1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

$9,000 EDC! (BOB KRAMER)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by MrTong, Mar 2, 2020.

WORTH IT?

1. YES

2. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Knives have practical, investment and entertainment values. As long as the balance on the whole experience comes up positive and you can swing it without selling an important major organ, go for it and enjoy it. The nominal value ($9,000) is kind of a meaningless distraction; the amount may be significant to most of us and just petty cash to you. The equation holds true whether the knife sold for a few dollars or a few hundred thousand.

n2s

panella likes this.
  2. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Some would say that anything north of a Mora isn't worth it.

If I could spend that amount of money on a knife, I probably would,but it wouldn't have been that one.

3. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2017
    If you like it, and blowing 9 grand on a pocket knife wont hurt you or your family financially, then whats the problem? I think its a waste of money, $9000 towards a charity would be better but then again its not my money.

SW-EDC and MarkN86 like this.
  4. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    You don't need input, you are seeking attention.

5. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    so you didn't even buy the knife because you like it ? you bought it because you thought it would give you status? ... in that case a simple "no" it's not worth it.

6. Wannabe Rambo Guy

Wannabe Rambo Guy

Feb 11, 2020
    I need 4 new tire sensors for my truck installed

7. unwisefool

Jan 22, 2007
    Are you sure that sebenza is legit? It looks a little fuzzy...

8. unwisefool

Jan 22, 2007
    Tire pressure monitors drive me nuts. They always break or they are never exactly right so I'm constantly checking the tires anyway

Wannabe Rambo Guy likes this.
  9. Puppadore

Puppadore

Jan 18, 2020
    Since OP sees this more as art piece & investment...

I think this ALL depends on your wealth level. NOT at all about what the inherent or intrinsic value of an object is, but what the perceived value is. Similar to how much a painting is rather than the price of a shovel at Walmart.

For example, $20 is just chump change for most of us Americans. Is it poor investment to buy a $20 whatever...? Eh, I enjoy the collectible, It’s cool, I break it, whatever.

How about if u were dirt poor and broke as turd in Somalia. No way you can justify any knife over $100. Everyone there will say you are retarded for buying a $100 knife.

The point is, if you have enough wealth to carry $400 knife as a beater knife. You probably see a $9k investment as what most of us see as $200 investment. Expensive...?well relatively so. But most wont go broke over it.

Be happy of your abundance, appreciate the art, enjoy your wealth status of capitalism, and have fun. If someone doesnt see a $400 knife used as beater knife as sensible, they wont see a $9k knife as sensible either.

panella and Black Oak Bladeworks like this.
  10. Wannabe Rambo Guy

Wannabe Rambo Guy

Feb 11, 2020
    Dealership wants about 1200.. thank God they don't inspect vehicles down here like they did in MA or I'd be faaaahked. It still bugs though lol

11. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I can't tell you yet if it is worth it. You have to do a youtube video and see if it will baton. That is the be all, end all test for any type of knife and I will fight anyone that says otherwise.

12. Wannabe Rambo Guy

Wannabe Rambo Guy

Feb 11, 2020
    Stevie Y needs to kick Blasholes ass out and get Gallant in there before some other team steals him. Rip, Probie and Burr

13. MrTong

MrTong I'm an ass who charges back his membership

Sep 7, 2016
    An articulate and well thought out reply. I will research the names you presented.

I am the type of Guy that bought a LaFerrari but didn’t look up the specifications, ask all those technical questions. I liked the look of it. It holds it’s value plus, that’s enough for me.

Likewise with this exercise. I didn’t ask this and that about it. It’s a great Brand. Will resell should I need to, plus it’s portable.

In short, I don’t need to go to a Blade Show to figure out the names I need to know. I’ll buy a Ronny Lake just to complete this exercise but not with that Sims 70s looming handle.

14. MrTong

MrTong I'm an ass who charges back his membership

Sep 7, 2016
    My favorite test of these things are always to cut a Shiso Leaf in Water. But I have a bad feeling about dipping this in Water unless I dry it immediately afterwards.

Apprently, Bob donated 10% of all the sales from the three Knives to Charity. $4,000 in total.

This thread genuinely made me feel better about the purchase. Least I can justify it as an art piece now.

Everyone loves Bob Kramer.

I just hope I don’t drop it!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2020
  15. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    You didn't buy a knife, you bought a work of art that just happens to be a knife. This in itself is fine, there's nothing wrong with buying something you like if you have the disposable income. You then proceeded to come onto a board of knife enthusiasts and brag about how you paid $9k for a knife in an effort to stoke your ego further. Furthermore, you then bragged that you would gladly blow more money on things you think are pretty and have no real practical interest in. Not sure what you were thinking, but I for one am not impressed. If you feel so badly about yourself that you care so deeply what others think you need to reevaluate where you are in life.

If you are indeed the very same Kenneth Tong I see online, the very same who lives and thrives on shock value, you can take a long walk off a short pier. We have enough trolls here already. Have a wonderful day.

AntDog, WValtakis, Lee D and 3 others like this.
  16. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Im glad you're happy about your purchase. After all, that's what matters.

Let us know how you feel when you try to sell it.

17. panella

panella

Sep 2, 2003
    LOL. It's your money. Spend it as you like and enjoy it. $9000 on a folder? Why not if you can afford it? It puts money into circulation and encourages artisanship. I'd buy a $12,000 Richard Reynoso classical guitar in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Now your chef's knife is another matter. It sounds like one you might find in Liberace's kitchen. And it would be a bacteria magnet with all those channel set diamonds. Yuk. But I think you were just trying to be provocative so I didn't take it seriously.

Oh, and there are always cooks in any kitchen. One Head Chef or Executive Chef. Usually a Banquet Chef in hotels. One to several Sous Chefs. The rest are cooks/commis, even at 3 star Michelin restaurants.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  18. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    ^ This

Gravy likes this.
  19. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :confused: For EDC ? You might be able to do worse ...but this gets close ! :rolleyes:

20. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    I applaud your purchase and this thread. I hope that knife brings more joy and entertainment for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.