Am I weird for cutting my steak and chicken with a folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i love knives. Always have. But i have always kinda looked at people pulling their edc to cut food at a restaurant as a "look at me" type tactic. Sorta like crocodile dundee shaving with his bowie. Its not practical, will hurt the edge of the knife, and steak knives are provided at restaurants for a reason. So you dont have to bring your own. I have a knife on me for one purpose. To use when i need it. And cutting a steak at a dining establishment that provides silverware to me isn't a need. It just brings attention needlessly. And i think of all the crap i cut with my knife and the last thing i want to do is cut my food with it. If you really want to be og pimp knife user while dining out get yourself a high quality set of personal silverware in a case and bring it to the place. You may be looked at as a douche, but it will be the right tool for the job.

^^this !!

ROFL, In where I live I would be hesitant to use my folder (major city) but otherwise don't see a reason not to. Have seen lots of YT videos about meetings ppl have at restaurants during BladeShow. All take out their folders and its hilarious to use a huge chunk of beefy folder to spread butter on your bread. lol

I feel like people are shocked to see people using knives (tool) because so few that have them are worried abou the public shock factor. I think it has a lot less to do with actual fear of someone being dangerous, or that would be lessened by more people using them. You don't see people freaking out ever time someone pulls out a set of car keys.

You don't need a cutting board as you are usually supplied with one. Throw your steak or chicken on top of your veggies and just be careful. Or fries if you have an aversion to vegetables. Or a slice of bread. If your eating a steak and it's cooked properly, no more than medium-rare, soaking up the 'juice' with a piece of bread is good eating anyways. If your knife is sharp it should be no problem to just cut thru the meat and stop without grinding it into the plate. It's also not that difficult to hold whatever slightly in the air with your fork so you can avoid the plate.

I also don't worry about what might be on my knife because these days I carry multiple knives and one is clean, but before I did that I would just go into the bathroom and wash the blade off with some soap and be good to go. You do wash your hands before you eat, don't you?!?

I also don't like small knives so my folder usually has plenty of blade to cut up a meal without getting gunk in the pivot. But even if I did it's no big deal to clean as I use my folders for cleaning animals I've killed hunting- from gutting, to skinning, to butchering/deboning, which really gets a knife full of gunk. And I'm able to do it without taking the knife apart!!! I just deleted my little rant because it was way off topic. But with about 5 or so threads in the last month with people complaining about stripping out fasteners it is on my mind and has me shaking my head and I'm really having to refrain ranting on about it.

Anyways, I digress.

I sometimes use my knife in a restaurant but not always. Usually no one ever notices and the only funny looks I get are from the girl(s) at the table. But do what you like and what makes you happy as life is too short not to.

Use your knife if you like. I take a nice looking custom pocket fixed blade if I think there is a chance it will be needed. It's not difficult to cut food without putting the edge into the plate.

Yes, Texas Roadhouse supplies you with silverware for this..... I usually just get beer and free peanuts...So I really have no right to judge. You have a great girl either way

Next you'll tell me this is weird:

mq5Y5DQ.jpg

uqE03xk.jpg

UWLUBKu.jpg

lTMWxSL.jpg

NJ8s4CQ.jpg

:D

Was part of a review and not something I normally do, but no one cared at all.
Not...at...all.

I got no attention, negative or positive.

Try that combo on an english muffin next time.
One of my all time favorite breakfast treats.
Cheers

If I'm in a restaurant and the provided knife won't cut, I don't have the wrong knife I have the wrong restaurant.

Definitely weird, as in "something most other people don't do and would not normally consider doing."

I have at times used a pocket knife to cut food at restaurants, fully knowing that: a) it's weird, b) my wife doesn't care, and c) I have completely run out of f*cks to give about what other people might think about it.

My knife of choice for this task is a Case Trapper though I have used a Victorinox Pioneer and Case Stockman before because that's what I had on me at the time.

I would not use a ZT or Benchmade Griptilian for steak cutting, however. That's just crazy. You think I'm some kind of nutcase? :D

I always use whatever blade I have that day to cut my food. My wife constantly tells me "you know they give you a knife here". It was priceless one time I cut a burger in half with a bright blue Endura and a guy 4 tables away lost the food from his mouth when he saw me with it. I just smiled and kept cutting. He figured out real fast I was no threat ;)

Who remembers the ads in Blade magazine when the Spyderco collaborated with Frank Centofante on the C25 and the ad showed the C25 used as a dinner knife cutting through a steak and the plate it was on. There's a reason they put serrations on steak knives. The points on the serrations keep the majority of the cutting edge from contacting the ceramic plate and dulling the sharpened portion of the wells in the serrations.

The original generation C25 is the one on the bottom.

Centofantes.jpg

spyderco-centofante-c25pgr-c25-green_1_d007b7a9e75dac9be32937db0965098e.jpg

If I'm carrying a folding knife it's likely lubricated with (and maybe coated in) Tuff Glide. And there's probably a bunch of pocket lint in and stuff in there. Not something I'd like to get in my food.

And when I'm done eating, I wouldn't want all that grease and stuff going back into my pocket.

The whole thing just seems kind of gross ... and not worth the hassle.

Well i do wipe the blade down well before and after lol. Grease does not get down in the pivot though. Not sure how yall are thinking im going at my steak lol.

I have folders that are specifically for cutting food because they just cut better than most kitchen knives. If you're gonna spend all that money on knives you should put them to use instead of hibernating them.

Yeah I dont get folks that baby their knives. I just bought a $465 knife and it wont stay scratchless for long. Those beautiful bronzed scales aint staying that way past a week.

I think some people forgot that knives are actually for cutting things. I wouldn't cut food with my CS Voyager that i carry at work and it's gotten oil and what not on it, thats why I have clean folders set aside for food tasks, they do a much better job than a crappy kitchen knife.

I wouldn't want to cut on a ceramic plate with my Sebenza. In the AG Russels catalogue they have folding steak knives that looked interesting.

... I have clean folders set aside for food tasks, they do a much better job than a crappy kitchen knife.
You know, they do sell non-crappy kitchen knives ;)

You may find they work better for thier intended task. Easier to clean, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back