Am I weird for cutting my steak and chicken with a folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It tastes better after being cut with my own knife"

I like to use a Spyderco salt . It does not matter of food or sticky stuff gets in the creases and pivot. Just throw it in the dishwasher at the end of the day and comes out perfect?

I have been doing this with my Spydercos for a long time and the heat from the dishwasher seems to even keep the blades from wobbling...seems to tighten them up and keep them tight.

Not sure if serious? I think throwing a knife with bearings in a dishwasher would not be good. Spydy salt might be ok but still would just rather take it apart to clean it if need be.

Knives are for cutting things. Last I checked, steak and chicken were classified as "things". Not weird.

I've done it a few times when I was living in the States. Once I remember at a busy restaurant they forgot to give me a knife, and a few more times when the knives were shockingly dull. I didn't make a show of it and I don't think even the people I was with noticed.

I do use my folder often during lunch break at work. I don't think anyone notices (or cares).

I think 60-70+ years ago if you asked this question people wiuld have laughed at you for asking because it was likely very common, more so the further back you go. And those guys used their knives for a lot more things on a daily basis than we even think about using them for today.

I still remember my grandfather using a knife that had been sharpened so many times it was probably half its normal width or less. He would regularly cut fruit with it and eat it with his knife.

Modern folk are to sophisticated. Lol

Nope, I keep this one in the side pocket of my Leatherman sheath for just such an occasion ;)

~Chip

I think some people forgot that knives are actually for cutting things. I wouldn't cut food with my CS Voyager that i carry at work and it's gotten oil and what not on it, thats why I have clean folders set aside for food tasks, they do a much better job than a crappy kitchen knife.

My kitchen knives will outperform your folders by such a broad margin there would simply be no comparison. Knives are for cutting the right things. If that's food for folders for you, that's all good, but you're absolutely using the wrong tool for the job.

When i use my Emerson roadhouse at Texas Roadhouse nobody even blinks. I think the griptilian was offensive.

I've cut food at a restaurant before. It's honestly a rare deal that whatever knife they supply isn't good enough. I eat my steak rare. and if chicken is that tough it goes back.

I don't remember any glances at me when I did, and I do carry a knife on me at all times specifically for food (as in it stays clean and cuts nothing but food). Sometimes it's a small traditional like a peanut, other times it's a Spyderco Military. Either way it's just a reason for me to carry more than one knife.

So I'm going to say it's not weird. :thumbup:

Amen, brother. I will discreetly open an olive-handled N°6 Opinel in restaurants where I require a sharp knife. Sweetheart has commented on it before, but no one else has given me a glance. Next time out it will probably be the copper and carbon Mercator.

As for the objections based on food in the works of the knife or damage to the blade, I would suggest those knife owners learn to live a little. Knives can be cleaned and sharpened; and no one is suggesting you bury the handle in your baked potato and saw the plate in half.

I suspect that many of today's knife carriers, were they to be smallsword bearers in the 18h cent., would have hesitated to draw their weapon for fear their opponent might get blood on it. 😜

Zieg

My FFG enduras, manix lightweights, and opinels are my favorite food prep knives. I have a friend (not a knife guy) who laughed at me for pulling out my opinel to cut up some sausage he served. I made him try it and he couldn't believe how a sharp knife changed everything. He is now the proud owner of his own opinel #8. That said I use whatever folder I have for whatever food I have if what is provided is not up to par. I do it at work, home, or out in public. Now I have my eyes on a Spyderco chef that may become an EDC because of food.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If you don't want to look weird to your GF, then marry her.
I've been married for almost 30 years, my wife wouldn't notice if I used a chain saw to cut my food.

I kinda think it's weird.

Though on this forum lots of members use folders for food prep. So I must be in the minority.

Not something I would do with my EDC. Yes I actually carry the same knife everyday.I strip down my knife weekly for maintance. The stuff I find in there isn't anything I want near my food.

I'll sometimes carry a second folder for one of several specific roles, but a clean knife for food isn't one of them.

"Weird" may be a little strong, but "odd" would probably apply, as it is outside societal norms.

I've used a folder when no suitable tool was available, but I generally use whatever is provided.

I will say I've taken to carrying my Fairly Backpacker when I'm heading out to eat, just in case I'm faced with a culinary emergency, such as partially-sliced loaf of bread or an overly thick sandwich. It's small, thin, lightweight, has no nooks and crannies to support backterial growth, and works like a champ:

62925-4dee306ae11d4b48bb97391456029f23.jpeg

Girly friend thinks so and I have gotten some unusual looks at Texas Roadhouse when I pull out the Griptillian and start cutting away [emoji23]

I do exactly the same.
They're just jealous cause they don't have a benchmade [emoji3]

"Look all you want, i'll still have nicer cut on my stake than you"

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Personally I never use my folders in a restaurant for any reason.

Figure if the supplied knife isn't good enough then it's not worth eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back