Am I Broken?

FullMetalJackass

Gold Member
If you can't have a passion, if you have to ask permission for a purchase in your household, something is definitely broken.

Jsega51

Gold Member
Sell off half of your knives, wait 3 weeks, and you’ll find something to buy for sure.

I am curious if part of the passion loss is the fact that there really isnt much available right now? Maybe what you really have been wanting is on constant OOS status. Just asking because that is my dilemma. I feel you though OP, I would wait until you know, no sense in forcing anything.

Driften

Gold Member
I know what you mean. I had about the same thing in mind... around $600 but there wasn't much I was interested in. In the end I bought a Shiro Hation off the exchange. I also recently got a We mini buster. I'm loving that knife. I was unmoved by the reviews but as they were drying up at the dealers I got one and it's an excellent knife with a great action.

I see sharp by design is doing a new pre-order this weekend....

I agree with others that you should wait. Eventually you will see something you like and have the funds available so you can jump on it.

Driften

Gold Member
I think part of the problem is many makers can't meet demand right now. Demco? Nope, most CRK's, Nope, etc.

So many things we might lust over aren't available so it makes choices hard to make.

gazz98

Gold Member
If nothing speaks to you at the moment, don't force it.

My wife and I each have a "fun" fund that we use to buy fun stuff. Any knives, ammo, gear, etc comes out of my "fun" fund.

Or you could buy an Endura for $100 and send me $500 for the consult fee.

LX_Emergency

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Lot of people suggesting OP "Grow a pair" or that his relationship is broken.'

I read his comment as that its more along the lines of good natured ribbing between him an his partner. Nothing really broken there.

Anyway I understand how you feel. My wife has always been very supportive and never made a big fuss about any of my purchases either. Somehow that's made me hold back more in buying new things. I've realised that my need/want isn't as great as I first thought.

Lately I'm still interested in many knives. Usually just not interested enough that I'd want to spend any money on them though.

I ended up placing an order with a maker that I really liked in a personal capacity where I told him "make me something nice, No design or material paramaters, just a couple of functional demands. (full grip, good user, lock."

Took him quite a while but in the end he sent me a gorgeous knife that was fully worth the wait and will never ever leave my collection. It's a relationship piece rather than just a knife now.

EDIT: This thread is worthless without pictures

VvDDgb8.jpg

I am also satisfied with my collection. Enough various users and a few nicer knives. All kinds of super steels. Size ranging from machetes to SAKs. But now I am looking at ethnic, traditional, handmade knives, using only natural materials and that is all uncharted territory for me. So the adventure goes on.

Rob47

Gold Member
Find a jewelry store that carries the full line of William Henry knives. Handle a few. Maybe you’ll be inspired. Or,
Look at knives costing well over $600, be inspired, then find one you can “settle for” with your “limited” budget.

herisson

Apple slicing rocking chair dweller
Their reading comprehension is broken.
It's OK to think, even to overthink. The more experience is fueled into this thinking the better the thinking gets. So... buy knives, use them, appreciate them, buy more / better, get a grip, eventually...

David Mary

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Ahh, No. In all humor there is truth. Maybe you need to read more closely. That being said, I was being a bit facetious.

You typed six words that could have been meant any number of ways. No emojis, no memes, or any other indication you were joking. Your personality, sense of humour and intent are not intrinsically tied to the default forum font. But if we're supposed to guess based simply on typed words what is a joke and what is not, then based on all this, I'm going to have to say the part in bold is a joke. ;)

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC