$9,000 EDC! (BOB KRAMER)

WORTH IT?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo, I wouldn't pay even pay $900 for that. I'd give a kidney for a Stan Wilson or Ron Best.

That's a bit expensive for Pakistani made Damascus steel.... :D:D:D:D
Made in America.
As others have alreado stated, people usually ask BEFORE buying, just to make sure they are not spending money in something not worth it.

Once you buy it (whatever it is), does not make sense to ask for opinions.

If your intention is just to show it, ok, fine. But given it is a 9k pocket knife, 99% of the guys here will probably consider it not worth it. Even those who understand the concept of pocket jewlery.

I don't even consider knives over 200€ because I see them as tools... and given a knife (for me) is mainly for cutting, I don't feel comfortable dumping too much money on them. On the other hand, battery powered Milwakee 1/2" impact? Well... that's something I can extretch my budget for!

Just the other Knife when I was having Japanese Food, I discussed this with the Chef. He stated outright that a Knife is a Tool. It is meant to be used and ground down. I said I bought the $9,000 one to look at it, I have the $400 one that is at Wicked Edge right now getting sharpened that I will use to cut Mail open etc.

You are right. I love the term "pocket jewelry"!

I'm still waiting to try it on this hog.. but in all seriousness.. if you like it then why not. I had a Wayne Gretzky opc psa graded 9 rookie card that I paid 3500 for some years ago.. sold it but wish I never did cause now I miss it lol! But some people would look at it as if it's just a piece of cardboard with a picture of a dude on it... See what I'm saying? So have fun talking with the chefs, cut up some weirdly cooked tenderloin w it, and enjoy gawking at it. Whatever floats your boat, brother. What's next on your list of wants... A Ka Bar?

You’re right, because those that can afford a knife from Ron Lake don’t need to brag about their wealth. You choose the yellow Lamborghini of knives; the “look at me” piece.
I like and enjoy this characterization. Genuinely. But seriously, with this Ron Lake issue, I just spent the last five minutes looking this man up and there is no press on him. No sale results. That is like talking about an Underground Artist that no one knows. Sure, he may be the best. But Kramer gets the big money and the media!

Bob has certainly made his mark in the cutlery world and I’m sure you will enjoy the knife for years to come

The comments about Pakistani steel are silly and unwarranted

Here is a Lake I got to look at before it sold for 55k a few years ago at Blade

As for you asking is it worth it .......only you can answer that

I like how you qualified Kramer's impact on the cutlery world. We all have to eat and this is a fantastic market for it. All these swords and Katanas people buy will never make it out of the display case.

If I have to sit there and explain to the person I am talking to about what a Lake is, I cannot. If I have to talk about the Kramer, I can simply say his last Knife, Bourdain's, sold at Auction for 230,000USD. Much easier conversation.

Why does the Lake warrant that kind of money?! I am still trying to grasp it. It isn't even pretty!

Well if you're happy with it, I can dig it.

Most of us simply can't fathom spending that much on a knife, regardless of the investment. Personally, I'm just a regular guy with a family and a mortgage on a house in a very middle class neighborhood. While I like to think of myself as a guy who can appreciate nicer things, no one would be shocked that I am not to be found at "the best" restaurants. Then again, in my part of the world, a really nice meal out for 2 at the swankiest of places sparing no expense on drinks and desserts will run about $210 with tip at the absolute most. No need to impress the chefs with a 9 grand folder.

My honest thoughts: If a knife is worth $9,000 to me (and I had 9k to spend), I would buy it. However, I would only buy it if owning it pleased me on a deep level. If the fit and finish and the action moved me on a spiritual level. If the handfit was absolute perfection, maybe. Quite honestly, I think the only way I would spend over $1000 on a knife would be from a maker I personally know and have watched grow and become masterful. I would like to think that 30 years from now I could use some of my meager investments to commission Andy Roy to make me something worth passing down to my grandkids. By that point, I'm sure he'll be commanding Master level prices and have a years long list and worth every bit of time and money spent. It probably won't run 9 grand, but whatever it costs it would be worth having something made by an old friend and good guy I have watched come up in the industry. I wouldn't have him make something made to flip. I'd have it made to cherish.

Then again, the nice thing about this hobby is that there no wrong way to do it. Still, if I may be frank, if the largest knife board in the world filled with the most knowledgeable minds in the knife world are left scratching their heads as to why it costs that much, then spending 9,000 on a knife is only going to be able to be justified through self validation.

Even still, end your knife if it sparks joy.

What a wonderfully worded and thoughtful response!

I just have been simply looking at the "Ultimate" EDC since I first registered this account. Hell, even my first thread was about this. The very reason I joined this site even.

Not my intention to flip this Knife, as was said in a previous comment, the market for this is niche, but definitely there. The Knife was part of a set, with my one being the "Evil" and the other one being the "Good". I simply like an exit strategy in all that I do, and I explicitly asked for the contact details of the other buyer, should they agree to share with me (they did). I am always open to buy his Knife, and I presume he is open to buy mine. So that's my immediate out.

Now that I have your attention, what would you buy given a limitless budget? This Ron Lake is simply not doing it for me. He isn't using creative steels or even pretty patterns. Just exquisite engravings on precious metals which I can have a Jeweler do tomorrow if I wanted it done. Which actually gives me an idea for my next one actually...

I like how you qualified Kramer's impact on the cutlery world. We all have to eat and this is a fantastic market for it. All these swords and Katanas people buy will never make it out of the display case.

If I have to sit there and explain to the person I am talking to about what a Lake is, I cannot. If I have to talk about the Kramer, I can simply say his last Knife, Bourdain's, sold at Auction for 230,000USD. Much easier conversation.

Why does the Lake warrant that kind of money?! I am still trying to grasp it. It isn't even pretty!
I'm pretty new to this, but isn't Lake labeled the father of folders or whatever? Has his work in one of the smithsonians as well right? Hall of Fame? Seems like Lake is Kramer's arch memesis. Muahahahahahahaaaaaaa! Lake just seems more genuine and less of a bullshitter, so I'd ride with Lake if I had to drop my savings on a piece of steel. That's just me though.

I'm still waiting to try it on this hog.. but in all seriousness.. if you like it then why not. I had a Wayne Gretzky opc psa graded 9 rookie card that I paid 3500 for some years ago.. sold it but wish I never did cause now I miss it lol! But some people would look at it as if it's just a piece of cardboard with a picture of a dude on it... See what I'm saying? So have fun talking with the chefs, cut up some weirdly cooked tenderloin w it, and enjoy gawking at it. Whatever floats your boat, brother. What's next on your list of wants... A Ka Bar?

Will, cause of this thread, dictate my next purchase. What I am thinking now, just cause of all this talk, is a Chef's Knife, done by either Kramer or someone else. But the handle, I will ask the desired dimensions for, and have cast for me in Platinum. Then I am thinking either Micro-Pave set with CVDs, and or Channel Set with Baguette Diamonds. I have access to all this. Then on the top and the bottom, where the handles "Sandwich" the Knife, I will get some top engraver do something intricate on it.

But love that Kramer, baby! Truth... Would you use it to cut anything? I'm serious lol! I'd be wicked flipping hesitent. If I had a knife like that I would be constantly fighting that battle in my head lol
I'm pretty new to this, but isn't Lake labeled the father of folders or whatever? Has his work in one of the smithsonians as well right? Hall of Fame? Seems like Lake is Kramer's arch memesis. Muahahahahahahaaaaaaa! Lake just seems more genuine and less of a bullshitter, so I'd ride with Lake if I had to drop my savings on a piece of steel. That's just me though.

But love that Kramer, baby! Truth... Would you use it to cut anything? I'm serious lol! I'd be wicked flipping hesitent. If I had a knife like that I would be constantly fighting that battle in my head lol

I have the Carbon Fiber one at Wicked Edge right now, THAT one, for $400, I will be cutting Boxes. I don't think the Kramer one is that sharp. I am going to the Jeweler later this week anyways, I will borrow his Microscope and check the grind on this Knife.

I like and enjoy this characterization. Genuinely. But seriously, with this Ron Lake issue, I just spent the last five minutes looking this man up and there is no press on him. No sale results. That is like talking about an Underground Artist that no one knows. Sure, he may be the best. But Kramer gets the big money and the media!
If you spend more than five minutes learning about knives, you might discover many well respected knife makers making high quality knives. If the Lake doesn't appeal to you though, that's fine. It's your money to spend on what you like.
...Micro-Pave set with CVDs...
I'd wait and save up for something nicer, with decent sized stones. ;)

If you spend more than five minutes learning about knives, you might discover many well respected knife makers making high quality knives. If the Lake doesn't appeal to you though, that's fine. It's your money to spend on what you like.

I'd wait and save up for something nicer, with decent sized stones. ;)

I have emailed Ron Lake, tempted to buy something just to complete this exercise and put it to bed!

You sure as heck should have bought it. If you choose to beat the beans out of it, right on. Please feel free to post pics.

At first I wondered who Bob Kramer is. Then I noticed I have his link saved in my million page word doc of knife sites, so I did stumble on him at some point. Sorry I didn't get in until page 3.

I think you spent money like a real champ, good job, very aspirational :thumbsup:

What other cutlery do you own? I'm really only interested in pieces that cost at least 5 figs, but you'll get there.

If that knife lights your “fire”, great. Im glad you found that one knife to satisfy your desire.

My opinion is buy what you can afford. Obviously you are well heeled shall we say so I see no reason why you would have to justify to anyone what you spend on knives. Nor seek opinions on such things. Everybody's tastes are different and folks afford what they can afford and I don't begrudge any of it to anyone. I am not rich by any means. My wife and I have the ability to just about purchase anything that we need to without any undue harm to finances. As long as that purchase benefits the family in some way shape or form.

Now a simple example would be to look at the TV show Forged in Fire. Every single winner sold the tools they made for 10 grand. They made the tool that won the tests the tool was put through and rec. 10 grand for it, so technically they sold the knife for 10 grand. None of what I have seen on the show has equaled the caliber of your folder and none had the name that Bob Kramer does. Now me I like bowies and certain makers mostly from the past have the ability to claim extremely high prices on the secondary market. Names like DE Henry, Bill Moran, Bob Loveless, Jay Hendrickson, Fowler, Batson etc.etc. Would I ever use one of those knives for anything? Nope it would go right a strong box. So my thought is this buy what you like and what you enjoy. Whatever floats your boat and you don't regret the out lay of funds well your good to go in my book. keepem sharp

I dunno, I really expected some precious metals to be involved and then I read the description. I get there's a lot of great engraving work and it's a highly respected maker but no gold? not even silver?
No inlays of precious gems or exotic hardwood? Mammoth? Nothing? It seems kinda "plain jane" for that kind of dough but what do I know, my most expensive knife cost $500.

If you take yourself as a high end knife collector and you do not know who Lake is than what can I say

I know and like Bob Kramer and I’m very happy for all his success

he is a good Smith and a master marketer

in the world of chef knives he set the bar

In the world of high end folders Lake is one of the makers that set the bar

as for no one using high end swords etc your wrong again

I use 10k swords to cut things and so do many others

If your trying to impress people post....this in the custom forum where knives sell in that price range and much more frequently than here

seems like you want to start a .......is it worth it thread ....but then you question is the Lake worth it

to the man who payed 55k for the one I posted it is

in this world there are guys that go to the Blade Show and drop a 1ook on knives and don’t blink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back