make everybody happy, but your system is fair and gives everybody a shot...

This whole GEC craze is kind of mind blowing to me. We are in some weird unpredictable times, and I can only wish them, and all of the dealers the best of luck navigating these waters.

As to this Beard and sausage knife, it has been an entertaining diversion reading the pro and con posts about it, but I for one would love to know how the thought process for this one came to fruition...was it a bet, a dare, a test of what could be ??? Maybe someday we will know. Maybe it is an inside joke that we will never be privy to. Me personally, I have no interest in it, I just find the debate about it to be fun to follow, may those who get one enjoy it for whatever reasons...in the end, it's only a knife.

Don’t take it personally Jiki Jiki , he gets riled up very easily. One of the reasons I prefer to buy my knives elsewhere.

I see it as a dealer who is very actively engaged with his customer base and proactively addresses concerns when they are brought up, especially when it involves his systems and website.

'Tis better to openly communicate with customers rather than risk miscommunications and misinterpretation.

I get that this knife is weird, but I really don’t understand the reaction it is creating. Why is it if someone wants this knife it must be fomo, trying to buy every gec, fear of no SFOs, etc and not that they just like the knife? I don’t imagine that’s the sentiment in the 33 thread.

This knife has brought out some strong opinions. It’s interesting that it seems even people that hate the knife are still following along through 20+ pages of posts. Typically if there’s a knife that’s not for me, I don’t spend my time following the thread, and I don’t feel compelled to pop in periodically and say the knife is dumb and question why someone wants it. I guess this one is more like watching a car accident for some people.

I’m not complaining, as everyone is entitled to their opinion and it doesn’t bother me. I’m just legitimately trying to understand why people care so much one way or the other.
Good point I have not even opened the 33 thread.

This was my first time using the reserve tool through CK. I wanted to make sure I had the knife locked down and didn't want to have to enslave myself to refreshing webpages in the future to get one. I was fortunate enough to get "reserved" status on mine, so now I sit back, relax, and prep the beer and sausages :) I imagine this won't be the last time I use the tool.

There is a lot of "hype" around GEC right now. It will undoubtedly feed into the amount of folks trying to secure one of these knives (for whatever intentions they have). I am just glad we have some new production photos to look at. Looks like 3 springs. I wonder if they are still waiting on bone and if we will see ebony next.

This was my first time using the reserve tool through CK. I wanted to make sure I had the knife locked down and didn't want to have to enslave myself to refreshing webpages in the future to get one. I was fortunate enough to get "reserved" status on mine, so now I sit back, relax, and prep the beer and sausages :) I imagine this won't be the last time I use the tool.

There is a lot of "hype" around GEC right now. It will undoubtedly feed into the amount of folks trying to secure one of these knives (for whatever intentions they have). I am just glad we have some new production photos to look at. Looks like 3 springs. I wonder if they are still waiting on bone and if we will see ebony next.

I have mine reserved elsewhere, but am in the same boat. I am genuinely looking forward to getting, and using, these knives. Are they an oddball design? Sure are, which is 100% of the draw for me. GEC makes a quality knife (which is why I own so many), and expect these will be made to similar standard. I can't wait to get the ebony in hand, and hope mine will be dark as night!

... I guess this one is more like watching a car accident for some people ...

Bingo.

... I’m just legitimately trying to understand why people care so much one way or the other.

I guess in my case, it's that I see GEC stooping to the level of kitsch with this design. That's upsetting in a way very different from seeing a nice traditional knife that I have no interest in come along. It feels more like a betrayal. I'm pretty much over it at this point, and have stopped complaining, so please don't view this as another complaint. I'm just trying to answer your question.

Everything old is new again...

InCQcsN.png

Good point I have not even opened the 33 thread.
Me neither. It’s not a knife I’m too interested in, so I haven’t had a desire to check it out.
Bingo.

I guess in my case, it's that I see GEC stooping to the level of kitsch with this design. That's upsetting in a way very different from seeing a nice traditional knife that I have no interest in come along. It feels more like a betrayal. I'm pretty much over it at this point, and have stopped complaining, so please don't view this as another complaint. I'm just trying to answer your question.
That makes sense. Thanks for the input.

Wow, now I want one in ebony, but only because of the controversy.
Bill Howard is to cutlery what Brian Setzer is to music, a genius.
Vote with your wallet, buy it if you like it, don’t buy it if you don’t like it.
The early reserve is handy for many, use or don’t use it. My personal opinion of Mike Latham he’s a stand up guy, got a lot on his plate, the early reserve rules to follow are listed.
There are plenty of patterns I don’t buy because I don’t like the pattern. Some knives I miss due to lack of funding at time of release. I am not mad at those who buy multiples for whatever reason.
The hostility has been addressed.
“Can’t we all just get along?” Rodney King, a very wise man.

Back