6 New Zero Tolerance Folders Announced at the 2016 SHOT Show

Hmm... Actually, I find them all to be rather underwhelming. ZT's most recent releases, aside from the original 0450 are either just plain ugly or too sci-fi looking. They actually remind me of some of the abominations that Kershaw has put out. I wish they'd find some new knifemakers/designers to work with.

So many of the new designs, especially from ZT, look like they could have come out of a United Cutlery catalog.

Ummmmmmmm..... notice anything?

6045blk_profile_1020x400.png

6045blk_clipside_closed_1020x400.png

In the video from Late Boy Scout at SHOT, it has a wave... OR does the wave get covered when the blade is open?

Hmm... Actually, I find them all to be rather underwhelming. ZT's most recent releases, aside from the original 0450 are either just plain ugly or too sci-fi looking. They actually remind me of some of the abominations that Kershaw has put out. I wish they'd find some new knifemakers/designers to work with.

I feel the same. Really sad that I sold my 0450.

In response to the few people who wondered why I am tired of ball bearing pivots: Zt use to be about tough knives not pretty flippers. I use to love my 0562 but everytime I use it outside around dust or dirt, I get a gritty feeling in the pivot. My other knives with washes do not get like that nearly as fast. To me makes the knife feel prissy. Like all it was meant for was to flip and close and cut paper. What happens to Zt being all about military grade knives. Now they just give us affordable factory produced knives based on high end customs. Zt is not making user knives anymore.

That is your opinion only. I personally have used my 0562 quite a lot, and it still flips open nicely. It works hard, and is still smooth as a dream. Come to think of it, rather like all of my other ZT knives.

When you've exhausted all other options when it comes to releasing new products, just add blackwash and a bearing pivot! :D

Or they could run a batch of some of the old designs, like the Kershaw 3600 Volt, Tilt and ZT 0888. It'd be great for collectors who didn't get the chance back then.

Or they could run a batch of some of the old designs, like the Kershaw 3600 Volt, Tilt and ZT 0888. It'd be great for collectors who didn't get the chance back then.

And a smaller 0600.

And a smaller 0600.

While they're at it, they could do more 0777 variant runs. Microtech is still selling their Matrix 0777 knockoffs - that's an untapped market they can easily 1-up Microtech in.

Or at least revisit their OTF project and show MT who's boss.

What happens to Zt being all about military grade knives. Now they just give us affordable factory produced knives based on high end customs. Zt is not making user knives anymore.

Just because it doesn't look tough doesn't mean that they're not tough. Despite the looks ZT knives are still pretty darn tough.

The design sharing shouldn't be too surprising as Kershaw and ZT fall under the KAI name.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I just expect better from ZT than I do Kershaw. IMO, ZT borrowing stylistic ideas from Kershaw isn't necessarily a good thing, unless they adapt some of the RJ Martin designs. I also would have liked to see ZT variations on more of the Onion designs, but these angular, Hibbon-looking atrocities do nothing for me. Oh, and don't even get me started on the fact that most of the Kershaw line is Chinese now...

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I just expect better from ZT than I do Kershaw. IMO, ZT borrowing stylistic ideas from Kershaw isn't necessarily a good thing, unless they adapt some of the RJ Martin designs. I also would have liked to see ZT variations on more of the Onion designs, but these angular, Hibbon-looking atrocities do nothing for me. Oh, and don't even get me started on the fact that most of the Kershaw line is Chinese now...

Your last point... I'm totally on board with you on that. Like a genuine bummer that I was looking at some of the designs I did actually like just to scroll through the specs and see 8cr13mov. I understand most of the reasoning behind it all but I feel like more and more of their manufacturing is going over seas. I remember liking Kershaw specifically because the majority of their stuff was done stateside but it seems that's not the case anymore.

[video=youtube;BgOqafryvbE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgOqafryvbE[/video]

Edit: I guess they've updated the prices on the website, they were lower yesterday.

0095BW looks just like the a cross between the CKF T90
and the Launch 1 from Kershaw...

Not really feeling this year's offerings to be honest with you...

Your last point... I'm totally on board with you on that. Like a genuine bummer that I was looking at some of the designs I did actually like just to scroll through the specs and see 8cr13mov. I understand most of the reasoning behind it all but I feel like more and more of their manufacturing is going over seas. I remember liking Kershaw specifically because the majority of their stuff was done stateside but it seems that's not the case anymore.

Yes, X1000. As I said above, I actually like the design, and appearance, of the Kershaw RJ Martin knives, like the Volt and Scrambler. I just want them made in the U.S. with quality materials.

Edit: I guess they've updated the prices on the website, they were lower yesterday.

The ZT website still has some incorrect information. I'm basing that off the ZT catalog and what Jim McNair said in the video. For instance, the ZT website has the MSRP of 0220 at $275 whereas it's $285.

I've posted the correct MSRP & street price or MAP (20% off MSRP) in post #1.

Last edited:
Back